COS-11D Misty

Erik Gao

Hi folks,

Recently I want to add these adorable lavs to my kit,but I'm a little confused about the normal version and the red dot version ,which one is perfect for my older lectro um400 (non sevro bias),and which one is more suitable for SMQV,my thinking is red dot for um400 , normal for SMQV,but I'm not so sure,I did search the forum but no answer solve my question exactly,so looking for some help here,any advice would be appreciate.

Erik

They're both suitable for all TX's, the red dot ones have a lower output level, nothing to do with servo bias inputs etc.

Thanks Jon, But I've asked the very same question to Sanken guys via email, they told me that they normally recommend the reduced sensitivity version for lectrosonics but didn't tell me the reason,just curious about that

Just found this at lectro's FAQ

"We recommend wiring the standard level COS-11 in a 2 wire configuration with a 1k resistor in series with the white wire (source wire) to ground. This reduces the output of the standard mic by 6 dB which will prevent overload of the input buffer on the UM400. This isn't necessary for the SM series since it cannot be overloaded by the COS-11 under any circumstances. It does make the microphone compatible with both transmitter series.

The Red Dot Cos-11's are designed to have 9 to 10 dB less output than the standard COS-11's and can therefore be wired with the source lead directly to ground"

Does it means Red Dot is a simple solution for um400 without add a.resistor?

You can also use the internal resistor on pin 5 for the source load on the standard COS-11 if you are willing to wire for servo only, i.e., the Lectro transmitters built for the last ~5 years or so. This is another way of eliminating the outboard resistor. See Fig.11 here:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/component/option,com_fss/Itemid,81/catid,4/kbartid,10/view,kb/

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Just found this at lectro's FAQ

"We recommend wiring the standard level COS-11 in a 2 wire configuration with a 1k resistor in series with the white wire (source wire) to ground. This reduces the output of the standard mic by 6 dB which will prevent overload of the input buffer on the UM400. This isn't necessary for the SM series since it cannot be overloaded by the COS-11 under any circumstances. It does make the microphone compatible with both transmitter series.

The Red Dot Cos-11's are designed to have 9 to 10 dB less output than the standard COS-11's and can therefore be wired with the source lead directly to ground"

Does it means Red Dot is a simple solution for um400 without add a.resistor?

When I purchased two of the red dot COS-11's a few years ago, it was at the advice of my sales contact at LSC -- I had also purchased two Lectro MM400c's, and it was explained to me that with this particular TX, the RF gain was somehow tied to the main output level of the unit -- thus a higher gain setting on the TX delivered better RF performance... the 10dB pad built into the red dot COS-11 was essentially meant to compensate for the higher gain setting on this TX.

I've only used these mics with the MM400c's (due to the threaded connector) so I can't comment on how they function with other TX's, but I've always considered them a "specialized" version -specifically designed for use with my MM400c's.

I'd love to hear what Larry might have to offer as to the validity of this way of thinking.

~tt