Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

post-2949-0-27469800-1330891759.jpg

My bag for the weekend. Not my gear, but rented in by the production.

The Audio Limited wireless are very very very bad. Whenever the transmitter is more than 20 metres away from me, i get loads of RF hits with dropouts. Not very nice, when recording subtle dialogue. I scanned the spectrum, and the frequencies i chose are not intermodulating, nor already occupied by other gear. My Senny G3 works with no issue whatsoever.

The 744T and the 442 are a nice combo though. Wish there was post-fader direct-out!

Recorded on the 5D Mark II. The Sennheiser G3 sent timecode to the 5D's audio track, so syncing in post will be a (relative) breeze.

If you route the four direct out connectors from the 442 into the 744, then the 442 outs become post fader direct outs controlled by the larger 442 fader pots. Then the 442 gain pots control both the gain for the 442 and the 744. It sucks a bit having to mix with the gain pots but you become used to it.

If you route the four direct out connectors from the 442 into the 744, then the 442 outs become post fader direct outs controlled by the larger 442 fader pots. Then the 442 gain pots control both the gain for the 442 and the 744. It sucks a bit having to mix with the gain pots but you become used to it.

I had it set up like this - direct out to the 744. What i wanted, was to be able to use the bigger pots, instead of the small gain pots - but that is not possible with the 442, but the 552 can do it.

P-did; Dual mode has been working well in the bag. You sacrifice the protection of true diversity but the mini SD on the tx's and ability to re-record to the Nomad add confidence. I'd say the range is definitely more limited in dual. I've been across a wide street and had a few drops and through a few walls etc..but for the majority of the time mixing from the bag I'm close enough to the action and they've worked very well. And of coarse if 1 or 2 radio mics are being used they go into Single mode and I'm good.

You've had hits across a wide street? That's depressing. Wireless voodoo abounds of course, but I expected the Zaxcoms to behave better than that after all the praise. Are some people only using them in single mode and simply spending a small fortune on duplicate kits?

With time, I learned one thing with my RX900's: Scan freqs

I re-scan on every location I go with my Zaxes and that helps a lot. On the same day, I can scan three times,

It became an habit... get my rig on and scan before going any further.

Maybe it's the same with QRX'es ...

I must say I am really enjoying this discussion, and it is great to see so many different set ups, but is it possible for some people to explain a little further about two particular combinations on mixer and recorders that I have seen.

The Nomad and the 552 in the same bag set up has me a little unsure of why you would combine these two items. I thought the Nomad was a stand alone mixer/recorder in whatever combination you have, ie 4,6,8 track and the 552 has five inputs which mixes down to a two track recorder. Sure you can do multi track iso records on the Nomad and then do a two track mix on the 552. But can't the Nomad do that anyway, granted you have enough tracks.

I am also curious about the 744T and the 552 combination as well. This combination has me a little confused. You can record four iso tacks on the 744, but then you have that fith channel on the 552 which, I guess can only be recorded by the internal two track recorder. You then end up with two different recording destinations and perhaps two different sources of media SD and CF cards.

Could someone enlighten me on these two setups. I'm not being critical, I would like to understand the philosophy behind these combinations of mixer and recorders. I am in the market for a new recorder/mixer myself and have my sights set upon a 788 and CL8 combo, but would like to know more.

Rado said the 552 is just a backup.

"It does not block anything. The RF spray o just the same. It is not disappointing. Since firmware 2.77 and countless hours of testing my nomad is rock solid. The 552 is there just as backup. I will b working on a raft on lake mead and later in the tunnels underneath the lake. I bring 2 of everything when I work there. "

I must say I am really enjoying this discussion, and it is great to see so many different set ups, but is it possible for some people to explain a little further about two particular combinations on mixer and recorders that I have seen.

The Nomad and the 552 in the same bag set up has me a little unsure of why you would combine these two items. I thought the Nomad was a stand alone mixer/recorder in whatever combination you have, ie 4,6,8 track and the 552 has five inputs which mixes down to a two track recorder. Sure you can do multi track iso records on the Nomad and then do a two track mix on the 552. But can't the Nomad do that anyway, granted you have enough tracks.

I am also curious about the 744T and the 552 combination as well. This combination has me a little confused. You can record four iso tacks on the 744, but then you have that fith channel on the 552 which, I guess can only be recorded by the internal two track recorder. You then end up with two different recording destinations and perhaps two different sources of media SD and CF cards.

Could someone enlighten me on these two setups. I'm not being critical, I would like to understand the philosophy behind these combinations of mixer and recorders. I am in the market for a new recorder/mixer myself and have my sights set upon a 788 and CL8 combo, but would like to know more.

I believe I'm one of those you mention with the 552 and the Nomad in the same bag. I did that for a classical music recital, and I wanted to run 2 recorders concurrently in case something happens with one. I try to always run 2 recorders when in a situation where I can't interupt due to technical problems. I've had hard drives fail on me in the middle of live concerts, and would've lost the whole song if I didn't have a backup recorder running.

That being said, when I'm in a situation where I can call cut, fix the problem, and start rolling again, I take the 552 out and run the Nomad by itself.

The 744/552 combo is a combo I've run for quite a while until I got my Nomad, there are a couple advantages of having the 552 in place. 4 mic pres instead of 2, slate mic, boom op talk back, and the ability to make a mix track to send to camera / IFB. If needed you could record your mix track to the 552 w/ timecode and then have ISOs on the 744, although generaly I just record the ISOs in the 744 and send a mix track to camera via a sen. g3.

In all the time I've owned the 552, I haven't used the 5th channel that often, if I'm above 4 channels I usually rent a 788.

K

The front of the bag is a Hawk Woods NP1 shoe power distro.

I have been running the Octopack with 8 blk 23's with no issues for a couple of years and now, I also now have 8 606 with new boards that are also running very happily with as good performance as any other block

I found that having some RF reflecting cloth against the 788 and keeping the cl8 side against the Octopack for a little separation means that spray is greatly reduced.

The Dipoles are now missing 2 screws!!!!!

I have been running the Octopack with 8 blk 23's with no issues for a couple of years and now, I also now have 8 606 with new boards that are also running very happily with as good performance as any other block

I'm at a loss as how other recordists managed to run the 'faulty' 606 without problems (especially 8!). It seems inconceivable given the problems that I and many others had.

I'm stumped. Utterly bamboozled.

I had the CL8 as a divider as well.

Gotta get me some of that RF fabric.

Me too!!!!

It does not block anything. The RF spray o just the same. It is not disappointing. Since firmware 2.77 and countless hours of testing my nomad is rock solid. The 552 is there just as backup. I will b working on a raft on lake mead and later in the tunnels underneath the lake. I bring 2 of everything when I work there.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Could the spray be from the IFB transmission of the nomad?