Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

1 hour ago, codyman said:

Exactly.  I do a lot of run and gun documentaries and I love the idea of an all in one unit to simplify things and weight, however, when you are running around Any Town USA (or World), you need to have all the "extras" alongside you whether it be extra batteries / spare transmitters etc.  Right now I have a Pelican Backpack which has been fantastic to be able to keep it nearby in a support vehicle or worse case scenario throw it on my back and hoof around with it on.  I guess the advantage of this setup is that you wouldn't have to keep as many backup cables since there aren't any cables really to begin with!

This is brilliant since you can carry much more on your back safely keeping it light in front

Yep OK, Codyman (and Jeff!) - I also subscribed (in theory, since an occasional sound recordist but not a PSM) to Daniel's ideas years ago to keep the heavy stuff on the back and the control - as light as possible - on the front. The Nova looks to achieve this very nicely. Personally I would also want in fx recording to have notebook and a few gadgets up front yet I don't tend to see many extras in Show Me Your Bag pictures. Actually my preference goes against most of what I tend to see: I would rather have a large and particularly wide (against fat) bag in front but try to keep the weight way down and up against the body. When I needed to chuck extra stuff in (notes, mics or fix units up like a Soundfield box I have room - likewise for headphones). I don't much like the look of any of the compact narrow bags which extend forward - although I grant that wireless receivers are lighter and the weight is still to the back (ie the stomach). It's just that in the modern world of the frame bag I would like to have space up front (but would still advocate putting weight on the back or around the hips).

Best, Jez

If you're looking for a larger bag there are lots of choices from most all  of the typical companies that make sound bags. The extreme light weight and compactness of the Nova will allow you to use a larger bag, if that's what you want, and there will be plenty of room for all the other things you want in a bag. There are many others here in this topic looking for the smallest bag possible, especially for Nova, and for now many of even the smallest commercially produced bags are not necessarily suitable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 10:55 AM, joi b said:

My 633 setup - everything in the bag running on BDS and HI-Q juice

- Joi B  / Reykjavik

633KIT.jpg

What is that black box on the bottom right hand corner?

My immediate first guess was a Sound Devices MM1 for the boom op, being feed wirelessly back to you. But then I realised that doesn't look quite right for that...  maybe it is a Sound Devices HX-3?? (but doesn't quite quite look right for that either, but is my best guess. Edit: ah ha! It is the Superlux HA3D! As the Superlux has the black end for the battery compartment, vs the silver colored end on the Sound Devices HX-3. How do you like the HA3D? I've considered it a few times myself)

This is my latest setup that so far is working extremely well for me after 90 days or so of fine tuning. always a work in progress...

IMG-6762.jpg

Nova with 8x Wireless and 2x Camera Link transmitters Inside a modified Condor Bag (thanks again Rado). By using both cam links in stereo mode, this setup gives me 4 possible channels of IFB to urx100's and erx's by creatively selecting left or right sourcing at the IFB's. Typically I am using 1&2 out as stereo camera link and 3&4 out as IFB sources. 3 for client IFB's and 4 for director or boom op with talk back. I also have 3x camera link options all with timecode via rx200, urx100 and erx.

Full remote control of all trx's and also rerecord. so far executed with great success.

with the built in filters of the camera link units, and the "spacers" between the camera links and the nova, intermodulation is greatly reduced. did not have this success with standard trx's in this configuration. the spacers are plastic towel bars i modified. Light weight and non conductive. The placement of the battery at the back creates perfect amount of lift off of my torso for easier access to knobs when harnessed up. Also in combo with the spacers, lots of air venting around nova and camera links to minimize heat. 2x fellow sound mixers had fried camera links and had to send in for repairs so i am trying hard to keep air flowing in the compact space allowed.

2x backup recorders with timecode in camera links are both set to record on boot up always. CL no1 records backup stereo mix fed to cams. CL no2 i have default set to record mono ifb mix on ch1 and cabled boom prefade from mixer recorded on ch2 which is also a major backup bonus. several times in the past it was while it was great to have emergency backups at the trx's, i had wished i also had cabled boom backed up somewhere equally without deploying a boom trx.. double bonus when that camera link channel is mostly used for boom operator anyways.

IMG-6763.jpg

label fun with photoshop

for everything that i packing into this small space, it is incredibly light and powerful. I feel very comfortable wiring up people quickly while bag is sholder harnessed. With the zmt trx's being so compact i now use them as the weights to drop down wardrobe - occasionally while harnessed - saving time with no cable connecting, further minimizing personal invasion all around.

This below I am sure is nothing new but is something i started doing this year - the deneke JB-1 as a master clock. With recorders being powered off for 2hrs or more i have had experiences of losing sync on both sound devices an zaxcom recorders. This unit is so beautifully compact and robust. I built a small i/o switch to switch between incoming and outgoing tc on the JB-1. Fits right in the front pouch along with my BDS. i decided now with this tiny device i can start each day with swiss watch accuracy and leave running all day. made it over 7 days in a row without recharging. Recorder is cjam'ed all day and sends this jammed signal to all zaxcom devices. slates and other jam boxes all stay in sync when clocked to the JB-1.

IMG-6764.jpg

-Ken

• 3 weeks later...

I just today put this together for run and gun shoot Philly tomorrow. MixPre-6 2 with the Hirose Power adapter, SRB RX, G3 TX for IFB/Cam hop, Hawk Woods Cup, Battery Bud 2, all in a small Petrol bag, that I have had kicking around for many years.

I am bringing along my old Sound Devices 302 to drive a line, for the sit down interview portion of the shoot. I think I may have subconsciously put this kit together, so I'd have an excuse to use my beloved 302 again.

My main kit uses a 664 and 3 x SRB's, but have had a handful of gigs over the last few years where I've wanted to shed a few pounds and build a second kit that I could wear all day and still fit through a crowd. Once the MixPre added a TC generator, among other features, I was sold.

We'll see how it goes.

IMG_8448.jpg

On 10/13/2019 at 4:49 AM, JonG said:

F604DB9C-1008-4171-B74E-058159632DBF.jpeg

Inspired by Jonathan Lalouz, I decided to try out the Condor bags for a smaller setup. Here you can see the 633, with a Soundbags Dashboard, two SRs, and an AudioRoot distro. In the pocket to the left is my Comtek Tx, in the pocket to the right is a G3 that I’m temporarily using as a hop, and in the front pouch is my eSmart battery. There really isn’t a lot of room for anything else. I had to have all my cables custom made for low profile harnesses. 

I really like this setup, and it does what it needs to for about 80-90% of my bag work. I have an V2 Dashboard, I understand that the V3’s are lighter than these. This setup puts the weight in one place as opposed to dispersing it throughout a larger bag, so it feels heavier when lifted by hand, but can easily be worn with just a strap without killing your shoulders/back. It is also so compact that it can fit into just about any kind of standard sized case. 

As nice and small as this is, I like what @RadoStefanov is doing with the same bag for his Nova OneUnit. 

Which model is the Condor Bag?

Hi Folks. This is my bag mainly for commercials, documentary and interviews. But I also done a TV series on a cart and with sharks.

1 x Sound Devices 633

2 x Wisycom MCR 42S

1 x Lectrosonics UCR 201 for Boom (modified with SNA connectors for external antennas)

2 x Lectrosonics SNA600 (just stuck inside the spaces of the bag. I tried different things, but this is the easiest way and it´s fast removable)

1 x Powerdistribution from www.ops-shop.de

1 x Betagear Antenna Distribution (it´s from Ali Express and works fine with the Betagear Shark antennas! )

1 x Sennheiser SK300 G3 for boom op or customers

1 x Lectrosonics UM110 for camera feed

1 x VMount battery

1 x Orca Bags OR-30

20200219_163711.jpg

20200219_163731.jpg

20200219_164124.jpg

20200219_163910.jpg

20200219_163837.jpg

10 hours ago, Attila said:

2 x Wisycom MCR 42S

1 x Lectrosonics UCR 201 for Boom (modified with SNA connectors for external antennas)

Nice wireless for the talent! Which makes me wonder why you're using a 201 for your boom?

1 x Betagear Antenna Distribution (it´s from Ali Express and works fine with the Betagear Shark antennas! )

I'd love to read a review of both of these! Wonder if I should get those myself

1 x VMount battery

Whoa, hefty battery for a 633 kit! Or are you using one of those lightweight mini V Mount batteries? 

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Nice wireless for the talent! Which makes me wonder why you're using a 201 for your boom?

I'd love to read a review of both of these! Wonder if I should get those myself

Whoa, hefty battery for a 633 kit! Or are you using one of those lightweight mini V Mount batteries? 

I´ve got the 201 block 24 for a long time and it never let me down and it´s my trusty old friend. (But when I have some extra cash I upgrade)

I am using the Betagear Stuff for nearly one year. The antenna distribution looks same the the PSC one and is well build and I costs around 350€. The sharks (90€ for two!)  are a little bit taller than the usual suspects but working great. They look very similar to the shure UA874 besides the paddle is different. 

With the antenna distribution and the sharks I have a really great range and no dropouts.

When I ordered them I was sceptical, but I was to courious too! There´s a lot of crap on Alix Express, but a few things are great. Also great art the Leicozic Receivers for the clients. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32750422632.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5e5d42a6WqzFzQ&algo_pvid=631508f9-2007-42d8-9932-81b74afcd8c2&algo_expid=631508f9-2007-42d8-9932-81b74afcd8c2-14&btsid=0b0a187915821902379692581ebf01&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Well build and sounding good for 50€. I use the together with my Sennheiser SK300 (SNA antenna modified)

I also can recommend al kind of cables and SNA antennes there. The prizes are good. I buying pro stuff and I am willing to spend money. But cables and antennas are definitifly way too expensive.

My VMOUNT is the AXCOM U-SVLO-99-UD.

It´s half the size of fat one. Two of these power the whole bag for one day. I decided for V-Mount because normally the camera department has them too. For emergency situations I can use their chargers or their batteries.

20200220_100059.jpg

20200220_100033.jpg

2 hours ago, Attila said:

I am using the Betagear Stuff for nearly one year. The antenna distribution looks same the the PSC one and is well build and I costs around 350€. The sharks (90€ for two!)  are a little bit taller than the usual suspects but working great. They look very similar to the shure UA874 besides the paddle is different. 

With the antenna distribution and the sharks I have a really great range and no dropouts.

That's good to hear!

When I ordered them I was sceptical, but I was to courious too! There´s a lot of crap on Alix Express, but a few things are great. Also great art the Leicozic Receivers for the clients. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32750422632.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5e5d42a6WqzFzQ&algo_pvid=631508f9-2007-42d8-9932-81b74afcd8c2&algo_expid=631508f9-2007-42d8-9932-81b74afcd8c2-14&btsid=0b0a187915821902379692581ebf01&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Well build and sounding good for 50€. I use the together with my Sennheiser SK300 (SNA antenna modified)

I also can recommend al kind of cables and SNA antennes there. The prizes are good. I buying pro stuff and I am willing to spend money. But cables and antennas are definitifly way too expensive.

Ah yes, I've been using Leicozic IEMs myself for the past half year! (although I feed them with a Sony wireless TX)

My VMOUNT is the AXCOM U-SVLO-99-UD.

It´s half the size of fat one. Two of these power the whole bag for one day. I decided for V-Mount because normally the camera department has them too. For emergency situations I can use their chargers or their batteries.

I use Sony BP-U60 batteries myself, which are also very very common. As they're what the Sony FS7 and other cameras use. Although I've never yet need to borrow anything from camera department. (is convenient for me though, as they also get used in my Sony PMW-F3)

On 2/19/2020 at 5:02 PM, Attila said:

Hi Folks. This is my bag mainly for commercials, documentary and interviews. But I also done a TV series on a cart and with sharks.

1 x Sound Devices 633

2 x Wisycom MCR 42S

2 x Lectrosonics SNA600 (just stuck inside the spaces of the bag. I tried different things, but this is the easiest way and it´s fast removable)

1 x Powerdistribution from www.ops-shop.de

1 x Sennheiser SK300 G3 for boom op or customers

1 x Lectrosonics UM110 for camera feed

1 x VMount battery

1 x Orca Bags OR-30

20200219_163711.jpg

20200219_163731.jpg

20200219_164124.jpg

20200219_163910.jpg

20200219_163837.jpg

Nice bag Attila!!

It looks like you have approx. 3 cm left under the 633. I wonder, if the OR-30 would be a good match to a Sound Devices 833 with two medium NPF (770) on the back?? It would add about 5-6 cm compared to the 633, but i don´t want the Recorder to stick out of the bag too much...

Does anybody has experience with the depth of the 833 with NPF´s added on the back?

Does anybody know if they will bring out a special bag for the 833?

Or should i get the Stingray Small instead??

What do you think...?

Thanks everybody. Best, Tim.

On 12/18/2019 at 3:53 PM, Soundio said:

Mixpre 6

MCR42s +MTB40s+MTP41s

EK6042+SK5212II L×2

UM450+UCR100×10(for CAM hops & IFB)

1D45F363-2C1A-494E-86ED-1BA76033EF07.jpeg

C6D559BA-F206-4485-9193-D468A4B37531.jpeg

Looks like you have a custom 3D-printed dashboard attached to your MixPre-6, holding your receivers. Did you make that?

I've got a MixPre 10ii and an Audio Ltd receiver (with hopes to get another) and would love a similar setup.

12 hours ago, RyanMonette said:

Looks like you have a custom 3D-printed dashboard attached to your MixPre-6, holding your receivers. Did you make that?

I've got a MixPre 10ii and an Audio Ltd receiver (with hopes to get another) and would love a similar setup.

Hello eagle eye, man,  the dashboard is custom made by myself, meanwhile I'm to ready to print the dashboard for my Mixpre 10ii in the coming days,  I'll pm you when it comed out if you are interested. 

096B1B7B-58CE-4612-AEC1-A3792799E9E6.jpeg

08AC9170-69D4-446B-B8AB-7CCB399B424F.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Soundio said:

Hello eagle eye, man,  the dashboard is custom made by myself, meanwhile I'm to ready to print the dashboard for my Mixpre 10ii in the coming days,  I'll pm you when it comed out if you are interested. 

I was going to say "very dinky" (in the british sense) but after checking, now understand it's meaning in north america is less than flattering. Oh well: Your rig is very small and neat. Thinking an MCR54 and my new F6 would also be 'sick'.

On 2/29/2020 at 6:37 PM, TimMey said:

Nice bag Attila!!

It looks like you have approx. 3 cm left under the 633. I wonder, if the OR-30 would be a good match to a Sound Devices 833 with two medium NPF (770) on the back?? It would add about 5-6 cm compared to the 633, but i don´t want the Recorder to stick out of the bag too much...

Does anybody has experience with the depth of the 833 with NPF´s added on the back?

Does anybody know if they will bring out a special bag for the 833?

Or should i get the Stingray Small instead??

What do you think...?

Thanks everybody. Best, Tim.

Under the 633 there are aprox. 2 cm left.

I ordered a 833 and I tell you if it fits when it´s here...

On 3/4/2020 at 4:51 AM, Soundio said:

Oh man! That is gorgeous and has my heart racing! Incredible job! Love the vent design too!

A PM would be so incredibly appreciated! Thank you so much!
Again, amazing work.