Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

Yes, about that, I've been wanting to give this a try for years. the newly designed removable/reversible side panels allow the option to do it. Everything sits quite nice. I suppose if the 411s and antennas lived immediately below the mixer, it could be bothersome, nothing an antenna distro wouldn't "solve" i suppose, but, in this configuration the antennas are barely in the way.

It is MUCH more comfortable mixing from the front bay. I shouldn't have waited so long to make it happen. This recorder in particular is light, so having it up front is advantageous, I haven't noticed any reduction in range due to the antennas being closer to my body. If there were any reduction, i would think it would be rather minute, separating the receivers that little bit away from the recorder itself likely would make up for any minute reduction if there were any?. Happy to be proven wrong but field testing indicates no difference. Highly recommend giving it a try. Much more comfortable on the wrists and neck, feels just plain more natural having the mixer panel up front. Less need to be looking straight downward, and easier on the arms wrists hands and fingers.

The Porta brace bag, thumbs up. Tip of the hat to Adam for the time he invested. Lots of little touches that make this model a real contender) a fair deal at 175$ if you get the two for one deal and split it.

well, it is generally a better idea to separate the antennae (sic) from the things that are impeding their proper operation;

the amount of difference it will make is variable (as in YMMV), often unnoticeable in normal situations;  my preference is to mount the antennae (sic) up higher anyway (shoulder mount), or often I use coax antennae (sic) on my straps...

post-2949-0-10296500-1418728385_thumb.jp

post-2949-0-87268800-1418728397_thumb.jp

post-2949-0-08854800-1418728434_thumb.jp

post-2949-0-55438100-1418728429_thumb.jppost-2949-0-80651700-1418728427_thumb.jp

post-2949-0-50059200-1418728425_thumb.jp

post-2949-0-08584500-1418728421_thumb.jp

post-2949-0-08673400-1418728744_thumb.jp

post-2949-0-61791800-1418728740_thumb.jp

Spent a couple of months figuring out how to lug my gear around in planes and other forms of public transport. Heavily inspired by another user in here (can't remember the name right now, sorry), i decided to go for a Pelican 1650, which is quite a nice compromise between size and the amount of gear it fits.

I just got a new Ktek bag (i LOVE it!) which fits perfectly height-wise, so i had some 5mm acrylic plates laser cut as dividers to fit my needs. Covered the dividers with foam in select places, and added a tad of gadgetry with internal 12v SLA battery, power-con input, phone charger and light in the lid, for the times when there's neither power nor light around. The chargers are permanently mounted in the case for fast setup on set - just plug in the power-con and get working! The battery SLA is charged by 220v automagically.

The case has room for my harness, zeppelin, cables, tails, mic belts, IEMS, MM1 preamp and random assorted gadgets. Radio mics are in the side pouches of the Ktek.

I've lost count of how many hours this has taken to accomplish, but i'm really happy with the results. All loaded the case weights around 33 kg and contains everything i need for smaller setups.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my new bag kit, a few shoots in, I think I've got it dialed in now.

633, 2x Lectro 401s, Sennheiser G3 for scratch or 3rd wireless, Comtek M72, all in a K-Tek Stingray.

The coiled boom cable stays connected all the time and is stored in the left mesh pocket on the inside, transmitters are stored on the left outside pocket.

Timecode cables stay connected and coiled in the left inside mesh pocket, lav capsules are held in place by the pen loops in the right outside pocket.

Headphones stay connected and live in the front exposed pocket. (I find that a TS-C or iPad slate fit well here or the breakaway cable if I'm separated from my shooter.

NP-1 stands vertically in the left side in the main section, easily accessible.

All cabling is held in place with those little velcro strips that came with my old bag so everything stays very clean.

I built a "break in" cable for my old 10 pin breakaway cables fed by L&R

X1&X2 are reserved for feeding a second camera

X3 is wired to feed a wireless scratch track to a camera using the Sennheiser G3

X4 feeds the Comtek

In the Pelican is my KEG-88C, a zepp with softies stored inside, a lightweight light stand with grip head and boom pole holder, mic suspensions, boom microphones, spare lav capsules, chargers AA charger, RF Explorer, expendables, rechargeable batteries, adapters, two breakaway cables, extra XLR cables, 4 NP-1 batteries and a JL2 charger.

A whole kit in one box. The best part is when I arrive on location, all I have to do is pull the bag out, drop in a battery, connect the boom and camera, and we're off.

may i know what pelican model is that?

wolnats

Still too big...

My goal wasn't necessarily to build the smallest bag possible. But rather to get pretty darn near to it without having to completely mod my bag (like your design), or having to get a completely customized one (a la Kortwich).

I think Orca's OR-41 bag allows me a happy medium. I'm very satisfied with the results.

Jose that is one sex bag. How are you holding the wireless holders to the divider?

I know I mentioned it to you on Facebook, but for the sake of answering the question here as well, I used the RX Mounts that Zaxcom sells, and with some drilling, attached them to each other with same screws. I cut and made some custom hooks out of a piece thin metal, bent them to shape using grips and pliers, and attached them to the overall casing. That gets hooked onto the divider. Alternatively, if you have a spare Orca lift system, you could probably use that as well or instead. I'm considering doing this to add more support to the wireless.

This was definitely inspired by Rado's design (he attaches his directly onto the Nomad), but I wanted to be able to keep the Nomad separate in case I need to replace it and whatnot.