Show me your bag

Mark Vesterskov

David,

Thanks for the kortwich bag photos..  Very helpful as I plan on getting a kortwich bag made for my 664.

What do you think of having kortwich add a pouch on each side of the waist belt (for transmitters or lav cases).

would this work or intefere with normal use?

Thanks

Chris

Chris, one of the photos Kortwich sent me show a small wireless xmiter bag attached on the waist belt attachment. If I can find it I will post it. I have emailed them photos of my modification. Hopefully that is something they would add on request to future bag orders

David

• 2 weeks later...

552, three 411A with two UM and on SM transmitter.  Camera hops to the right, Comtek to the left!  All powered by a NP1!  And a nice, large battery meter, thanks to the idea here on JWS! 

Still working on a shim so the third receiver is straight with everything else :blink:

post-32-0-59431400-1360363950_thumb.jpg

552, three 411A with two UM and on SM transmitter.  Camera hops to the right, Comtek to the left!  All powered by a NP1!  And a nice, large battery meter, thanks to the idea here on JWS! 

Still working on a shim so the third receiver is straight with everything else :blink:

Hey cmassey, I have an almost identical set up at the moment and have been looking into different powering options. Do you power the whole lot off a single NP-1? If so, how long do you normally get out of a single battery? Oh, and what capacity is/are your NP-1s?

Cheers,

Chak

I use the NP-L7s and power everything off one battery!  Just last night I turned on the entire rig, pushed record and it was still recording this morning!  So that is 8 hours and still going.  I did not have camera hop links, which would of course cut into that time!

Hope this helps...

cleve

Hi whats the digital read out on the upper left that says 137

Cheers

Austin

Right you are Andy!  One of those 99 cent meters off Ebay!  I spliced mine into my homebrew power distro system, so no plug involved!  I measured it against an expensive DVM and they agreed!  Funny thing, the voltmeters on the 411A receivers all read something different.  But no longer do I have to push the little button on the receiver.  Battery status bright red and in my face!!!

Olle, 15.5 pounds.  Feels a little on the hefty side right now with everything but nothing crazy.  Andy P- I'll post results to the dipole testing in a couple of days.  Doing range tests today and tomorrow on the job.  Did some preliminary testing with Jason at Pro-Sound yesterday and found the performance of the dipole in their building to not really be much better than using the whips but I want to do some field testing to really get a good feel for the differences.  We used shark fins first and the range was really good with those (down a flight of stairs and through closed doors) but I'm mainly a bag mixer right now and can't think of any real practical way of using shark fins with a bag.  I also want to test some long coax whips maybe mounted on the straps of my harness as well.

Larry, is that measurement from the tip or base (threaded) part of the antenna you speak of?

Tip. But we were speaking of a coax antenna that doesn't have a base so to speak. See:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/96-ACOAXBNC-Specify-Block/View-details.html

The last 1/4 wave section is the most critical. See the step in the shrink tubing? Everything past that to the tip should be away from the body. In an ideal world it would be the last 1/2 wavelength. See the PDF for a better drawing:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/images/PDFs/coaxantuse.pdf

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Make sure the first 1/4 wave section (5"-7") is in free air, i.e., away from the body, if possible.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Thanks Larry- Will do.  My testing so far has been long range line of sight with the dipole and a whip that came with the micplexer.  The dipole does provide a very strong signal (i've gone about 20-30 feet away in my testing so far) when I can see the talent with the transmitter.  The whip has come pretty close to that as well with some minor dips in signal strength but never a dropout.  The issue comes when there are physical obstructions.  Both the whip and the dipole seem to have difficulty hanging on to a signal when I go around corners etc.  Of course there are distance factors in that as well.  Right now I'm going to go with two dipoles on the bag to really see what the limitations are and then when I can, go with some long whips to see of there is a noticeable difference between long whips and dipoles.

I want to add that I had the transmitter at 50mw so far in my testing.  My guess is, that running the transmitter at 125mw will boost my range considerably.

I am enjoying the Kortwich bag for the 664/CL-6 combo.  The construction is much better than the Portabrace or Petro bags I have.  Combined with the double waist belt, the Kortwich really shines.  The downside for me is having some extra storage/mounting points.  They do sell some small wireless pouches that attach along the top front of the bag. 

My solution was to add two of the mounts that Petrol uses to mount their small pouches.  Now if I need the extra space for a Comtek or wireless hop transmitter, they can be quickly attached.

David

What is the model of your bag?