Nomad Crashes, Ch 3 Problem and Other Anomalies

Robbie Leppzer

I’ve been using my Nomad-6 for the past three weeks on 12 different shoots for a documentary I am independently producing in association with HBO.

So, far the Nomad has crashed four times during recording, including twice in one day. Each time, except for one time, when the unit crashed (it stopped recording and the screen froze), it made a high-pitched tone that continued from the output channels (1 and 2) to my camera. On one occasion, the output was silent.

By simply shutting off the unit and restarting, I was able to fully recover the recording up until that point, but lost about 30 seconds of critical dialog that was happening each time.

On two occasions, including today, I’ve also had an intermittent problem with Channel 3 (which was set to line, 0 db trim) where by the sound was totally distorted and was cutting in and out with only part of the frequencies. (When I switched the same wireless receiver to another channel that was set the exact same way, the sound was fine.) Tonight, when I re-tested for the problem, I could not get the problem to re-appear. (After reading other people’s experience with distortion on Channel 3, if the trim was set to above 10 db, I cranked it up to 20 and 30 db and still the problem didn’t manifest, so it is one of those nasty intermittent problems.)

A couple times, I’ve also experienced the annoying problem of getting no sound out of a particular channel that was set up correctly and when I simply turned off the machine and started it again, the sound was fine from that same channel.

I do have the latest software - v2.76d. I reset to factory default settings and then manually re-set my settings after upgrading. I use the Transcend 133x 32GB CF cards.

I’m wondering if other Nomad users have experienced these problems.

I’m also emailing Glenn and Zaxcom with the same information.

Robbie Leppzer

Turning Tide Productions

www.turningtide.com

I reset to factory default settings and then manually re-set my settings the same as you and then had an unfortunate freeze with 2.67d.

The latest software is 2.79

I am running 2.77 at the moment.

After upgrading I have been running my Nomad almost 24/7recording for 3 days -

tone on 2 channels and 4 MKH8040 on the other 4 recording TV.

So far no problems and I am really impressed with the battery life.

I’ve been using my Nomad-6 for the past three weeks on 12 different shoots for a documentary I am independently producing in association with HBO.

So, far the Nomad has crashed four times during recording, including twice in one day. Each time, except for one time, when the unit crashed (it stopped recording and the screen froze), it made a high-pitched tone that continued from the output channels (1 and 2) to my camera. On one occasion, the output was silent.

By simply shutting off the unit and restarting, I was able to fully recover the recording up until that point, but lost about 30 seconds of critical dialog that was happening each time.

On two occasions, including today, I’ve also had an intermittent problem with Channel 3 (which was set to line, 0 db trim) where by the sound was totally distorted and was cutting in and out with only part of the frequencies. (When I switched the same wireless receiver to another channel that was set the exact same way, the sound was fine.) Tonight, when I re-tested for the problem, I could not get the problem to re-appear. (After reading other people’s experience with distortion on Channel 3, if the trim was set to above 10 db, I cranked it up to 20 and 30 db and still the problem didn’t manifest, so it is one of those nasty intermittent problems.)

A couple times, I’ve also experienced the annoying problem of getting no sound out of a particular channel that was set up correctly and when I simply turned off the machine and started it again, the sound was fine from that same channel.

I do have the latest software - v2.76d. I reset to factory default settings and then manually re-set my settings after upgrading. I use the Transcend 133x 32GB CF cards.

Robbie Leppzer

Turning Tide Productions

www.turningtide.com

I think it would be very helpful for all users if Zaxcom declared one fimrware version as "stable" and put it up on the website, even if it's an older one and has less features. Kind of an emergency version one could revert to if problems turn up on a new version during a shoot. That surely would avoid a lot of unnecessary disappointments. Of course it only works if there IS a previous version that is pretty much bug-free. I have found bugs on every shoot and email them to Zaxcom as soon as I can, and I think that's a normal process for a new product. But we do need a stable version asap.

The freezes have happened to me on the rare occasion, but so far always been in between takes for some reason, although I would want to get rid of the risk altogether, currently still running v2.74, waiting for Howy to point me to the latest firmware.

Haven't encountered intermittent problems with all my inputs to date.

Robbie Leppzer

Turning Tide Productions

www.turningtide.com

Hi Robbie,

Sorry, not trying to be picky on words but trying to understand what you meant by you could fully recover the recording up to that point, but you lost 30 secs of critical dialogue? Was it a 30 secs at an earlier part, or some other tracks? Kindly explain. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Lawrence

Hi Robbie,

Sorry, not trying to be picky on words but trying to understand what you meant by you could fully recover the recording up to that point, but you lost 30 secs of critical dialogue? Was it a 30 secs at an earlier part, or some other tracks? Kindly explain. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Lawrence

He meant the time right after the machine froze, but before he could reset.

Robbie,

I would recommend keeping the mirror function in the "on" mode, not "continuos". It's much more stable that way. I have experienced the same freezing problem, but it has never frozen while recording if mirror is just in the "on" mode.

I would recommend keeping the mirror function in the "on" mode, not "continuos". It's much more stable that way. I have experienced the same freezing problem, but it has never frozen while recording if mirror is just in the "on" mode.

Although not very high track counts - I generally will do 20 - 30 minute continuous mirror takes and I haven't found any stability issues.

I recorded a classical recital last night with mirroring on, 7 tracks, 1:40 continuous recording, no problems. Running 2.76d.

I did have a weird bug on channel 1 when I first got the unit, the sound would turn off if the trim was above 1/3 (can't remember the number). I tried another track, then went back to the first track, and it hasn't done it since. The unit shipped with 2.74 and I had several freezes, but they have gone away since upgrading to 2.76d.

I think there is a lot of mass panic regarding Nomad going on. Yes I think that there are people who are having issues with their Nomad but I also feel that those are a small percentage of people who are having issues vs satisfied users. I personally have had my Nomad for close to two months and a friend of mine has had his for almost three weeks and neither one of us has had any problems with it what so ever. No freezing, no lockups, no recording problems, no broken switches, nothing.

I don't know how many Nomads have been shipped (a few hundred?) at this point but it seems to me in a very unscientific observation that there are just a handful of people complaining about issues vs not. And generally people are quicker to go on line to post about problems or ask questions as to why something is happening vs someone who is not having an issue. The old adage no news is good news comes to mind here.

So i do think there are people who have genuine problems, and then there are those who jump on the bash Zaxcom bandwagon. But hell what product or anything sold be it a Nomad, a SD recorder, a new car, an apple computer nothing will have 100% flawless products shipped. That is why manufactures have warranties. Example: I bought a new Toyota a few years ago, the Toyota Camery is a very reliable car from a company that has a very reliable reputation and in the first year that car was in for service at least a dozen times for a variety of issues. I think i was in a small percentage of people who had such issues with that car but like senator mike says crap happens. And yes I was online on every forum complaining about Toyota. Which I would have not been doing if I was happy.

I want to go on record and say I and my friend both have had 0 Nomad issues, other than one operator error, that I helped him figured out with a call to Zaxcom the aid of the manual. And I encourage happy users to post as well as opposed to SD loyalist jumping all over Zaxcom for whatever reason.

This is my first piece of Zaxcom equipment and I have no hesitation recommending Nomad to anyone.

I think there is a lot of mass panic regarding Nomad going on. Yes I think that there are people who are having issues with their Nomad but I also feel that those are a small percentage of people who are having issues vs satisfied users. I personally have had my Nomad for close to two months and a friend of mine has had his for almost three weeks and neither one of us has had any problems with it what so ever. No freezing, no lockups, no recording problems, no broken switches, nothing.

I don't know how many Nomads have been shipped (a few hundred?) at this point but it seems to me in a very unscientific observation that there are just a handful of people complaining about issues vs not. And generally people are quicker to go on line to post about problems or ask questions as to why something is happening vs someone who is not having an issue. The old adage no news is good news comes to mind here.

So i do think there are people who have genuine problems, and then there are those who jump on the bash Zaxcom bandwagon. But hell what product or anything sold be it a Nomad, a SD recorder, a new car, an apple computer nothing will have 100% flawless products shipped. That is why manufactures have warranties. Example: I bought a new Toyota a few years ago, the Toyota Camery is a very reliable car from a company that has a very reliable reputation and in the first year that car was in for service at least a dozen times for a variety of issues. I think i was in a small percentage of people who had such issues with that car but like senator mike says crap happens. And yes I was online on every forum complaining about Toyota. Which I would have not been doing if I was happy.

I want to go on record and say I and my friend both have had 0 Nomad issues, other than one operator error, that I helped him figured out with a call to Zaxcom the aid of the manual. And I encourage happy users to post as well as opposed to SD loyalist jumping all over Zaxcom for whatever reason.

This is my first piece of Zaxcom equipment and I have no hesitation recommending Nomad to anyone.

I agree. I think a lot of nomad discussion has turned into nomad panic. I've had my 552 and 788s freeze on me as well, but I still trust those units completely. Just like I trust my nomad.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Just to clarify a few things:

When I mentioned losing 30 seconds of critical dialog, I was referring to the time it took from noticing that the machine had crashed to rebooting and resuming a new recording.

As I am filming continuously long meetings or events (1 - 2 hours) for my documentary, I have set the Nomad Mirror CF to “continuous.”

It seems from other people’s experience of NOT having problems in “continuous” mirror mode, I should keep doing that given my needs.

Although could I still record long events with mirror set to ON? (What happens if I stop the recording after an hour and then start recording again after 5 minutes, will that mess up the mirroring, which in ON mode only begins following a recording that has been stopped?)

As for comments about “Nomad panic” and “Zaxcom bashing”, I merely posted my post to see if other users had a similar experiences or not. I think it is a very good thing that most Nomad users have not had many problems.

And if it is only some users who have problems, it is good for Zaxcom, and for us as users, to know how widespread the experience is in order to determine if the problems are individualized or need to be resolved systemically with global software or hardware fixes.

I think the Nomad is an awesome unit. Also, each time (of the two times) I’ve posted a problem, a representative of Zaxcom contacted me very quickly, so I am very impressed with their individualized customer care.

As for Nomad updates that are available but not posted on the Zaxcom website, this is the first that I’ve heard about that. How do I access those advance updates?

Or is it better to wait until they are officially posted?

Jack, why do you say, “2.77 should solve most of your problems?”

"Although could I still record long events with mirror set to ON? (What happens if I stop the recording after an hour and then start recording again after 5 minutes, will that mess up the mirroring, which in ON mode only begins following a recording that has been stopped?)"

In normal mirror mode, the mirror process starts when you hit STOP. If you go back into record, mirroring stops since the recorder is set to RECORDING being the number one priority. When you hit STOP again, mirroring picks up right where it left off. I know this sounds scary but it does work and has worked flawlessly for as long as I have been doing it (and that is a very long tie since I never use continuous mirror). In your particular situation, I don't think continuous mirror should be a problem, but possibly if you are using all tracks and lots of effects, the processor might be just running at the top of its limit, causing continuous mirror to stall out.

like I wrote on another thread, I think both the Nomad hype and the Nomad panic are part of the same thing. A huge hype was created on this forum, which surely gave Zaxcom many (pre)orders, and if a little panic causes a bunch of people to wait before they order a Nomad that's fair enough, the other side of the medal.

Although could I still record long events with mirror set to ON? (What happens if I stop the recording after an hour and then start recording again after 5 minutes, will that mess up the mirroring, which in ON mode only begins following a recording that has been stopped?)

You can record long events with mirror ON or even OFF. If you set mirror to on but not continuous after you hit stop Nomad will begin to mirror. If you have mirror set to off you can mirror the entire folder at the end of the day or at your convince.

As for Nomad updates that are available but not posted on the Zaxcom website, this is the first that I’ve heard about that. How do I access those advance updates?

Or is it better to wait until they are officially posted?

The updates have been posed on the Zaxcom web site more specifically in the Zaxcom user forum. There are versions that are sent out some beta testers and even some dealers have access to them - generally these versions are still in the process of being tested and may, or may not, experience some bugs. So if you use them it is always a good idea to have the last problem free version with you so if the shit hits the fan you can always go back to that version.

Jack, why do you say, “2.77 should solve most of your problems?”

Its proving to be a bit more stable.

Like Jeff said, the Zaxcom mirroring is rock solid. I've been quite impressed with how well it works. Go into record, out of record, into record again, and on and on and nary a hickup. If you're delivering DVD-RAMs, and production has requested more than one copy, there's even a way to take only minutes at the end of the day to finish them (even on a Deva II).

My experience doesn't extend to the Nomad (yet--it should be any day now) but with both the Deva II and the Deva V, mirroring is awesome, smart, and dependable.

I'm not so sure there's been that much hype about the Nomad. It isn't hype if something lives up to its billing, and for many people, the Nomad has accomplished that. Excitement, followed by frenzy, is more accurate from my perspective. Zaxcom hit the nail on the head with this one, and orders are spiking as a result. Their recent CAS Technical Achievement Award is further evidence that this is a landmark device. It's revolutionary as well as evolutionary.

The only thing that could be called hype is if they don't deliver all the features they've promised. Glenn seems confident those will be implemented within the next couple of months. Fun times.

• 2 months later...

I unfortunately had two crashes today. The variety that causes a squeal or high pitch tone like blast that goes through the outputs. Once while recording (continuous mirror) and once while simply just on. Not recording at all. Running 2.99. Hoping someone can advise. It was noticed and was an issue.