• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wo cares to share their settings?

Mine:

Calculator: Average

Iterations: 4

Top dbm: -010

Bottom dbm: -110 (to get rid of the noise floor)

Marker: Peak

DSP: Filter

I'm curious to know what settings are working best for you guys.

I found the USB driver for the Mac:

http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/Software/Mac_OSX_VCP_Driver.zip

Unfortunately it's not working for me yet (iRFExplorer gets stuck while trying to initialize). Anyone got their RF Explorer to talk to a Mac?

My RF Explorer seems to always be "off" the center frequency of the wireless mics I'm using. In other words it does NOT appear to be terribly accurate. Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks, Tom
i have noticed this too. a tx set to 608MHz shows up at 607.9MHz but i dont necessarily need it to pinpoint other users mics, i just want to see what the noise floor looks like

Have you tried to calibrate your units for frequency? It's easy, but you need to install the Windows PC Client (or MAC equivalent), plus USB driver. Then run your RF Explorer via your computer. Select the Configuration tab. Now you'll see a Calibration area -- This requires a known reference frequency, & it's suggested in the documentation that you use a signal generator to provide that signal.

You think don't have a signal generator? You do -- use one of your wireless mic transmitters! Turn on one (just one) of your wireless mic transmitters (better with no microphone plugged in, and place it in the next room as you don't want to overload the receiver). Note the frequency you are transmitting on, and enter it as the Reference (MHz). Then press the Calibrate button -- & the unit will calibrate itself to the accuracy of you wireless mic transmitter.

Best, Alan

PS: I'm a retired RF/microwave engineer with 33+ years with HP/Agilent. While inexpensive, I can tell you this is much more than a toy. No, it's not a $15K spectrum analyzer, but it's extremely useful for surveying wireless mic frequencies -- and it's a bargain!

Wo cares to share their settings?

Mine:

Calculator: Average

Iterations: 4

Top dbm: -010

Bottom dbm: -110 (to get rid of the noise floor)

Marker: Peak

DSP: Filter

I'm curious to know what settings are working best for you guys.

I found the USB driver for the Mac:

http://www.silabs.co..._VCP_Driver.zip

Unfortunately it's not working for me yet (iRFExplorer gets stuck while trying to initialize). Anyone got their RF Explorer to talk to a Mac?

I got my RF Explorer today. I downloaded the Mac OS X driver, but haven't hooked it up yet. I was mostly interested in updating the device's firmware to 1.10 (this one shipped with 1.09) but that can't be done with the Mac, sadly.

In any case, it took it to my neighbor, an electrical engineer, and he felt it was a pretty good deal, considering the price. I'm leaving in a week for a shoot, and it came right on time. I'll report back once I've actually used in the field.

BK

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread...

So the go to RF Explorer would be this... ?

http://www.locationsound.com/rf-explorer-3g-combo-handheld-spectrum-analyzer---tes09102p--1451

Allowing for scanning down to Comtek level?

The other options seem not to scan below 240MHz

Is it worth paying the extra? What about the "lowest" model?

What are people using?

Big price jump from $125 to $269.

I would get the $129 WSUB1G model.  It covers 240-960 MHz. 

Also get a 50 ohm load for overload protection.  Since this model doesn't have a limiter to protect it from signal overloads, you've got to be careful not to "burn out" the front end.  When not using RF Explorer, remove the antenna & screw on the 50 ohm load.  When making measurements, remove the load & screw on the antenna...but use caution...

Before you replace the 50 ohm load with the antenna, make sure you are not close to a strong RF signal.  Keep RF explorer at least 5 or 10 feet away from a wireless mics that are transmitting, cell phones that are turned on, etc.

The RF Explorer works well when looking for interference-free frequencies & is a great value.

--Alan

I would get the $129 WSUB1G model.  It covers 240-960 MHz. 

Also get a 50 ohm load for overload protection.  Since this model doesn't have a limiter to protect it from signal overloads, you've got to be careful not to "burn out" the front end.  When not using RF Explorer, remove the antenna & screw on the 50 ohm load.  When making measurements, remove the load & screw on the antenna...but use caution...

Before you replace the 50 ohm load with the antenna, make sure you are not close to a strong RF signal.  Keep RF explorer at least 5 or 10 feet away from a wireless mics that are transmitting, cell phones that are turned on, etc.

The RF Explorer works well when looking for interference-free frequencies & is a great value.

--Alan

Well I've never taken any precautions like that and fed my RF explorer through airport scanners (with the antenna removed) and been to many countries with it and never had any signal overload, it still works fine.

But I guess I'm inviting trouble stating that...... :)

I also bought one of these, one from 240/960 MHz I have updated it with the firmware v.1.11. But in the pdf manual that I downloaded from the website it is not very clear, at least to me. I use a Lectrosonics system on the blocks 19 and 20. What should be the parameters to set the RF Explorer to have a correct view of the situation?

Sergio

I love mine, --I actually have two of them now, one basic + 2.4, the other one max loaded loaded.

The price difference is peanuts for a working professional, and of course deductible.

I have other uses for these units besides Production Sound, and the deluxe model is a great value, and a terrific tool.

I have one that can do Comtek range as well as WiFi ranges (Zaxnet). I don't use it a ton, but when you need it, it's great. If I work on something with tech scouts, I take it along to get a feel for the area. It's a lot easier than carrying a few 411 receivers like I did a few times in the past.

Picked up one last week with the Standard Scan plus wifi.  The WiFi scan was money helping find a clear channel for the CL-WiFi. New B camera guy shows up with his remote focus pull and sprayed all over default CL channels...Combine that with the Sound Stages in house WiFi and the RF explorer saved lots of headaches!  

• 7 months later...

Been using the basic WSUB1G model for six months now and it's a very valuable tool. It's in my mixer bag all the time. After some experimentation I found the proper settings that works adequately for me. When I scan I only change the center frequency and manually step around in the frequency spectrum keeping the rest of the settings the same.

Did two day documentary filming in Manchester and it was interesting watching com radio traffic going on and off in the 500MHz band, big lumps appearing and disappearing. A static scan with my Shure UR5 receivers probably would have missed them.

Then I did a conference gig and forgot to bring the RF Explorer the first day and felt kind of naked. It was almost like forgetting to bring headphones. :-)

Brought it along the second day and sure enough, two of the in-house wireless channels was set to less than ideal frequencies and after changing them the reception was spot on.

RF Explorer - buy with confidence!

Cheers

Fred

• 3 months later...

Bringing back the topic; I noticed there is a 6G version that covers more Spectrum (240 to 960-3G-6G) but the manual (and compiled info) is a little sloppy as to menu pages; with this unit, I'd just like to confirm the 240-960MHz Spectrum page has remained the same ? I wouldn't like to have so much wide covered on one page (15-2700MHz) that I'd lose definition or have to constantly zoom in for a minute before getting a nice reading of, say, one to three blocks...? (I hope it's clear...)