Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

Beautiful 633 rig,Tom!

Thanks. I know it doesn't look THAT impressive, but between finding all the parts, soldering, and getting it all to "line up" properly, it took a good three days of my life (maybe more).

I was thinking of building a 3 space (3 SRb's) for my 664, but I'm not sure I want to put in that much work again.

Tom

Yep! +1

Kind of my soon-to-be rig for summer. :-)

Ah! Please make sure you post pictures of your rig when it's completed. I'd like to see your ideas and design.

I will warn you, I used a plexiglass "cutting board" that I purchased from Bed Bath and Beyond for the base to mount everything. I'm not sure that was such a good idea. It's already developing some hairline cracks. I had tested a piece with a hammer on concrete, and it seemed like it was going to be okay. And it still might. We'll see.

Tom

Zaxcom_Nomad_kit_500p.jpg

Mics:

Sanken COS-11

DPA 4071

Sanken CS-3

Sanken CSS-5

Zaxcom 942

Zaxcom IFB-100

Sennheiser SK-2000

Sounddevice 702

Shoeps MK8 MK41

Welcome to Saint-Peterburg, Russia )

My current setup.

SD 633

Lectro VR Field w/ 6 VRT's and 6 SMQA's

V-Mount Battery powered (180wh lasts all day)

Lectro IFB transmitter (for IFB's + G3 receivers for scratch -- funny enough, they work since they are in the same frequency range)

It looks heavier than it really is and with my Petrol harness, I can run around comfortably for long periods of time.  Even with the 3 "mini" faders which are only line-level on the 633, the VR Field outputs line level hot enough with no problems so it's been great to have boom + 5 lavs with such a tiny mixer (although I usually am only using 2-3 lavs at any given time).

post-3912-0-12897800-1393973179_thumb.jp

My current setup.

SD 633

Lectro VR Field w/ 6 VRT's and 6 SMQA's

V-Mount Battery powered (180wh lasts all day)

Lectro IFB transmitter (for IFB's + G3 receivers for scratch -- funny enough, they work since they are in the same frequency range)

It looks heavier than it really is and with my Petrol harness, I can run around comfortably for long periods of time.  Even with the 3 "mini" faders which are only line-level on the 633, the VR Field outputs line level hot enough with no problems so it's been great to have boom + 5 lavs with such a tiny mixer (although I usually am only using 2-3 lavs at any given time).

Hi Cody, very cool setup with the venue and 633.  Would you mind explaining how you rigged your Dipoles in the front pouch please?  I've been trying to find a workable solution.  Thanks.

Gabe

Hi Cody, very cool setup with the venue and 633.  Would you mind explaining how you rigged your Dipoles in the front pouch please?  I've been trying to find a workable solution.  Thanks.

Gabe

Yes, it's a "stereo mic bar" used normally for mounting matched pair microphones in various patterns.  I had one from a cheap matched pair I hardly ever use and it's been working out great with the Lectrosonic antennas.  There's quite a few different models out there (different lengths) but you'd be looking for something like this.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my bag right now.  SQN5 with MKH60 boom, 4*Lectro radios with TR50s and the usual odds and sods.  I supplement it with a couple of MKH40s for sitdown interviews.

I have a decent Portabrace harness but I never use it.  It just isn't comfortable and frankly, the bag gets in the way when I'm wearing it.  With a shoulder strap I can move the bag wherever I want it, and have it off me in seconds.  I quite like the Portabrace organiser, I use a handle to hold the basket, and a cable guide to hold the boom pole.  I'm sure they're not designed to do that, but it works for me...

I've just ordered a Nomad 10 so I'll have another bag shortly :)

post-10116-0-50210600-1395940757_thumb.j

I combined the elements i really liked from my nomad bag, and expanded on how i use it in the field. An np1 pocket on the left with velcro at the bottom so i can affix the np1 cup down to make changing batteries easier. On the right there is a loop for hanging a cable or hp if I'm using larger cans. Under the loop is a half height np1 sized pocket with an elastic loop to hold extra batteries if needed. I also store my hp (etymotic er4) in this pocket. The radio pouch has a strap across the middle to hold the receivers tight. This is what the tx are clipped onto. There are cable openings between all of these pockets. The utility pouch in the front is pretty good sized and has elastic loops for pens etc..

I wanted this bag to be simple and light weight, but complete enough that i could run all day with a couple radios and everything i need on me. I think (hope) i have achieved just that. It is noticeably lighter than it's big brother (my nomad setup), but a very capable rig. Qrx w/ifb option gives me zaxnet control and ifb/tc. It's pretty sweet when setup this way. Scanning for a new freq. automatically changes the tx freq. I also built custom cabling sized to the bag so there is no excess or loops of cable stuffed in the bottom of the bag. I plan on taking some more photos soon.

I combined the elements i really liked from my nomad bag, and expanded on how i use it in the field. An np1 pocket on the left with velcro at the bottom so i can affix the np1 cup down to make changing batteries easier. On the right there is a loop for hanging a cable or hp if I'm using larger cans. Under the loop is a half height np1 sized pocket with an elastic loop to hold extra batteries if needed. I also store my hp (etymotic er4) in this pocket. The radio pouch has a strap across the middle to hold the receivers tight. This is what the tx are clipped onto. There are cable openings between all of these pockets. The utility pouch in the front is pretty good sized and has elastic loops for pens etc..

I wanted this bag to be simple and light weight, but complete enough that i could run all day with a couple radios and everything i need on me. I think (hope) i have achieved just that. It is noticeably lighter than it's big brother (my nomad setup), but a very capable rig. Qrx w/ifb option gives me zaxnet control and ifb/tc. It's pretty sweet when setup this way. Scanning for a new freq. automatically changes the tx freq. I also built custom cabling sized to the bag so there is no excess or loops of cable stuffed in the bottom of the bag. I plan on taking some more photos soon.

What did this bag end up costing? I'm looking at one like this.

Here's my new bag kit, a few shoots in, I think I've got it dialed in now. 

633, 2x Lectro 401s, Sennheiser G3 for scratch or 3rd wireless, Comtek M72, all in a K-Tek Stingray.    

The coiled boom cable stays connected all the time and is stored in the left mesh pocket on the inside, transmitters are stored on the left outside pocket.  

Timecode cables stay connected and coiled in the left inside mesh pocket, lav capsules are held in place by the pen loops in the right outside pocket.  

Headphones stay connected and live in the front exposed pocket.  (I find that a TS-C or iPad slate fit well here or the breakaway cable if I'm separated from my shooter.  

NP-1 stands vertically in the left side in the main section, easily accessible.  

All cabling is held in place with those little velcro strips that came with my old bag so everything stays very clean.  

I built a "break in" cable for my old 10 pin breakaway cables fed by L&R

X1&X2 are reserved for feeding a second camera

X3 is wired to feed a wireless scratch track to a camera using the Sennheiser G3

X4 feeds the Comtek

In the Pelican is my KEG-88C, a zepp with softies stored inside, a lightweight light stand with grip head and boom pole holder, mic suspensions, boom microphones, spare lav capsules, chargers AA charger, RF Explorer, expendables, rechargeable batteries, adapters, two breakaway cables, extra XLR cables, 4 NP-1 batteries and a JL2 charger.  

A whole kit in one box.  The best part is when I arrive on location, all I have to do is pull the bag out, drop in a battery, connect the boom and camera, and we're off. 

post-4418-0-66906400-1395970332_thumb.jp

post-4418-0-30107500-1395970369_thumb.jp

post-4418-0-38583400-1395970413_thumb.jp

post-4418-0-19960900-1395970449_thumb.jp

post-4418-0-46874900-1395970482_thumb.jp

post-4418-0-24690200-1395970526_thumb.jp

post-4418-0-77238600-1395970734_thumb.jp