Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

Well, I'd like to know about the Sax spray, as well as if the newer firmware changed any of the track routing/output options.

phil p

I can't add much to the conversation re: RF spray and the SX-R4. I have been using UM400As and UCR411As in blocks 21 and 26, primarily in the NYC metro area. Wireless performance has been (knock on wood) more than adequate.

This document describes SX-R4 version 4.1 firmware. I'll quote a bit from section 3.3.1:

"The SONOSAX SX-R4 offers 14 physical input channels, 6 analogue and 8 digital. Up to 8 of these physical input channels can be assigned to any of the 10 available tracks. Any combination of analogue/digital input channel is possible. These physical channels are grouped per pair as follow:

• 1, 2 : either MIC/LINE input 1 & 2 or AES 1

• 3, 4 : either MIC/LINE input 3 & 4 or AES 2

• 5, 6 : either LINE input 5 & 6 or AES 3

• 7, 8 : AES4 only

The routing Matrix is used to assigning and mix any of the input channels to any of the 10 available tracks.

The first 8 tracks are dedicated to the hard disc (HD) and the 2 additional tracks are dedicated to the Compact Flash card (CF). If the "Mirroring" function is enabled, then the routing configuration of the hard disk is identically mapped onto the Compact Flash card.

For Monitoring purposes, you can configure and listen to any combination of these 10 tracks.

The peak meter displays only the 8 hard disk's tracks on the screen."

I have been using the SX-R4 with mirroring enabled, so that the SSD record tracks are mirrored on the CF card. At the end of the day, I deliver the CF.

About SX-R4 output routing, you can use the LINE OUT menu to route any track or tracks to the L or R line outputs on TA3 and stereo-mini connectors, wired in parallel.

I can't add much to the conversation re: RF spray and the SX-R4. I have been using UM400As and UCR411As in blocks 21 and 26, primarily in the NYC metro area. Wireless performance has been (knock on wood) more than adequate.

This document describes SX-R4 version 4.1 firmware. I'll quote a bit from section 3.3.1:

"The SONOSAX SX-R4 offers 14 physical input channels, 6 analogue and 8 digital. Up to 8 of these physical input channels can be assigned to any of the 10 available tracks. Any combination of analogue/digital input channel is possible. These physical channels are grouped per pair as follow:

• 1, 2 : either MIC/LINE input 1 & 2 or AES 1

• 3, 4 : either MIC/LINE input 3 & 4 or AES 2

• 5, 6 : either LINE input 5 & 6 or AES 3

• 7, 8 : AES4 only

The routing Matrix is used to assigning and mix any of the input channels to any of the 10 available tracks.

The first 8 tracks are dedicated to the hard disc (HD) and the 2 additional tracks are dedicated to the Compact Flash card (CF). If the "Mirroring" function is enabled, then the routing configuration of the hard disk is identically mapped onto the Compact Flash card.

For Monitoring purposes, you can configure and listen to any combination of these 10 tracks.

The peak meter displays only the 8 hard disk's tracks on the screen."

I have been using the SX-R4 with mirroring enabled, so that the SSD record tracks are mirrored on the CF card. At the end of the day, I deliver the CF.

About SX-R4 output routing, you can use the LINE OUT menu to route any track or tracks to the L or R line outputs on TA3 and stereo-mini connectors, wired in parallel.

I've always been impressed by this recorder. A few questions, if that's ok: on the "subout" jacks--are they wired so that shorting one of them (like combining the 2 channels for mono) would short both of them? How robust is the AES connector on the right side--have you made or had made a cable that breaks out the channels? Is the recorder's clock stable enough to be a master clock for your shoot? How do you like the limiters, esp for dialog? I see you have a small Sax mixer too--do you use that on the recorder's AES inputs? Have you worked much with the recorder by itself--how did that go?

sorry for so many questions--I haven't seen an RX4 user pop up here before!

phil p

There's usually a Comtek Tx attached and an SRA is in the mail (this will be a dual receiver for stuff like narratives and camera hop for ENG. Will be going to 788T in a few months. Then again, that Nomad looks kinda nice... waiting to visit a few shops while in LA to tinker and come to a conclusion. 7506's for monitors in the big zipper, NP-1 in the hidden pouch. Cos-11's, Tram's, B6's for lavs.

post-3347-0-40585000-1331857848.jpg

Mine, from the set of a fashion shoot yesterday. Love the Remote Audio RM1 BDS power switch, and I also use their LED light so I can see the damned mixer knobs in the dark. For this particular shoot, I used right angle antennas on the 411's to orient them vertically (which just makes sense to me) when I'm static on my small cart. Note that I keep the RM1 tucked inside the bag; I had an actor last year tell me that the bright blue numbers kept catching his eyeline, so it's now out of the way and angled towards me, away from the set.

post-261-0-25370200-1331959304.jpg

Hi Fella's,

just got around to joining today and i've spent the evening looking at your bags. Amazing Stuff. Noticed you're mainly Lectro's and Zaxcoms. Figured i'd give you a european feel:

Here's my Bag:

Work Top:

set of mini white and warm card

Audio 2040 3 way rx rack with cut down bipole ariel run up through my brace and mouthed on my shoulders

Audio 2040 iR controller

ready to go vampire clips and 2 mic clips attached to bag handles.

1st Pouch:

3 Audio 2040 tx's

2 smv tx's with battery eliminators transmitting to a lectro sr camera hop

2 belt

3 sets of batteries (l-ion 9v x4, AA lithium energizer x 4, AA rechargeable x 4)

2 boxes of wind covers, adaptor, back up iR controller and accessories.

Front Pouch:

2 cos 11's wired

2 Dpa 4071's adaptable

1 Dpa 4071 wired

1 Sony ECM 88 wired

Mini tripod for table mount mic

Stickies, pens, screwdriver, flash cards etc

Left side:

sennheiser 500 tx (4th radio)

9v batts

sennheiser 500 Rx with batt eliminator powered off the second hirose power pin on the audio rack

1 xlr cable mono - safety

1 xlr cable stereo - boom and fig 8

mini lastolite collapsible reflector i got in Korea. (white, silver, gold and Black)

Right Side:

sennheiser 500 tx (comms) battery elimintor powered off the main batterys

cl-wifi

hirose - cigerette lighter port (iphone charger, lithium ion charger etc, v handy in the iphone era)

At the Back:

Battery 1:

Dsm L-ion 78w in a hawks wood cup powering directly into the 552,

on switch 1 is the lectro smv's

on switch 2 is the audio rack and the comm

Battery 2:

Dsm L-ion 84w in an Ambient L-ion cup with 3 taps powering the 788 directly

the cigerette port is plugged in here as it draws v little and is rarely used.

* When i'm not running a camera hop i switch the Sr unit to the left side and that gives me 5 radios.

*788 timecode is linked to the 552 so i can stretch to 8 iso's and a mix track on my 788.

* weights over 20lbs i'd say but i do very little sitting down, and i have a very good physio.

* using a petrol bag rain cover at the moment but have a design for a fully waterproof deign in the making.

* lasts 8 or so hours on 2 batteries. 788 and 552 are both packing batteries as back up.

post-4276-0-06989700-1332056007.jpg

post-4276-0-00594500-1332056022.jpg

post-4276-0-37638700-1332056040.jpg

post-4276-0-76404500-1332056059.jpg

post-4276-0-44631700-1332056082.jpg

Why not ditch the 552 and just get a cl-8?

Think the plan ultimately is to ditch the 552 but i've yet to road test it fully and the gig i'm on right now is pretty fly by the seat of your pants all conditions gig so i wanted the reassurance of being able to mix blind.

that said in looking at the cl-8 there are some draw backs. if i switch back to a non camera hop gig it has no return A from the camera. i'd have to use up one of my channels instead.

also if i want i can max out the rig to 8 iso tracks on the 788 and a mix on the 552 all with linked timecode. i've done his a few times on commercials.

gonna take the kit downstairs today and weigh it

you're not able to monitor all your iso's and your mix metres at the same time though are you?

True. You can monitor L&R mix and the first six ISOs all at once, then at the push of a button you will be able to monitor inputs 7&8 and Aux1&2 (as well as still monitoring L&R and inputs 1&2). Not perfect, but you'll get used to it pretty quickly and (hopefully) you won't have to monitor twelve tracks all at once too often.