Worst environment ever... (and best)

Richard Ragon

Pablo: right on:

''In this cases good communication with your director (who in this case happens to be the shooter as well), and understanding what they want/need to capture to tell the story is essential. I'd say that in this particular show your sound is only as good as your director will allow it to be.''

Justan: it's 22nd today...

post-1129-0-61167500-1329929838.jpg

Pablo: right on:

''In this cases good communication with your director (who in this case happens to be the shooter as well), and understanding what they want/need to capture to tell the story is essential. I'd say that in this particular show your sound is only as good as your director will allow it to be.''

Justan: it's 22nd today...

Yes I know! I get to go home for acouple days then I'm back out here.

Indy 500... trackside... in the pits... during the race...

Of course, I've also been in the celebrity suites with Jack Nicholson and other notables during the race -- best view you can get and a catered buffet.

Not complainin'.

Then, there's the National Drags, standing just a few feet away from one of them top fuel babies takin' off. Yikes! It vibrates your entire body violently from the inside out -- I've never felt anything quite like it.

I am currently crammed into the central bunk of a party bus with 12 drunk reality cast members reecording to two 788ts while we drive 2 .5 hours to Jacksonville. When we get there we get out and go to live active bars where they get drinker. Nuff said... Ugh I can't wait for the feature I'm doing in march!

Did a shoot yesterday in Battery Park. Right on the water. Every ferry service has a boat coming in and out. Planes flying out of Newark and or landing at JFK or La Guardia flying constantly and directly overhead. And those damn helicopters flying over. Another shows up just as the sound of one fades away( I believe they flyover on purpose to see what we're doing). Now if this was a reality shoot I would have been fine. Untalented people tend to talk much louder. But this was scripted and it was a very intimate scene, complete with the tears flowing and the whispers of endearing comments. I wish I had my sound level meter. I have no doubt that the talent's voice level was lower than the noise floor at this location.

Had to do a stand-up at a large factory with enough background noise to make regular conversation difficult. Our concened producer asked if there was any chance that we could use the audio. I said it would be really tough. (It was done long before such wonderful plug ins were available). I used a Sanken Lav on my Lectro transmitter. Boom would have just pointed at the noise in the BG.

I told him to do the piece twice. One with actor in waist shot and again with tight head shot only. I told him he could probably use the close shot. He was dubious but later commented to me that it was amazing how much better the sound was with the close up view of the actor talking. "You could hear him much better". To me a interesting lesson learned.

Damn, maybe somebody can develop an app like tthat for all locations!

--S

Today the Disney Broadcast engineer showed me how he can turn sounds like 'atmosphere music' on/off with his phone. We were on main street, and he said watch this.. a few pushed buttons on the iPhone, and WHAM.. background music went off on main street.

He said he can control lights too.. including the castle lights. All for filming related items.

Wow... that rocked.

-Richard

I love the SPL meter apps available for the iPhone. That way, if we're in a loud location, and the director asks me if this is going to be a problem, I just show him the phone readout. Then I say, "going into the Red is very bad."

That's exactly what I did that day too, but did they care? Lol hell no.