Question about timecode between SD 744t and 552

Andrew Miller

Hey guys.

I'm sorry if this is a really basic question.

I currently own a SD552 Mixer

and I'm looking to purchase a 744t

to expand my track count.

I know there is the 788t and that is a great piece of kit.

However my reasoning behind the 552/744t combination is for the ability to quickly separate my recording kit into 2 recorders. I'm only recording FX/atmospheres these days so i need to be able to, for example; continue using the 552 'off the shoulder' and placing the 744t inside say a car with another person operating it.

My question is if both the 552 and 744t are in my bag together, is it as simple as having the correct cable to feed timecode from the 744t to the 552 for the timestamping/code information etc? or do i need a separate TC generator (or Gadget) to have both these units 'synchronising' together (like one of the ambient TC products)

as a side note - i don't care so much about maintaining TC sync between machines while one is in a car and the other is on me for example.

I've had suggested to me to use an Ambient timecode Transceiver kit TC-TRX/B

My understanding of these would be for maintaining TC Wirelessly between the 552 and 744t (when they've been separated - in and out of a car) but like i said.. once i'm in that situation i would be treating the event as 2 separate recordings (for Post production sound purposes) and i don't want to have to fork out that kind of money if a simple cable between the 2 units when they're in my bag would do the job.

I really appreciate any help towards clarifying this up for me!

And i'm happy to supply more information if needed!

Thanks

Miller

Hello Andrew!

My question is if both the 552 and 744t are in my bag together, is it as simple as having the correct cable to feed timecode from the 744t to the 552 for the timestamping/code information etc?

A customized lemo5pin/TA3F cable is all you need. It's a cheap solution for in-the-bag-use.

Don't use the Transceiver Kit! - Especially not in a in-the-car-out-of-the-car-environment. It is too likely that you will loose your timecode signal.

If you want timecode when both units are separated, I would suggest to use an Ambient Lockit (ACL201-ACL204) or an Ambient LancLogger (ALL601).

Workflow:

- Synchronize the 744T and the Lockit/LancLogger at the beginning of your shooting day.

- Connect the Lockit/LancLogger to the 552.

- Keep the Lockit/LancLogger connected to the 552 during the shot.

So both units are synchronized frame-accurate for at least 24 hours. You don't have to worry about timecode. And you don't have to pull/connect any cables when taking your 552 out of the bag into the car.

The LancLogger (ALL601) is the smarter solution. It is smaller, lighter, cheaper and more versatile regarding timecode.

Best,

Tom

I use a Y splitter cable for timecode running into the 552. The 552 takes the TA3F and another end has a BNC for connection to a Deneke SB3 (which works great and is affordable). The other end is a five pin lemo for taking timecode from 788,744,71616,etc.. Watch for the blue LED that should light up solid when valid time code is being received by the 552 and eat your veggies.

I use a Y splitter cable for timecode running into the 552. The 552 takes the TA3F and another end has a BNC for connection to a Deneke SB3 (which works great and is affordable). The other end is a five pin lemo for taking timecode from 788,744,71616,etc.. Watch for the blue LED that should light up solid when valid time code is being received by the 552 and eat your veggies.

+1 That's exactly my workflow with the 744T/552 combo. Works a charm. Oh, and I really like brocolli.