Pro tools 8.0.5 problems

Alfred Tesler

You don't have Microsoft Internet Explorer installed, right? IE actually breaks Protools 8. No, it doesn't have to be running, merely installed, and if it is installed PT won't work with the 002 rack. First thing that came to mind, since it took me 2 weeks to fix that one with my first install of PT 8.

The whole idea that a web browser can break an application is despicable ... another reason to hate Windows and Internet Explorer.

That might be a little harsh. If a program relies on external features found in a browser that is installed on the computer... say, Safari... and Safari isn't installed or updated or running properly on that computer, then you could unfairly say that Safari broke the program. I'm not sure exactly what is taking place in the Pro Tools situation described above but instead of being Internet Explorer's "fault", it might be Digi's fault for taking shortcuts and failing to write software that works on it's own.

The whole idea that a web browser can break an application is despicable ... another reason to hate Windows and Internet Explorer.

As bad as MS has been with their bloated OS's since '95, I'd honestly have to say this is more reason to hate ProTools, I think, than to hate Windows... it's PT who couldn't create a program to play nice with the OS for which it was written, and PT is the only software that I've ever heard of being affected this way. Sonar, Cubase, etc etc etc, even REAPER all worked just fine & had no problem communicating with their interfaces (even with the 002) - but PT had something in there that didn't play nice with something that IE8+ was doing. I read someplace that 8.0.3 was supposed to fix it, but who knows.

Sorry, but in this case the problem was with Digi's software, not the OS.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=243183

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=259598

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=243184

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/459738-updated-xp-protools-wont-open.html

So, yeah, Alfred, if your Windows automatic updates are on, there's a very good chance that it automatically updated you to the latest IE. Check your version of IE & if it's 8 or higher, on XP home that'd be what I'd try uninstalling first.

Yet another reason to dislike PT.

After I vented (never want to miss an opportunity to bash Windows) I was quite sure that the majority of blame should go to Digidesign. ProTools compatibility with Mac OS updates has been pretty pathetic as well, which is really bad considering the ProTools was born on the Mac platform and still has the Mac as its major user base.

This is why when I was on PT 6, and the newer and newer versions of PT came out, I just stayed on 6. I never did a system update or any software updates. Things just worked. I did sound design on a feature a few years ago, and it was mixed at Todd AO, and they were still on Mac OS9 using PT5. I was shocked, but it was still working for them, so they just stayed with it. I'm sure they've upgraded since then, though.

Ok all I'll tell u what I did...

I disabled the IE

Opend up the 002 and cleaned the cnnectors.

Installed the 8.0.3 again

Installed the 002 driver again

Changed the fire whire cable

And finally it came back to life

But it's still not over ,now I have to reinstall the dvtoolkit2

They shuld pay for all these hower of sweat.

We haven't experienced any major issues with updating our Pro Tools system the last few times. Mind you, we stopped playing operating system roulette at Mac OSX 10.6.8 since it, and the programs running under it (Pro Tools, Media Composer, Final Cut Pro... (7, of course)), seemed to be stable.

This is what I dislike most about the constant updating of operating systems, just when you get everything running smoothly, there's a big push by software companies to get you to upgrade. This is why we have no desire to install Albino Alleycat, or whatever the latest iteration of the Mac O.S. is.

We haven't experienced any major issues with updating our Pro Tools system the last few times. Mind you, we stopped playing operating system roulette at Mac OSX 10.6.8 since it, and the programs running under it (Pro Tools, Media Composer, Final Cut Pro... (7, of course)), seemed to be stable.

When I was running Pro Tools every day a few years ago, I always kept it on an "isolated" machine with a known stable operating system, and I was very reluctant to make any system changes for any reason. I didn't even like connecting it to a printer or the Web!

No question, both Digi and Avid editing systems are very, very fragile in terms of system stability, hardware compatibility, and many other issues. I once when through days of hair-pulling nightmares just because I had changed a monitor in the system, which caused Pro Tools to crash every few hours. Anything that deals with the i/o -- monitors, network connections, hard drives, printers, etc. -- is dicey.

If you think dealing with Avid/Digidesign is bad, try Adobe. To me, they're hands-down the worst in terms of violating operating system rules, misbehaving with other programs, using non-standard interfaces, and otherwise just being ornery to deal with. Awful company (in my experience), and I've been a customer for at least 25 years.