744t obsolete?

ChrisH

15 hours ago, Fauzan said:

Today in late 2019 I am using my 744T as a backup AES recorder to compliment my 664. It's fantastic. Set it to Ext-Auto Rec, set the 664 to Free Run Auto Mute and it starts and stop to the 664's command. Lovely backup headphone preamp with analog dial that will never go wrong!

Fauzan, if the 664 is your master but it's set to Auto Mute, how do you jam your slates in the morning? Do you switch to Auto Mute after the initial jam?

48 minutes ago, BAB414 said:

Fauzan, if the 664 is your master but it's set to Auto Mute, how do you jam your slates in the morning? Do you switch to Auto Mute after the initial jam?

Hi BAB414, yes I do!

I jam my 664 from an Ambient Lockit. We don't use smart slates but I employ the Nano Lockit on the cameras.

Every few hours I would rejam the 664 to avoid any drift but in my experience the 664 will hold the timecode well for at least the first meal break (roughly 6 hours)

Also anyone that's going to try this: Make sure you set the 744T Timecode Hold Off to at least 2 seconds.

This is to ensure the 744T got the right timecode in before stamping the metadata on the file. 
I experimented with 0 second to get an instant record-stop trigger but I found the timecode to be wrong (the 744T needs time for the inbuilt-clock to chase timecode up-to-speed) and 2 seconds (default) is a good setting

3 minutes ago, Fauzan said:

Hi BAB414, yes I do!

I jam my 664 from an Ambient Lockit. We don't use smart slates but I employ the Nano Lockit on the cameras.

Every few hours I would rejam the 664 to avoid any drift but in my experience the 664 will hold the timecode well for at least the first meal break (roughly 6 hours)

Also anyone that's going to try this: Make sure you set the 744T Timecode Hold Off to at least 2 seconds.

This is to ensure the 744T got the right timecode in before stamping the metadata on the file. 
I experimented with 0 second to get an instant record-stop trigger but I found the timecode to be wrong (the 744T needs time for the inbuilt-clock to chase timecode up-to-speed) and 2 seconds (default) is a good setting

Thank you!

On 12/14/2019 at 1:48 PM, Fauzan said:

Hi BAB414, yes I do!

So I got it to work but for me to really enjoy using it, I need a way to be able to.jam TC devices in the morning and after lunch without having to change the timecode modes on both machines. Perhaps another device as the generator is the answer? Any other workarounds you can think of?

1 hour ago, BAB414 said:

So I got it to work but for me to really enjoy using it, I need a way to be able to.jam TC devices in the morning and after lunch without having to change the timecode modes on both machines. Perhaps another device as the generator is the answer? Any other workarounds you can think of?

Yes I use my Lockit to Jam the 664. You don't even need to change the Timecode mode on your 664 to do this. Just go to Timecode > Jam Menu and Jam from external device. It's only one cable swap away. You don't need to do anything on the 744T since it's chasing your 664.

The 664 will stay in its Free Run Auto Mute all the time.

40 minutes ago, Fauzan said:

Yes I use my Lockit to Jam the 664. You don't even need to change the Timecode mode on your 664 to do this. Just go to Timecode > Jam Menu and Jam from external device. It's only one cable swap away. You don't need to do anything on the 744T since it's chasing your 664.

The 664 will stay in its Free Run Auto Mute all the time.

I get that but I need my TC master to be TOD. I might need another device I can set. I think that's the answer. Thanks for the idea.