Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

• 6 months later...
On 9/26/2023 at 3:54 PM, BAB414 said:

So clean! How are you liking the DSR4? What are you using for rf distro?

Thanks. I am loving the DSR4. It is straight forward if you are already familiar with the SR series receivers. Great buttons, great screen!

I use an Audio Wireless DADM224 for an rf distro, but I didn't build it into the bag for that particular shoot in order to save on weight, haha! 

Shoutout to the modular soundbag dashboards for keeping things in place!

• 3 months later...

It looks a bit messy but the photo was taken during shoot so no time for cleaning and grooming 😉

it was a recent feature setup (I am the bag on cart type), here on the cart, in Kenya.

SD888+ID-TF8 extension controller, SL2 with MCR54 quad and the antennas aux outputs are used for an extra receiver Lectrosonic LR for a 5th channel (live translator)

3 IFB feeds tx: Sennheiser G3 for the boom ops, Lectro SMDWB for prod without translation, T4 VHF for prod with translation.

946D4943-FB9E-4CD9-B4DA-9098696F277D.jpeg

Fred,

The live translator part of your setup is intriguing!

Could you explain a bit how that workflow operates in practice? (Not so much the tech side, but the way that all works together on set)

17 hours ago, Aprikot said:

Fred,

The live translator part of your setup is intriguing!

Could you explain a bit how that workflow operates in practice? (Not so much the tech side, but the way that all works together on set)

It was a film written and directed by a Somali director, all dialogues in Somali language. Prod was English and most members of the crew were not speaking Somali. Production hired a translator Somali/English so he would translate all dialogues during takes from video village away from set, but also some moments when the director was giving indications. I gave him a can with IFB feed Somali (my main mix, also sent to director, my boom ops and camera, and some Somali speaking producers) and a headset mike with his TX. It had its own iso channel permanently armed in my 888 for the editors and I mixed it in a dedicated bus with ducked down main mix to send to IFB feed with eng Translation. Mostly sent to the continuity lady, first AD, the DOP camera operator and some producers.

Main bag with:

- SD833 with AES-XL

- Wisycom MCR54 

- Audioroot powerdistro

- Audioroot eSmartbatteries (bottom of bag)

- Sennheiser G4 TX for camera / director

- wireless micro keyboard

Small details: headphones, boom + MS-stereo connectors on bag outside.

PXL_20240205_093428862.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

PXL_20240205_092425391~2.jpg

6 hours ago, chrisP said:

Main bag with:

- SD833 with AES-XL

- Wisycom MCR54 

- Audioroot powerdistro

I wonder how much weight you can save with a lighter bag…

4 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

I wonder how much weight you can save with a lighter bag…

The bag is indeed quite heavy, the empty bag weighs almost 2 kg (4.4lbs) with harness and therefore certainly a lot more than a FEATHER RIG, but what I appreciate about the bag is the storage space it offers (microkeyboard, lavalier tools, spare batteries, leatherman) and the protection against weather, shocks and dirt. These features are particularly useful for documentarys with a lot of movement, outdoor where I am the only one responsible for the sound.

The flexibility regarding additional transmitters/receivers also suits me very well
Of course, it is important to have a suitable carrying system for the job in question. Depending on the application, I use: Orca Harness OR-40 or a very light custom harness or sometimes even a shoulder harness.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jesse Flaitz said:

Got my new rig built out for the next decade (hopefully) of sound work.  AES out of each receiver for minimal cables.

888 bag.jpg

How do you like the shure wireless? I’ve heard good things. Though the transmitter selection doesn’t look super appealing.

1 hour ago, Dave Pullmer said:

How do you like the shure wireless? I’ve heard good things. Though the transmitter selection doesn’t look super appealing.

I love Shure wireless, but they are certainly not perfect. 

The ADX1Ms are very expensive and the range on whips is very mediocre (with a distro and shark fins the range is good, but not quite great), however they are the best TX for narrative IMO due to size and lack of antenna.  I keep one around for specialty circumstances.  Battery life is 5-6 hours.

The ADX1s are cheap and the range is fantastic on whips (even better with a distro and shark fins).  However they are bulky and mediocre for hiding if that is a factor for you. Battery life is 7-8 hours

The ADX3 is heavy, but roughly comparable in weight to an HMa.  Battery life is 4-5 hours.

My biggest gripe is the fact that each TX has it's own proprietary battery.  That is great in one sense, the battery telemetry is minute accurate.  However, I also have a separate charger for ADX1M, ADX1, and ADX3 batteries.  Thats annoying, but far from deal breaking.

I do mainly commercial/corporate/branded content.  So hiding TXs is not a big priority.  I like the battery life, range, and cost of the ADX1s a LOT.  Not having to set gain at the TX is amazing.  YMMV, but for me Shure is the way no doubt.

1 hour ago, Dave Pullmer said:

Interesting - yes I’ve heard people talk about the range and not needing to set gain being the pros… but I think the tx sizes and battery types would be a dealbreaker for me. Thanks for the info :)

...might fix it  for ''size'' (for ''battery'' though, it'd have to be as is 🙃 )

ADX1M - Micro Bodypack Transmitter - Shure USA

On 2/5/2024 at 11:49 AM, chrisP said:

Main bag with:

- SD833 with AES-XL

- Wisycom MCR54 

- Audioroot powerdistro

nice setup.

i’d be interested to copy your headphone connector setup, but i’m having some difficulties understanding what the clip part is. 

On 2/24/2024 at 4:27 PM, paaskyp said:

nice setup.

i’d be interested to copy your headphone connector setup, but i’m having some difficulties understanding what the clip part is. 

I made the clip out of a tools holder from the DIY store like the one in the picture. I cutted the two superfluous parts and taped the rest to the connector.

1000002339-01.jpeg

1000002337-01.jpeg

Brilliant.

I never took time to think about that and always ended up with very doubtful velcro crappy solutions or simply tucking the whole thing into the side of the bag... 😆

Thanks, and cheers !

image.png

On 1/27/2024 at 8:32 PM, Mattias Larsen said:

20240127_103829.jpgPicked up mixassist recently for my old mp6 to do those small gigs that doesnt require so many inputs or routing. Happy to see it get a new life.

I love this setup! It’s all you need for those small corporate gigs.

I did something similar:

Sound Devices Mix Pre 6-II

Lectrosonics SRC with 3D Printed Mount - paired to a couple of SSM’s or an HMa 

Lectrosonics DCHT & DCHR for camera link

Tentacle Sync for Mixer and Camera