Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

My bag for tomorrow.

When they called me a week ago, they said it would be ENG style (broadcast camera, run n gun, cabled etc...) and here I am thinking a couple wires and a boom...Then when they called me the end of day Friday, they said they will need 6 (hidden) lavs plus wireless stick mic and a boom. I asked for an A2, and they said no.

I said as long as they give me the time to properly wire without breathing down my neck...and also that they were gonna have one helluva gear rental bill!

...sigh - I miss features.

post-146-0-05685300-1333304568.jpg

Hi may i know which bag is this?

My bag for tomorrow.

When they called me a week ago, they said it would be ENG style (broadcast camera, run n gun, cabled etc...) and here I am thinking a couple wires and a boom...Then when they called me the end of day Friday, they said they will need 6 (hidden) lavs plus wireless stick mic and a boom. I asked for an A2, and they said no.

I said as long as they give me the time to properly wire without breathing down my neck...and also that they were gonna have one helluva gear rental bill!

...sigh - I miss features.

Ok so here s my bag setup for most projects these days. Took me a while to pur it together but I like how light it is compared to my previous mixer/recorder setups. The kortwich bag is great for the nomad but i wish they put hooks on the lower corners of the body side of the bag for the harness. I will have that done here because it doesn t fit very well with my petrol harness now.

I m still getting used to the nomad, it does take a bit to get your head around it but my confidence operating it is going fast. (still amazed by the "can't plug/unplug 48v powered mic without turning off the machine" thing and my sanken cs3 mic is having issues with the nomad.. Oh and why can t i plug a keyboard in the usb plug?? Anywayyy..)

I do have to say i like the machine overall though. I m sure they re gonna fix these things as time goes by. (and make us an app à la cl wifi while we there!!). I got one erxtc (for now) and really like what it can do. I don t think that it s super solidly built for a 500$ device but i m trying to protect it as best as i can with a iphone cover thing that has a clip on thing (great for hooking up anywhere.)

So yeah, i m back in the field with a whole new setup and it feels good to know that it s gonna get better with time.

Great thread, great site, love to hear what you guys have to say,

Cheers!

Dominique

post-2158-0-67708600-1333421603.jpg

There is a mod available - if your Nomad is experiencing this you should contact Zaxcom directly.

Hi jack, thanks for the quick reply.

I contacted howy already about this and i'm waiting for a reply from him. What s a mod? Are you talking about the can t unplug/plug a 48v without powering off the machine recommendation or the issues with the cs3?

Could be a number of things. Phantom sounds like it might be the culprit. The mod means the Nomad has to go back to Zaxcom, as far as I know, but the gospel comes from Glenn or Jack. You might consider updating your CS3 to a CS3-e, but if it seems to be working fine with an older mixer, I'm leaning towards the Nomad not powering the mic fully...? I've never had an issue with my CS3-e, even powering off an H4n.

There's an audio board upgrade, the 48v mod, the rf spray power connector mod, the mix-8 compatibility mod. I think they're the ones that need actual hardware modification. Serial numbers differ for each one. Anything older than 2 weeks will need the mix-8 mod, if you want to use the mix 8 with Nomad.

Yes, as far as I know they are free (under warranty), you just have to ship your unit there, Zaxcom will perform the mods and ship it back to you. The audio board upgrade is quite old, if you got one of the first Nomads it was necessary to use Zaxnet, I think. I'm going off memory here, so if you want to know exactly where your Nomad stands, ring or email Zax with your serial and they'll let you know.

Yes, as far as I know they are free (under warranty), you just have to ship your unit there, Zaxcom will perform the mods and ship it back to you. The audio board upgrade is quite old, if you got one of the first Nomads it was necessary to use Zaxnet, I think. I'm going off memory here, so if you want to know exactly where your Nomad stands, ring or email Zax with your serial and they'll let you know.

This is my experience.

The rf mod adds a capacitor to the power jack I believe. The phantom power mod is on the input, but I don't know what they change, they told me it was hardware and software.

The mix 8 support is a firmware upgrade that has to be done at the factory. I. E. Hard coded into a chip rather than part of the main software, although I don't know details.

That's what I've gathered in the breif conversations I had with zaxcom sending my nomad back. I'll post my experience with the updates once I get my nomad back.

http://wanderingear.net