Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

Honestly, I can't discern twelve sources at once no matter how I split them between my two ears. With that much going on, I usually listen to the mix or a l/r split of some sort then flip the pfl switches to check individual channels as needed.

Aren't they referring to visually monitoring the sources? I hope so!

DO you have a picture of the front of your bag.

I am interested to see how you mounted the dipoles.

Thanks

No hops (I'm in a double system workflow). The two TXs in the side pouches are a Comtek transmitter and a Lectro IFB transmitter. The Zaxcom box on top is actually not a Tx -- it's the ZFR-200 recorder which I use as a backup recorder.

DO you have a picture of the front of your bag.

I am interested to see how you mounted the dipoles.

Thanks

The bag's on the truck today, but next time I have it out I'll try to remember to take a picture for you. It's nothing fancy -- the Petrol bag came with two orange foamy adjustable loops with velcro on one side, and I just cinched those around the base of the dipoles and stuck them to the velcro run above the pockets. It's not bombproof but it works.

I've always been impressed by this recorder. A few questions, if that's ok: on the "subout" jacks--are they wired so that shorting one of them (like combining the 2 channels for mono) would short both of them? How robust is the AES connector on the right side--have you made or had made a cable that breaks out the channels? Is the recorder's clock stable enough to be a master clock for your shoot? How do you like the limiters, esp for dialog? I see you have a small Sax mixer too--do you use that on the recorder's AES inputs? Have you worked much with the recorder by itself--how did that go?

sorry for so many questions--I haven't seen an RX4 user pop up here before!

phil p

Phil -

Here is the AES connector. It seems very strong. No problems there. This cable connects the AES output from my SX-M32 to SX-R4 AES inputs 7&8. From there I can send to any record tracks using the routing matrix. Sonosax made the cable for me.

SX-R4_AES_connector.JPG

About the sub outs, the TA3 and stereo mini are wired in parallel; shorting one connector also shorts the other.

I usually rely on the SX-M32 limiters, as these are on the front end, but the SX-R4 limiters seem very transparent. On the recorder, the limiter threshold is -2dBFS and is not adjustable. On the mixer, the threshold is adjustable internally. (The first 100 SX-M32 limiters were a tad crunchy -- this design has since been improved. Mine is #26; the limiters were upgraded by Vlad at PSS according to Sonosax revised spec. Much better! Thanks Vlad.)

I did use the SX-R4 sans mixer on a corporate DSLR shoot. It made for a very light, compact setup. (See the "Lightweight Bags" thread for pic.) I wouldn't try this if I had to send tracks to camera, but for a 5D/7D job it was fine. Also no mixer meant no pre-fader ISOs...

Hope this helps.

+1

Honestly, I can't discern twelve sources at once no matter how I split them between my two ears. With that much going on, I usually listen to the mix or a l/r split of some sort then flip the pfl switches to check individual channels as needed.

I'm am curious about the weight of your bag

Over 20 pounds...

absolutely, but with the 552 and the 8 iso's i can visually see all my levels in front of me.

the 788 is great but it can be an awful shit for scrolling through your iso's though, you think you're looking at one thing and next thing you realise its the other bank of tracks... not alot of fun after 14hrs shooting on the side of a mountain in the snow.

weighted the bag this evening:

its 18kg/40lbs. guess thats pretty high.

I was indeed referring to visual monitoring, of course you can't monitor twelve tracks in your cans at the same time.

In case anyone was curious, the Zaxcom ZaxPaq shortened to just 2 spaces fit perfectly, albeit a little snug, in a Portabrace RM-MULTI (the smaller of the two wireless bags, the RM-MULTI/E is a bit larger yet).

post-1336-0-07475500-1332463809.jpg

I just have to punch some holes for the antennas and have ordered a couple of right angle SMA to BNC female bulkhead cables, plus a pair of BNC 2.4GHZ 5dBi rubber ducks to move the IFB antennas outside of the bag. The shorter rubber ducks provide pretty much omnidirectional performance in both the horizontal and vertical planes. 5dBi antennas are still omni horizontally, but become sort of torus shapes or figure-8-like in the vertical plane. Higher gain antennas probably become too unwieldy / too directional for use in a bag setup, but would be good for fixed installs.

post-1336-0-12488600-1332463811.jpg

Front pocket fits my 4 COS-11's with accessories and 4 TRX transmitters, perfect for flying on the airplane with my critical stuff in my carry on bag.

Fabulous thread guys, I'm totally on board and following this. I was wondering if there was any way, like hobosoundguy did, of going through the trouble of listing the gear in the bags. Many of you have done this in one form or another, and I'm deeply grateful.

I get that the gear in the bag is in large part dependent on the gig that you're doing. However, I'm still working up to being comfortable with IFB/Zaxcom/timecode/boom talkback and so on, and want to figure out a good setup that will get me through the month of June on an indie feature.

And you can also add this fantastic product from ambient : the quick lock. You can mount or unmount a microphone in 2 seconds.

Very easy to switch to the best mic,...

http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/boompoles/accessories/qrt.html