Twade

as some of us have noticed, the search engine on the site is weak.

For example, a search for "nomad" yields no results.

My workaround is this, in case it hasn't been posted already

google.com

punch in

site:jwsoundgroup.net nomad

replace nomad with whatever you want to search. it works wonders for me anyway.

How does one search using tapatalk app on iPhone? Can't seem to search for content.

I think Tapatalk does not do such a good job of giving you access to all features and functions of the site. The search routine is not very good here even with "full size" browser, but Tapatalk provides its own interface to the forum sites it supports and I don't remember even looking to see how it displays/functions regarding search.

Are different people getting different results? Try this test... tell us what happens when you go here http://www.jwsoundgroup.net and type the word nomad with no quotes in the search box in the upper right. I get a list of 38 discussion threads that contain the word nomad. Are you really getting no results at all?

Yesterday, are you sure you did the search the same way? From the home page? The search box can search All Forums or This Forum or This Topic. That's why it was suggested that this little test be conducted under the same circumstances, from the home page, where the default search (without changing the selection in the dropdown box to the right) will be to search All Forums. Following those instructions, who doesn't get 38 results?

Vasileios, notice that when you searched for the word nomad with no quotes, you got a message that said "One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img'." Nomad is obviously more than 4 letters. Try searching for Alexa... no quotes. Do you get 50 results or the same "4 letter" error?

No, I'm serious. I'm trying to find where the threshold is. A 5-letter word is getting a response that says the word is less than 4 letters... but when you add the quotes, it works fine. So... does it work because of the quotes or because 5 letters plus the 2 quotes is 7 characters long and for some reason, it's looking for at least 7 characters? Zaxcom is 6 characters without the quotes. Can you try that please? And then please try a 7-letter word, like comteks, without quotes.

- Do you get what appears to be consistently good search results when your search contains 6 characters... either 6 letters or 4 letters plus the 2 quotes?

- Do you get consistently good results searching anything more than 6 characters, with or without quotes? (Make this just for single word searches. For multiple word searches, searching with and without quotes always gives different results.)

- When the search contains 4 or 5 characters, including quotes, does it always fail and give you the error that says you can't search for fewer than 4 characters?

- Do you get what appears to be consistently good search results when your search contains 6 characters... either 6 letters or 4 letters plus the 2 quotes?

- Do you get consistently good results searching anything more than 6 characters, with or without quotes? (Make this just for single word searches. For multiple word searches, searching with and without quotes always gives different results.)

- When the search contains 4 or 5 characters, including quotes, does it always fail and give you the error that says you can't search for fewer than 4 characters?

- 4 letters plus the 2 quotes. Will give me best results.

- With quotes.

- Give me fail in 5 characters without quotes.

The basic idea I think in searching to this forum is based to the "tag".

Your responses didn't completely resolve this but I think this all suggests that the quotes have no relevance except that it allows 4 and 5-letter search words to be counted as having a minimum of 6 characters. It seems odd but the pattern may be that for some people the minimum is 4 characters and for some people it's 6 characters. Maybe browser version and OS play a role (although it really doesn't seem likely). What are you using?

Your response wasn't totally clear to me but I think this all suggests that the quotes have no relevance except that it allows 4 and 5-letter search words to be counted as having a minimum of 6 characters. It seems odd but the pattern may be that for some people the minimum is 4 characters and for some people it's 6 characters. Maybe browser version and OS play a role. What are you using?

Mozilla Firefox and Windows XP.

I don't think about the browser.

I think what word written to this forum. For example.

Starting topic like this: zaxcom wireless

When you are searching: Zaxcom Wireless, I think the fail in results.

I think it has a direct response to how the writing.

You can always expect very different results when using quotes for searches that contain multiple words. Searching for zaxcom wireless will return any discussion that has the word zaxcom and the word wireless anywhere in the thread.... whereas searching for "zaxcom wireless" will only return discussions where those two words appear right next to each other in that exact order. That's how most search engines work and that feature greatly adds to the power of a search engine.

But I'm still wondering if this premise is correct... for single word searches, the quotes have no relevance except that it allows 4 and 5-letter search words to be counted as having a minimum of 6 characters... and that this is only relevant for some users because other users find that 4-letter search phrases work just fine.