the Nomad post from Rado removed ???

filmsalang

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think his problem lies in the a/d converter. It's really the only part of the hardware that I can think of that could cause all of those problems at once. These things happen. I am patiently awaiting my nomad (re)order.

please keep us updated rado about the issue.

I love the concept of Zaxcom gear and the gear usually works well, but it takes way to long to service or even buy another replacement piece of gear.. I went with the 788t because I could get it serviced and back in my hands in 4 days round trip at the most. If I need to I can FedEx another 788t to me, overnight! SD will usually give you a loner if you are in a spot! That was my final deal breaker with the Nomad.... Not reliable or timely customer service. Just my humble opinion.

I love my Fusion and I've never had an issue with it. I'd like the Nomad but I don't think it's there yet. So I'm holding out.

As for there wireless. From people on here and people I know I hear about more issues with them then Lectro.

I love the idea of Zaxcom. Maybe hearing from some Zaxcom wireless owners that have never had an issue might help.

I've got to say that although Zaxcom is a pioneer in terms of features in their product line (or proposed features), they seem to have a higher percentage of lemons than other manufacturers. Also a higher percentage of user error caused perhaps by a bit of over-engineering, and manuals written by engineers and technicians and not "the rest of us".

Robert

??? Please back this up with facts - as opposed to emotions.

Robert do you own any Zaxcom products or have you used any of them?

I do not own any Zaxcom products. I have a long (relatively speaking) relationship with John Coffey, so I was pitched the Zaxcom line from the get go. A mixer who I worked with for a while bought a Deva II and had problems almost immediately. He gave it back and continued with a PD4 until going with a 744T and now 788T. He also owned a Cameo II, which he used until it was no longer supported.

I worked for many other mixers, with Fostex and SD and Zaxcom recorders, including older Deva II and newer models. MOST people had great success with their recorders. But there was a great love/hate divide with the Zaxcom line.

When I moved up, I considered a Deva. At that time, cost was a major consideration, as well as the fear that the whole company was supported by one person. I was very familiar with the SD line, so went with the 744T. A couple of years ago, when I was shopping for a recorder with more tracks to replace my Boom Recorder setup, I again considered Zaxcom. I played with the newer Deva, and really just found it to be over-engineered. I took it to set a few times, etc. Went with the 788T.

I was very excited about the QRX100, and considered that product for a new wireless boom setup. I was very excited about the Nomad (still am, really), and considered it for 2nd rig for insert car work. So I am not completely discouraged by the Zaxcom line. I just feel that in our line of work, reliability is the most important factor. I watched mixers of all levels struggle with their gear as I was working as a utility guy. Sometimes it was user error, sometimes older gear, sometimes too new gear. But I promised myself that I would not let the gear beat me. Simple and functional. That continues to be my opinion, and continues to be why I can't get on board the Zaxcom train. Not yet, anyway.

Robert

Edited by RPSharman

??? Please back this up with facts - as opposed to emotions.

You are clearly and painfully aware of how much time I spend looking through this discussion group. It is quite obvious to me, and must be to everyone here, that the longest and most frequent threads about gear problems, and the "work around" for some issues, exist in the Zaxcom line. It must also be a fact that there are more SD and Lectro users than there are Zaxcom users. So basic math dictates that there is a higher percentage of product problems with Zaxcom recorders and wireless than their major competitors, SD and Lectro. I'm not saying this percentage is high, merely that it is higher.

My real name,

Robert

Edited by RPSharman

I too wish the post hadn't been deleted, that's a pussy move dude. Instead stand by your posts and apologize later!

Robert you are spot on. I have deliberately not posted my history with the Zax products, because I 1) didn't wanna air my dirty laundry, and 2) it wouldn't have solved my problems. But I will say this: I have lost about $15k on Zax products; much more if you count the products I bought after I dumped my "lemons."

Currently my only Zax products are the two Devas (a 5.8 & a 16 which I love dearly but having two has been the only way to go [correctly infer here that they have both needed the ole' instant swap]), but I have gone through a Cameo II and three TRX/RS wires. This is the price I am willing to pay for having the baddest decks in the biz.

I see it as Zaxcom doing it their way, take it or leave it. If Lectro or SD truly had comparable products Zax may have to "up" their QC & hire someone to write the manuals to stay competetive. But since 2009 I have had great experiences with the company and I'm super happy with the Devas. My trepidation overflows at the thought of investing in their wires again though.

I've also always thought that since the Devas cost as much as a car, Zax should offer a 5 year full warranty AND offer loaners, just like car dealerships...

Dan Izen

Edited by Izen Ears

"1) didn't wanna air my dirty laundry, and 2) it wouldn't have solved my problems."

Maybe..but maybe it helps others from duplicating them...part of the benefit of user forums. And that too can push manufacturers to up their game. But it does seem fair, when possible, to give the company first dibs on rectifying things.

I like the car analogy..maybe an Onstar option to remotely disable a stolen unit ;)

I agree 100% with Glen: I would rather people leave their original comments, and then just add at the end, "hey, sorry I lost my temper -- the problem is resolved, I'm happy, the product works great, life goes on." If they delete their message and the whole discussion goes away, it doesn't help anybody.

I think Glenn Sanders and the support people at Zaxcom do an amazing, exceptional job at supporting their products. But I do concede that for any new products (especially anything computer-based and mission-critical), you have to 1) have backups, and 2) have great support from your local dealer. Coffey Sound bailed me out of a couple of Deva issues I had in the past, and so has Glenn back at the factory. In all cases, we resolved the situation and got the job done. I'm convinced Glenn is a thoroughly honorable guy who does great work, but any 1.0 product is going to have problems now and then.

Edited by Marc Wielage

Having read Roberts post I assumed he was referring to the Zaxcom recorders. I own a Deva and have never had a problem in the past 6 years. I know lots of other mixers with Deva's and have rarely heard of them having problems with them.

The funny thing is that as I read in this board I've found quite a few posts about people having problems with their SD's but rarely a Deva. That's how I see it anyways.

The 1.0 Nomand is another thing as are all computer products in their first year. I'll own one but not for another year - after the bugs are worked out.

Not my real name

Mirror

(get over it already)

Edited by Mirror

The difference being that the VERY occasional SD machine freeze is almost always due to unnecessary multitasking on the part of the user. And as a recent post of mine showed, it happened to me once (in 7 years on 744T and 2 years on 788T). And I'd take a freeze over recording something as tragic as what Rado posted.

What doesn't seem to happen with other manufacturers is failure out of the box. That's my criticism.

It's clear that the Zaxcom machines that work, do so flawlessly and with great results and reliability. It's the ones that don't that we're all talking about.

I still believe, percentage-wise, that Zaxcom has more problem products than other manufacturers. It might be due to their higher level of sophistication, but if that's the case, then perhaps more time in the shop and tighter lips are in order for new product releases.

Thanks,

Robert

(and I'll never get over it :-) )

Edited by RPSharman

Nothing changes. I was working for a radio station in Toronto when the Ampex ATR 100 came out. I said don't buy it as it isn't proven, and they bought Studer A80!s instead. Good thing as the early ATR's were a nightmare. One station chain that did buy them built their own switching boxes using optio couplers to replace the mechanical switches that broke constantly. The Nomad impresses me and I'm sure they will sort it out. As my STC sold for over $4,000 I'm tempted, but she who must be obeyed may have other plans.

I agree with many of the other mixers to keep the original post. I read it and gained valuable information, even with the frustration involved. This is honest documenting. And anyone dealing with sound gear knows 1.0's are going to have issues. There is nothing gained through deleting pertinent equipment issues.

David

I was one of those participating in the now gone thread, and pretty much was saying "<hat> "... others were even agreeing with me.

yes, it was a bit of an emotional, frustrated posting that went a bit negative, and really was an individual customer service issue, but we were also discussing manufacturers including a set of basic, approved media with gear that uses media, an idea I support. Even Zoom, Tascam, Edirol, and the other pro-sumer / MI players include a starter media. BTW, many MI products carry extended warranties...Brystrom equipment carries a 20 year warranty -- their Dolby SR units for Nagra IV-STC's are just expiring!

" gear that didn't work right out of the box. "

unfortunately, this is so common that it has a name: infant mortality...

anyone who brings any brand new gear to a set to open the box is begging Murphy to strike.

" 1.0 "

early adopters are the next round of beta-testers. A lot of folks were putting a lot of pressure on Zaxcom, and best I can figure there were 2 fanboys who were the original, brief, and somewhat public beta-testers, which I think ended up being more like final alpha testing, and now Nomad is in what I would call final stages of beta-testing... but that is me... I always want to be a late-early adopter, which is what I think this product is just becoming this spring. BTW, I mean this as no particular reflection on the product we are discussing over any other "technological leap" products not only in our industry, but in just about every industry these days. This is all become fairly normal product evolution, and there are typically risks in being at the bleeding edge.

" almost always due to unnecessary multitasking on the part of the user. "

Yeah, I'm gonna comment on this, too...

some of us remember the discussions on the old BBS system bout moving our recording to non-linear media (drives of any and all sorts) and our concerns about reading after writing, and computer devices being interrupted (that's what it is called) by other factors and tasks, and the potential for glitches due to OS's (any of them, all of them) constantly tending to numerous simultaneous tasks. Thnus we quickly ruled out general purpose computers (aka PC's no matter what OS) for our primary, original recordings; we have, however embraced special purpose computers ( which also include OS's) that are mission specific. This is not unusxual, and such computers and their OS's are specifically designed to offer rather complete priority to the specif mission, b e it running complex X-ray and medical machines, industrial equipment, or our recorders. We were assured that when we pressed record, nothing else would be happening other than recording, until we pressed stop. but then we kept asking for -- and getting--little extras, like renaming files, changing meta-data, marking points, etc. all of these are computer distractions from the mission critical task of recording.

We may as well have our recorders check our email while recording, in case the answer to our problem comes up on jwsound while we are recording...

8) I am SO on the sideline with this machine....... I am just waiting for some stability.... They probably ARE stable... but the perception is "not yet"... That's how I read all the info coming in.... VERY nice...but... The shipping back to ZAX and the amount of issues is a concern, but that being said, it's early... Too much, too fast (well not really) I feel so much angst relating to this particular machine...

As for getting an Infant mortality machine for me..... That's just how my life is.... I'm terrified... and, I totally understand waiting, saving, paying and then suffering.... I feel bad for those who have had issues.... I too would be upset and perhaps a tad bitter... aggravated is a good word here.. especially with the Payout for shipping and Ins... But, that's really "simply life" for all electronics these days.... to be fair, but for electronics that cost so much, it does border on something else.... maybe just MORE frustration, because it WAS such an expense... you really expect it to work as advertised..

Maybe an agreement or warranty which states they will pay for the shipping and such to get the recorder to and from in the event of a service issue for the first year..... I know that would make me feel a bit better about "jumping in".... I mean, if they REALLY feel good about it, and want to make a reliability statement, stand behind it with paid shipping and Ins. too... I mean, if it really is just a few machines, what do they have to loose?... Perception is very powerful as we are seeing here... whether it is warranted or not...

But for now..... still waiting..... money in hand.... Could I just jump to a 788?.... Maybe.... thinking more about it.... I am one of those that has never had issues in the field with a Nagra, Fostex or SD recorder..... Lucky, maybe..... Knock on wood...The thought is unsettling to me, even though I would just swap it out.... The folks we work with are so uptight, the 5 min would probably kill them all....dead....

Every single recording machine I've ever owned in over 37 years of working (something around 60 different machines) had at least a minor "issue" at some point during my use of it. Even my reel-to-reel Nagras hosed me on location more than once, for example. That's why you take some backup with you on the job, especially if you are playing a new axe. The Nomad is both a new design and new to most of the users here at the same time. Being an early adopter of new technology means having a good plan and taking your lumps.

phil p