744t obsolete?

ChrisH

@matthewfreed - Many, from reading through these forums. I am not one of those users to spend the time slagging a product off (although I'm entitled to my opinion the same as anyone else), so you won't see any specific quotes from other posts placed here to 'prove' anything. It's just my opinion from reading what other users on here are going through.

@johnpaul - I see all of your points. But I will still purchase a 744t when possible unless something in my daily workflow changes (I already own a 552).

I believe that Zaxcom has made headways regarding supply - and as far as I know there are even dealers who have machines in stock.

Also I'm curious what are the software glitches and host of complaints you are referring to?

Oh man, serves me right for having an opinion on a forum.

I really don't feel like trolling the forum looking for Zaxcom complaints and then re-posting them here, nor do I feel it's my job, and it also wasn't the purpose of my post.

Let me be more clear: From what I have read, there have indeed been problems and supply issues that have caused me to change my mind about the product. Plus, I said I'd wait until those issues were fixed and then buy one!

So why do I feel like I'm being harassed for speaking my mind, particularly when I'm still a potential future buyer? I know you worked with Glenn closely with Nomad development, and probably still do, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

All due respect, of course. Really.

Oh man, serves me right for having an opinion on a forum.

I really don't feel like trolling the forum looking for Zaxcom complaints and then re-posting them here, nor do I feel it's my job, and it also wasn't the purpose of my post.

Let me be more clear: From what I have read, there have indeed been problems and supply issues that have caused me to change my mind about the product. Plus, I said I'd wait until those issues were fixed and then buy one!

So why do I feel like I'm being harassed for speaking my mind, particularly when I'm still a potential future buyer? I know you worked with Glenn closely with Nomad development, and probably still do, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

All due respect, of course. Really.

Also, didn't someone (Chris H.) bring up the very good point that threads like this get hijacked by Nomad? It really wasn't my intent to turn it into a Nomad attack or defense. Seriously.

:blink:

Dear Mr. Robot

So let me get this straight. You are the same guy who posted today

"I had previously intended on a Nomad, but with supply/demand problems, software glitches and a host of other complaints from users, I'll be waiting until the Nomad is a refined machine a year or five from now."

And also posted this

"Overall the 552 is very stable now, and locks up only every 1 of 20 times or so starting it up."

I think the difference here is that one of these statements is based on personal experence and one is claimed to be an "opinion" but looks to me to be presented as fact. Let me clarify the one based on "opinion."

Nomad software is very stable and is in use every day.

Zaxcom is delivering Nomads every busisness day to happy customers

Nomad surpasses every other currently offered mixer/recorder in virtually every aspect

You are entitled to your opinion but when that opinion is designed to portray the Nomad as having current problems that it does not have, it is reasonable for people to ask you to provide backup for your statements. Please offer some facts to back up your assertion of "software glitches and a host of other complaints from users" as current issues that have not been addressed that might be relivent in a Nomad purchase decision.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

Glenn and the rest,

This is what I was trying to avoid. I'm really a friendly guy trying to be friendly possibly too often. It's very disheartening that you are all so offended by such a simple post. Again, from my reading on this forum, I changed my opinion about possibly purchasing your (Glenn's) product until some things are worked out. Please try not to take that too personally.

It is very sad that I feel now like such a small community will be focused on negativity related to this post, and I think this could have all been worked out through PMs. Instead, I feel like a point is trying to be made, except one that's counterproductive. Particularly to a future owner of the products.

I didn't mean to upset anyone and I tried to make that clear. If I made a mistake regarding Zaxcom software instability, that was unintended and I'd have readily discussed it with someone. What I was referring to were users complaining that the Nomad shipped without full feature sets and other users having problems they've been posting on this forum like the two examples below among others. For instance, Jack, who questioned me prior to your post posted this:

snapback.pngberniebeaudry, on 21 February 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

My Nomad doesn't remember the mirroring either.

I'm running software version 2.76d and its working - just tried it to make sure.

I had and issue a while back after updating the software and it wasn't remembering mirror - I needed to do a recall to factory defaults to fix the issue.

And another (different user, happens to be similar software/firmware issue):

Just got a call from a client regarding a missing file from a shoot a week ago. They said the the first take was missing from the mirror card I had given them to transfer. Fortunately I had saved the files from the primary card. I had also noticed some inconsistencies in the mirroring process during other shoots. After speaking with Zaxcom it turns out that this is an inherent problem in the current firmware and they're working on it. Just a heads up though. Might want to roll on a dummy take just to get the mirror process working properly before you really get started.

The above examples are just two of many I have come across. I really didn't want to get into this, but I wasn't making anything up out of the blue and this community is terribly small. Please review the following thread if you're curious as to where I got those quotes:

I didn't intend for focus to be shifted to Zaxcom or the Nomad, etc., and I don't like being made to feel like I can't speak my mind. You also took the opportunity to quote me saying:

"Overall the 552 is very stable now, and locks up only every 1 of 20 times or so starting it up."

But the point of that post was that after reading for months on this forum, every device has issues. That was the takeaway, was that at the end of the day I am a happy user, and that every device will eventually have problems. That's what I've learned from the pros here. SD, Zaxcom, Lectro, all of them will eventually give you some sort of issue. So please take it in context.

I also want to publicly state that I'm still very much a positive person, and if anyone is upset, that person is not me. As I have stated before multiple times, I hope to own a Nomad one day when the time is right.

I'm a future customer, not a Zaxcom sniper.

Back to the original topic, there are a lot of newbies who are getting by on a Zoom, a lot of production companies that buy the Zoom, and a lot of people that rave about how awesome the Zoom is. If the Zoom isn't considered obsolete yet, then I would hold onto my 744t (if I had one).

Thank you.

I am completely impartial to gear - I don't care who makes it as long as it works. For the record I own Zax, Zoom, SD recording gear and they all work well most of the time and all have issues some of the time. I think that's the point here.

Glenn, you cannot deny that there HAVE BEEN some issues with the Nomad roll out that may turn off potential customers. Broken power switches, software glitches and interoperability issues, omissions, hardware issues (diode in the battery compartment, shorting out battery tray, phantom power freezing etc) and the like. To your absolute credit, all of these stated issues have been resolved and are no longer a problem, though you can see why it may be off-putting. Once burned, twice shy etc. You have a different way of operating to other companies and that's fine. Just don't attack people for not embracing it with the same passion you do.

It's a function of boards like this (and the possibility of instant gratification and solutions that the internet presents), that problems are posted before praise but that's just the way things go.

On a personal note, I am also holding off buying a Nomad. Mostly because I don't have a need for it yet (I have the 552, 744T combo and that does everything I need it to), but also because I want it to do everything you said it would before I smack down the dollars. On that day, you've got a customer in me.

No piece of gear is obsolete or not, it depends on the person using it and what they need it to do.

Edit: Huh, just had my 744T lock up on booting.

I was going to stay out of this as well but I am compelled to make some comments.

"Glenn and the rest,

This is what I was trying to avoid. I'm really a friendly guy trying to be friendly possibly too often. It's very disheartening that you are all so offended by such a simple post. Again, from my reading on this forum, I changed my opinion about possibly purchasing your (Glenn's) product until some things are worked out. Please try not to take that too personally."

Your post was not simple. A simple post, and to the proper point, would have been "I was thinking of getting a Nomad but I don't think it is really for me at this time since I have finally gotten my SD 552 working properly. My 552 only locks up once in awhile and it serves my needs for the jobs I am doing now." That sort of post would have avoided all of this crap that followed. I might add that the Topic at hand relates to the SD 744T in the first place and had already been driven pretty far off topic.

"It is very sad that I feel now like such a small community will be focused on negativity related to this post, and I think this could have all been worked out through PMs."

You have it right about small community but you do not have it right about "working it out through PM's"

"If I made a mistake regarding Zaxcom software instability, that was unintended and I'd have readily discussed it with someone."

The mistake you made was taking a handful of posts regarding Nomad (and there certainly have been volumes of posts for many months leading up to the initial release of Nomad), developing a personal opinion about the product (no harm there) and then posting your conclusion as fact. If you were truly concerned about "Zaxcom software instability" there are many here who would be perfectly willing to discuss that with you (but not in the SD 744T is obsolete topic where you posted that tour SD 552 makes you happy).

"I didn't intend for focus to be shifted to Zaxcom or the Nomad, etc., and I don't like being made to feel like I can't speak my mind."

You are free to speak your mind but it is YOU who shifted the subject to Zaxcom and Nomad before sharing with us that your are happy with your SD 552 that only locks up occasionally.

"But the point of that post was that after reading for months on this forum, every device has issues. That was the takeaway, was that at the end of the day I am a happy user, and that every device will eventually have problems.That's what I've learned from the pros here. SD, Zaxcom, Lectro, all of them will eventually give you some sort of issue. So please take it in context."

So, I guess you're takeaway is that since ALL devices either have or will have problems, your cool with the problems you have been having with your SD 552. Fine. Maybe a post that says just that might have been more appropriate.

Jeff, no reference was made by Alex to the lock up of the 552 in this thread. That logic jump was made by Glenn, combining 2 completely separate threads to defend his product (the other one is called' 552 firmware update' or something to that affect). Alex did not share in this thread anything in regards to a 552 mixer aside from the fact that he owned one.

His statements about there having been complaints and issues are in fact, fact, not opinion. It is a shame that all the subsequent attacks on his post were cause by the omission of the word 'previously'.

Your closing point is ridiculous, being based solely off Glenn's multi-thread post, and is quite rude.

Okay, this "topic" has really gotten off the rails and has produced quite a bit more nastiness and unpleasantry than we are used to. I accept some of the blame for possibly not moderating effectively and I expect that everyone else involved, Alex, Glenn, Justin, will do their best to put this particular conversation to rest. I would suggest that possibly we end the comments and replies that relate to SD 552 reliability, Nomad troubles past and present, and the conversations ABOUT the conversations. This topic shall live on "744T obsolete?" if anyone feels it has not been already discussed enough before all this other stuff showed up.

Thanks.

Glenn, we've met a couple times at Pro Sound, not sure if you remember. I really like you and love my Fusion, so I don't want this to come across as an attack. That said, I too have found your and Jack's evangelizing of the Nomad the past few months to be kinda overkill. This is a sound mixer's forum, and generally speaking (outside of the Senator and Oleg from a bygone era) is a safe space for people working as labor in this business to state their opinions and not be made to feel attacked (or as if they're attacking!). I could have missed something, but I've yet to read admission of any problems from either of you here regarding the Nomad. When people bring up issues, you could just say "we're working on it" or "fixed as of XX/XX date". Denying real-world issues that your customers have brought up in public is less productive and gives the wrong impression.

I TOTALLY dig your presence on this forum; its great to have your input and advice, and its also nice to know we (your customers) are being heard. However, there is a line where I don't think it is beneficial for anyone to have the owner of a company get involved in a discussion about people's personal choices regarding which brands/types of equipment to buy; in the end I think that while you are trying to instill respect for your product, it has the exact opposite effect.

Also, I agree with what Alex said above: "I'm a future customer, not a Zaxcom sniper." Your comment from last night came off as an attack, and I assume you did not intend it this way. I just think there are some discussions you should take the high road on.

Love ya!

e.

Hehehehe you guys amuse me so much :)

Psssssttttt...Glenn!...over here. As the owner of Zaxcom it's probably best to stay out of these silly debates.

Back to topic. 552 and 744t great combo! If that's what will work for you, go for it! By the way you can do four ISO's on a Zoom I've done it :) but no time code of course.

Glenn, we've met a couple times at Pro Sound, not sure if you remember. I really like you and love my Fusion, so I don't want this to come across as an attack. That said, I too have found your and Jack's evangelizing of the Nomad the past few months to be kinda overkill. This is a sound mixer's forum, and generally speaking (outside of the Senator and Oleg from a bygone era) is a safe space for people working as labor in this business to state their opinions and not be made to feel attacked (or as if they're attacking!). I could have missed something, but I've yet to read admission of any problems from either of you here regarding the Nomad. When people bring up issues, you could just say "we're working on it" or "fixed as of XX/XX date". Denying real-world issues that your customers have brought up in public is less productive and gives the wrong impression.

I TOTALLY dig your presence on this forum; its great to have your input and advice, and its also nice to know we (your customers) are being heard. However, there is a line where I don't think it is beneficial for anyone to have the owner of a company get involved in a discussion about people's personal choices regarding which brands/types of equipment to buy; in the end I think that while you are trying to instill respect for your product, it has the exact opposite effect.

Also, I agree with what Alex said above: "I'm a future customer, not a Zaxcom sniper." Your comment from last night came off as an attack, and I assume you did not intend it this way. I just think there are some discussions you should take the high road on.

Love ya!

e.

I totally agree with Mr. Goldberger here and I also understand where Alex was coming from. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Zaxcom owner (Fusion 12 and RX900S/TRX900) as well but lately, it seems the Zaxcom "reps" are being a bit....how should I say this.... defensive. Glenn and Jack, I'm in no way trying to attack, but merely stating what I have been noticing.

Back to the topic. I also own a 744T and I feel it is in no way obsolete. It is a solid and reliable piece of gear. It sounds GREAT and delivers in standard CF cards with BWF files. It has a rock solid Ambient Timecode clock. It's light, consumes very little power, and oh yeah it's a great looking piece of gear. I bought mine used and so far it has not failed at all.

This is a sound mixer's forum, and generally speaking (outside of the Senator and Oleg from a bygone era) is a safe space for people working as labor in this business to state their opinions and not be made to feel attacked

???

I think I was just "attacked"...

Sorry, but I disagree with that characterization of me

and the 702T and 744T are still capable, reliable, and profitably useful units.

Edited by studiomprd

However, there is a line where I don't think it is beneficial for anyone to have the owner of a company get involved in a discussion about people's personal choices regarding which brands/types of equipment to buy; in the end I think that while you are trying to instill respect for your product, it has the exact opposite effect.

If you get to know Glenn, you'll know that he's extremely passionate and committed to what he does, and (very understandably) has an emotional investment with his company's products and reputation. I get a sense of why he takes non-specific critiques personally, especially if it's somebody who comes to conclusions without actually first trying out the product. Reviews are not the same as putting the machine in your hands.

I also think it's important for people to remember that, about 13 years ago, Zaxcom had the very first all-in-one dedicated nonlinear digital sound recorder. Everything that's come since then has been a somebody else's interpretation of the Deva. (I hesitate to say "imitation," but let's face it, I tend to doubt the Cantar, the SD recorders, even the digital hard-drive Nagras and so on would have existed without the Deva.) Each of these companies are different, and could be ranked by users as Cadillacs, BMW's, Mercedes, even Bentleys. All great cars for different (but sometimes overlapping) markets.

All computer software has bugs; some are just worse than others. I can recall a time when Complete Post in LA was among the first customers in the world to install a major new mixing console/digital recording system in three studios. That system (which I'm reluctant to name) crashed so much and so disastrously, I think Complete lost $10 million worth of business in one year, and several major executives were fired over it. (True story.) Eventually, they threw it out, got different consoles and Pro Tools, and they're more successful now than ever. Things change.

I agree 100% with the Senator that all these SD products are still useful, making money for mixers every day, and capable of great sound in the right hands. SD and Zaxcom are just going back and forth like world-class players in a tennis match, and eventually we'll see what happens with competition for the Nomad. I have no doubt all kinds of new stuff will be out in the next year that will give everybody more choices.

• 7 years later...

Today in late 2019 I am using my 744T as a backup AES recorder to compliment my 664. It's fantastic. Set it to Ext-Auto Rec, set the 664 to Free Run Auto Mute and it starts and stop to the 664's command. Lovely backup headphone preamp with analog dial that will never go wrong!

7 hours ago, Fauzan said:

Today in late 2019 I am using my 744T as a backup AES recorder to compliment my 664. It's fantastic. Set it to Ext-Auto Rec, set the 664 to Free Run Auto Mute and it starts and stop to the 664's command. Lovely backup headphone preamp with analog dial that will never go wrong!

There‘s a strange trend here currently to resurrect old threads for no apparent reason, but this one was particularly entertaining, so thank you for that