Spectral Audio Software/Plug In

aristotle_kumpis

Confirming that Audacity has spectral view. Also it'll display waveforms as either linear voltage (standard in every other program) or log. The log view more accurately reflects what you hear, and prevents details from getting buried in wide-range stuff.

Now if only it would scrub...

On the other hand, you can't beat FREE!

As far as editing spectral view, I can imagine it being handy if you're editing something with a lot of noise outside the dialog band, or music where you're interested in seeing a melody line. This is spectral speculation, of course...

Audacity also has a spectral view. Having not done much editing that way I'm unsure how good it is.

Why would you use spectral over wave form btw?

The cool thing about spectral editing is that you can actually see the different frequencies in an audio file, and allows you to remove it. The editors on the Tron film used it on dialog to get rid of a high pitch frequency that was caused by the costumes. Its like using Photoshop on an audio file. Very cool technology.

The cool thing about spectral editing is that you can actually see the different frequencies in an audio file, and allows you to remove it. The editors on the Tron film used it on dialog to get rid of a high pitch frequency that was caused by the costumes. Its like using Photoshop on an audio file. Very cool technology.

That was ReNOVAtor.

• 8 months later...

I sometimes check the Sony forums for audio-video editing and found this about Spectral Layers a few months ago so you might want to check it out before going this way.

Izotope RX has been there for years now and it's working great.

All in all, Sony sadly seems to don't give a heck about BWF format so far. Call it shooting yourself in the foot if you want my opinion, cause their soft is very intuitive and easy to get grips on.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=59&MessageID=821567

+1000 for izotope rx. when i edit dialog i spend probably half my time in that program...

+1000 more - I could not imagine audio post without this tool. Well, I could imagine it because this tool didn't always exist. But I would NEVER want to go back to working without it.

• 5 months later...