Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 5:51 AM, Soundio said:

Hello eagle eye, man,  the dashboard is custom made by myself, meanwhile I'm to ready to print the dashboard for my Mixpre 10ii in the coming days,  I'll pm you when it comed out if you are interested. 

096B1B7B-58CE-4612-AEC1-A3792799E9E6.jpeg

08AC9170-69D4-446B-B8AB-7CCB399B424F.jpeg

Hi. I have a Mixpre-10 and two Lectrosonic Dual SR. Did you finaly did a dashboard for the mixpre. I'm very interested.

On 3/4/2020 at 11:51 AM, Soundio said:

Hello eagle eye, man,  the dashboard is custom made by myself, meanwhile I'm to ready to print the dashboard for my Mixpre 10ii in the coming days,  I'll pm you when it comed out if you are interested. 

096B1B7B-58CE-4612-AEC1-A3792799E9E6.jpeg

08AC9170-69D4-446B-B8AB-7CCB399B424F.jpeg

Hey!
I am also extremely interested! I could maybe do it myself, but I lack the experience and would probably take ages to do it properly.
Thanks

Alex

Edit: Also those faders! If they are 3D Printed I'd be also interested. I'm in love with your setup :D

I'd be curious about aluminum knobs for the F8.

I bought the printed ones https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=zoom+f8+knobs&_sacat=0 and found them to be unusable for a double row mixer. They take up too much space and make it near impossible to use the push buttons and the faders themselves.  Low profile and smaller diameter might work.

For a single row of faders it's probably not a problem.

Kishor Chauhan did this (SD knobs, no longer available), but he never explained how he did it. Zoom faders don't have shafts. 

image.jpeg

16 hours ago, bennycaron said:

Would you guys like to have those knob made in anodise aluminium? I'm working on it right now. I'll start with the mixpre series.

Pictures later.

Definitely!
Although also depends on price and if you ship to the EU also :)

• 2 months later...

I'm unhappy with bags. Access to things is cumbersome and I don't care for zippers. I didn't want to go the 3D printer route. So I thought I would see what I could do with Kydex to make access to everything easier. Being a pauper, I have the G3s which have the additional problem of front face control and display. Here is my first crack at it.

Here you see an open frame that gives full access to the sides and bottom. The recorder is protected by Kydex panels that are screwed to the top and bottom. Ahh, no zippers, thank you. And full access to the connectors and SD cards.

The green thing is a belly pad to push the recorder away from the belly to make it easier to see the recorder.

I mostly work on a small vertical cart with the bag on top. In that case, I flip the pad out and have the recorder at an angle for easy viewing.

To solve the G3 access problem, I have two racks that hinge away from the recorder to give access to the display, controls, and batteries. When I have it on the cart, the whips are replaced with coax and two LPDAs. If I am using it on the cart, but don't want to set up the LPDAs, the G3s can be set to a vertical position while the F8 is at an angle to optimize reception.

Behind the G3s is a 12v battery  and 3v converter to run the G3s. Also in the back is power outputs for the LPDAs and an LED light on the cart.

There are a couple of D-rings for a handle and harness.

20211111_160746 (2).jpg

20211111_160846.jpg

20211111_160855.jpg

20211111_160931.jpg

20211111_161014.jpg

Inspired by other sound mixers, as well as the soundbag dashboards, I commissioned this little dashboard from Drew Martin of Audio Cables & Accessories (ACE). It’s 3D printed, but has a clever way of securing the receivers/distro in place by tightening the front end screws with an allen wrench. This bag is super light and tight, especially due to the modified Condor bag which weighs virtually nothing. Not pictured is the Comtek transmitter in the left pocket, and Camera Hop transmitter in the right pocket, as well as the eSmart battery in the front pouch. Drew also made me custom low profile cables for everything. 

Top view

86E0D33A-B720-4E66-9A9A-5B4AB440F3C3.jpeg
Front view

899EA828-1205-4292-8300-924466766F71.jpeg

Those are nice. I really like the short barrel. But I'm not a fan of locking connectors on the receivers. They waste time when I'm in a hurry. Do you have to screw them down to make full contact?

Aliexpress has several variants. Be careful. Some of them are junk. Others are impossible to solder. I used these - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003446438412.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4123771dND6eSx&algo_pvid=109fa69e-09cf-4206-97cd-a8bddc251737&algo_exp_id=109fa69e-09cf-4206-97cd-a8bddc251737-51&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000025825069137"}

23 hours ago, JonG said:

Inspired by other sound mixers, as well as the soundbag dashboards, I commissioned this little dashboard from Drew Martin of Audio Cables & Accessories (ACE). It’s 3D printed, but has a clever way of securing the receivers/distro in place by tightening the front end screws with an allen wrench. This bag is super light and tight, especially due to the modified Condor bag which weighs virtually nothing. Not pictured is the Comtek transmitter in the left pocket, and Camera Hop transmitter in the right pocket, as well as the eSmart battery in the front pouch. Drew also made me custom low profile cables for everything. 

Top view

86E0D33A-B720-4E66-9A9A-5B4AB440F3C3.jpeg
Front view

899EA828-1205-4292-8300-924466766F71.jpeg

Beautiful, do you see much difference in range and stability between Wisy and Lectro? I have Wisy, and am figuring out if I should get another Wisy54 or something else.

16 hours ago, filmsalang said:

Beautiful, do you see much difference in range and stability between Wisy and Lectro? I have Wisy, and am figuring out if I should get another Wisy54 or something else.

Using just whips they get about the same range I’d say. The only issue I’m finding is that the all digital environment for Lectrosonics seems to be that when you get an rf hit, the result is a dropout in audio. Maybe it’s a bug that will get fixed in a firmware update, but I’m not particularly excited about that. I don’t see the DCR822 as the next gen UCR411a that the claim is. 

The Wisycom stuff is really fantastic though. I’m very happy with them and am tempted to get another set. 

Jon G said "The only issue I’m finding is that the all digital environment for Lectrosonics seems to be that when you get an rf hit, the result is a dropout in audio"

When I first used the Zaxcom Digital wireless (about 20 years ago), this is one of the things I had to get used to. Unlike all of the analog wireless, the digital transmission is for the  most part perfect until it is out of range or experiences  a serious interference  --  then it mutes and you have nothing. Never really turned out to be a problem, just took a bit of getting used to. Now, years later as other companies start to get into all digital wireless, users will have to realize there are quite a lot of differences.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:48 AM, Paul F said:

Do you have to screw them down to make full contact?

That appears to be the case with the Cable Techniques RA plug. I use the straight TecNec/Calrad locking 3.5mm plug where the locking ring retracts enough,  so using the locking ring is optional, It  can also be used on conventional 3.5mm (non-locking) jacks. Unfortunately, there is not a RA version , so a DIY modification is necessary.

3 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

Jon G said "The only issue I’m finding is that the all digital environment for Lectrosonics seems to be that when you get an rf hit, the result is a dropout in audio"

When I first used the Zaxcom Digital wireless (about 20 years ago), this is one of the things I had to get used to. Unlike all of the analog wireless, the digital transmission is for the  most part perfect until it is out of range or experiences  a serious interference  --  then it mutes and you have nothing. Never really turned out to be a problem, just took a bit of getting used to. Now, years later as other companies start to get into all digital wireless, users will have to realize there are quite a lot of differences.

One of the best qualities of zaxcom is exactly that: you get 100% good sound or none at all. With analog wireless especially when late in the day and ear fatigue you get strange hisses frequency response anomalies and other strange artifacts. 
the piece of mind that I am getting 100% of the sound or none at all “which I can replace with transmitter recording if it happens “ is priceless. 

This is my Ambeo VR Mic kit. I use the Sennheiser Ambeo VR to record sounds. The stereo separation sounds awesome in VR, but I use it for rich, immersive sound in stereo-rocks. I use the Sound Devices Mix Pre 10T because it is one of a few mixers the Ambeo pretty much sets it's all perimeters for 4 channels linking. The Zoom F8 also works like the Mix Pre. I'll be posting samples on FreeSound. I have the 4 XLR connectors set with a stress loop using small zip ties. I run the mics multi-pin connector to a small hatch door at the bottom of the Porta Brace bag. This allows fast connection of the mic to the recorder, without plugging in the flimsy XLR plugs (1-4). I have my headphones in pocket 2 and a 5 ft cable with the DIN12 male and female connectors.

The kit cost  around $3300. If your into recording sounds this great. I was using the RODE stereo mic (big round one), but there's no comparison to sound.

This mic is great to record live music.

I also use an AKG C411PP small contact mic on this kit.    

mic.png

1391096074_ambeokit.png

I've just completed (mostly) my conversion from Sound Devices/Lectrosonics to Zaxcom. I broke even on the change over after selling on EBay, but ended up with a little less gear!

I do almost all bag work and the Sound Devices offerings were simply getting too heavy and too power hungry. I had an 833 and a Scorpio (and I had some Audio Ltd A10s). Lectrosonics was just collateral damage - I had no problem there.

I now use the Zaxcom NOVA and I've got eight wireless channels (even with the Scorpio, that was difficult) in a tiny package.

I've bought Simon Bellemare's skeleton 'bag' and I've adapted it to take a Hawk-Woods battery cup and I use Hawk-Woods 50Wh NP1 batteries which I already had. This system doesn't consume much power!

I now get eight channels of wireless (I rarely use plugged analogue) and IFB transmission in a package that weighs less than 2.7kg. The equivalent weight from the Sound Devices offerings is around 12kg, so for me it is a sensible change.

For those coming from Sound Devices, there are a couple of downsides with NOVA. I found having no top hooks to be a negative and that is the main reason I got Simon Bellamare's device. It also takes a lot of brain power to move from the relatively simple Sound Devices ecosystem to the more complex Zaxcom system, but it helps keep dementia at bay.

P1011357.JPG

P1011359.JPG

P1011360.JPG

P1011364.JPG