My review of Petrol PS614 Bag

Tom Maloney

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if anyone could comment on how "protected" the cable connections are on the right and left side of their mixer/recorder using this new bag. I'm currently using an Eargonizer 1 and like how there is a buffer of space to prevent stress on the connections (including the all important power connector). Would definitely appreciate the reduction in weight though of the 614. Thanks in advance!

Steve

There is slight protection, but I don't know how it compares to the bag you are currently using.

The way the 614 is set up on the sides is that the 'pouch' that the cable connections extend into is protected by a triangle front portion with zippers on the top and bottom, and the rear is a very thin material with a drawstring attached to pull closed over the cables and keep everything snug.

The picture below shows the external pouch for TXs attached to the triangle portion that is stiff/reinforced with some sort of material. Both sides are the same in this respect. This triangle portion seems to both support the TX pouches on either side of the bag, and also to serve as protection against cable strain if you were to walk into something. As far as if you were to not be careful with this bag, I'm sure you could wind up damaging a connection, but I routinely set it in the back of cabs with me and sling it over my shoulder without any issues when it does bump into things. It is something I am not currently worried about, but I am careful with my equipment.

post-3713-0-36833000-1335808745.png

• 3 weeks later...

So I hadn't been able to figure out why in the world the drawstrings for this bag had hooks on the end. I kept trying to search for something to hook them to but they are tiny and inflexible so they won't clip to anything. Then I was walking pretty fast a couple days ago with my bag in transport mode (not rolling) and my headphones were smacking the side of my bag and it hit me...aefc0410-d800-e526.jpg

Now I like this bag even more than I already did. My only gripe is the Velcro piece near the rear (female side) covers the knobs of my 552 so gain staging can be tricky at times.

oh yeah, i remember the one thing i wasn't psyched on, the lack of the handles like the other bags have. i've heard some say they didn't like the handles and that they got in the way, but i find them very useful.

One could use that fatty leather single handle from PortaBrace (if it can reach the D rings in the PS614) or the shoulder strap...

I'm not a big fan of PB bags but the black leather handle and the padded suede shoulder strap are very good imo.

Just a suggestion...

This is work in progress but you can fit a DEVA IV (wt DVD drive) into the 614. It's tight at the top end but will get in with a bit of patience and ninja-like force. It gives excellent access to the side panels (inc changing battery). post-2823-0-28456000-1332540817.jpg I hope to fit an Audio RK3 rack into the front pocket - all in good time. Sorry about the pic, it'll be better in daylight. Wil

Thanks a lot for this test!

I was wondering if it would fit my Deva V without DVD... I guess the answer is yes since it's thinner than units with DVD.

It has connection rings on the bottom toward the back, so you could rig a belt using those.

I'm considering purchasing a military style belt (load-bearing) and rigging some form of clips to rest most of the bag weight around my waist for run and gun work. I'd like to have a bag setup that is more like a hiking backpack than something weighing heavily on my shoulders. The human physique is much better at carrying weight not on shoulders, but on hips or back. The shoulder straps would ideally only prevent the bag from falling forward, but would carry much less of the weight of the bag than the current shoulder straps allow.

• 1 month later...

Just got a 614 and love it. I had the old PEGZ-1 with my 552, 411's, and SR's. It's a lot lighter, smaller, yet I feel like I have more room to work with because of the radio holder. Feels like it fits on my Portabrace harness way better too.

I think my 614 might be a newer model, it's got a zipper opening right where the zaxnet antenna would be.

614a.jpg

614a.jpg

Thanks for the pictures!

Although something is needed to use the antenna, not sure about that long zip there with rain or dust...

I think a much smaller (say 2-4 cm) exit with velcro would be safer...

BTW, It is in the right place for Fusion's/Deva's timecode cable?

BTW, It is in the right place for Fusion's/Deva's timecode cable?

Yes, you could put the TC cable up through there, I actually have mine going into the front compartment instead. Every connection on both sides of the fusion is completely unobstructed in this bag :)