Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

On 12/12/2015 at 10:52 PM, CMSD said:

Just got the medium Stingray for my Nomad as well. Do you use the support strap that wraps underneath the unit and velcros to the divider? Mine seems to be 3-4" too short.

I had the same issue and emailed ktek some photos of the middle strap being to short as well as my receiver holder being too small for velcro to fit and they quickly sent me a temporary fix for divider and an extender for velcro strap. They are making me a divider that fits the medium bag better. Its seems like they just tried to use the small bag divider for the medium bag.. That would explain why it only has 2 receiver straps on it, at least that is my guess.  You should do the same man.

20151207_160404.jpg

20151207_161024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got my friend Rodney Wilkins, the guy that used to own Reinhard Windshields, to make this customised voltmeter and BDS for my audio bag whitch fits into an Audio Dashbord. Really cool because he also etched my name on it and the whole thing  didn't break  the bank!
You can contact him on facebook or  through his website: www.reinhardt-film.dk

IMG_20160128_094202.jpg

Kortwich Bag for X3,  bag work with extended outboard gear made possible for Cantar X3

01_Kortwich_X3_bag.thumb.jpg.4f01e0defb3

A huge cart-bag for Cantar X3, custom made by Kortwich.

I wanted them to make a kind of augemented version of the (Stuart Wilson?) KTS Cantar X1/2 bag with more space for receivers and outboard gear and a lowered intermediate separator that allows for unrestricted access to all X3's knobs and faders. It is housing the X3, an Octopak, up tp 3 additional UCR 411 Rx's, a 4 channel preamp for the X3 line inputs (also Kortwich made), two G2 for IFB use, 2 NP1 (1 for X3, one for RX's), 2 BNC splitters that can pass 12 V through from Octopak to antenna Amplifiers, the matrix unit of the RSM 191 and an old Sennheiser talkback mic for the cart.  A wireless keyboard for metadata entry fits into the external pouch in front of the Octopack. 

56aa5ab746633_closedbagoncart.thumb.jpg.

Plus by just releasing two quick fasteners, it should fold up on the cart, retaining all equipment in place but give the same easy access to all plugs and features like if the Cantar was sitting naked on the cart. The old  KTS - bag was providing exactly that comfort.

56aa5af75b633_oncart2.thumb.jpg.81543c95

Kortwich custom made that bag for me, which fits X3, is super spacious and meets all my needs for gear. It is not designed for carrying around (11 kilos fully loaded!), but serves to have all recording gear in one place. Disconnect antenna BNCs, grab and go. To the rooftop, inside the car, on the boat... or to my 2nd floor apartment when shooting is over.

10_ready_for_takeoff.thumb.jpg.831e46443

Bag is beautifully crafted, has some very accurate details I even did not order (they found out!) but...
they did not adopt the L-shape folding principle of the original Cantar Bag :-((

To unfold, now you have to "slice" apart two huge velcro dividers. reminds me of cutting bread every time I do it.

56aa5f46b9448_slicingup.thumb.jpg.91a1aa

Then you get the two bags separated and all the internal cabling becomes visible

X3_dismanteled.thumb.jpg.4facea5f1c60d35

until you fix the parts together in the new position:

56aa6052cc8ba_06_bothpartsofbagtiedtoget

The resulting bag system is of excellent build quality, but I am not 100% satisfied:

I had traveled to Berlin with my X3 and the old Cantar-X1 bag as a 1:1 model and demonstrated how the thing should work. We spoke face to face and I also provided some basic drawings. The bag was meant to be one unit and to have one common ground layer (for easy cable runs). The recorder compartment should just fold up in a kind of L-shape by releasing two fasteners to lay down the Cantar in front of the user. Put Cantar on its feet upright again, close two quick fasteners and there you go... A normal divider between the preamp/411 compartement and the Cantar would have been sufficient, no need to slice up the velcro every day.

What came out instead, after 5 weeks, was actually two bags that have to be separated and repositioned in relation to each other for cart use, which makes for a crack in the bottom to make cable runs possible at all. The cablings now had to be substantially extended. It takes 2 minutes extra time on folding up the bag in the morning and another 2 minutes in the evening on wrapping, because the  fiddling with the fasterers is complicated.

The fault has been a matter of communication. I was shooting, but they had my phone number and we had agreed they would ask any question that was arising during the production process of the bag. Nobody ever called and I still do not know why they did it in a different way. I asked for the reason once I received the bag, but they did not answer any emails after that. I did not want to enter an argument, because this bag cannot be returned and slightly modified to reach the original goal, they would have had to throw it away and build a new one. Which is somehow difficult for a custom made thing that contains lots of german working hours ... and we all depend on each other. I did not bother, to make long story short. But every shooting day when I am fiddling with the straps, I think of the easy original solution, that would have made it also more easy for the manufacturers.

I must admit, that the whole bag system is very complete, it sports a padded cover, a separate rain cover, a clever strap system which makes balancing easy, a nice padded shoulder strap and it is built to last. 07_padded_and_rain_covers.jpg.9a37d28d32

rain cover detail:

56aa717066c4b_08_raincoverdetail.thumb.j

choice of custom made line outputs:

56aa73ab6a553_11_lineoutandantennaconnec

I have been using it for 2 months now and I like the quality of the work. I would still go for Kortwich if I would wish for another big and comprehensive X3 bag: They have the measures for the Cantar X3 now and some experience, I think, that the next X3 bag made by them could be the one I originally wanted. But I would for sure provide a cardboard model of what I want...

9 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

Retro slate mic?

retro-lav.jpg.0a16ec31b84249696ef9b3e4eb

Yeah, Sennheiser MD 214, this was used as a Lavalliere (!) hanging on a cord around the neck back in the 60s/70s. I like to grab it and hold it close for talkback. The boom op also loves it, as now he can hear my beautiful voice straight and clear ;-). If it is hidden in the bag, the built in slate mic is more sensitive though.

Now X3 offers powering for slate mics, but back in October it was not yet available.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2016 at 1:01 AM, Erik Olsen said:

I got my friend Rodney Wilkins, the guy that used to own Reinhard Windshields, to make this customised voltmeter and BDS for my audio bag whitch fits into an Audio Dashbord. Really cool because he also etched my name on it and the whole thing  didn't break  the bank!
You can contact him on facebook or  through his website: www.reinhardt-film.dk

IMG_20160128_094202.jpg

Nice!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2015 at 10:36 AM, Lauri Laagus said:

SD633
2X Lectro LR/LT
2X Senn AVX
Azden Pro-XD for Ref. camera hop.

Bag.jpg

How do you find the PRO-XD as a camera hop?

Would be it be good enough to use on talent on low budget shoot?

Worryingly I've seen it perhaps needs line of sight, and so thus couldn't be used under clothing (which would make it useless for me!), but maybe the reviewer just had a faulty unit. 11221820_10200955265600426_8965254789031

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/7/2016 at 6:54 AM, IronFilm said:

How do you find the PRO-XD as a camera hop?

Would be it be good enough to use on talent on low budget shoot?

Worryingly I've seen it perhaps needs line of sight, and so thus couldn't be used under clothing (which would make it useless for me!), but maybe the reviewer just had a faulty unit. 11221820_10200955265600426_8965254789031

I have not used it for talent mic, just for camera hop. Works very well in low wifi enviroments. Have gotten almost 100m range. But in wifi/Bluetooth crowded areas dropouts occur even in 1m 

5 wireless and boom! Just received my micplexer2 recently that basically completes the package (but sound packages are never complete). My range now far exceeds my camera link. Feels good to be a shark fin away from mixing from the car

-Ken

image.jpg

Just added the Mic Plexer II to my setup. Not sure how I'm going to do my aerials yet. I had the PSC SMA Multi in there, but the form factor didn't work well in the tight space. The fitment of everything is a lot better now.

Output side:

• TA3 feeds Camera Link
  • XLR/Return is terminated at a Neutricon for hardwired days. This way I can use existing extensions and camera tails.
  • Audio Root Right angle Hirose
  • Right angle 5pin Lemo

Input side is all right angle XLR/TA3

I tech flexed the RF cables for the SRb. Keeps them from getting snagged or hung up in the bag.

I feed TC to the Camera Link then split it out for TC I/O. Those tails live in the back pouch. This way I never have to unplug devices to jam TC.

20160507_110300.jpg

20160507_104458.jpg20160507_105530.jpg

• 2 weeks later...