Mike's Sound Cart Build

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Felipe, thanks for the link to Rhino Linings --- I had never even considered this with all the carts I have built. It has always been either powder coating or anodizing, each with their own pros and cons. Good find (and nice to know that you actually used this process on a cart).

Sounds like Jeff is building another new cart...

Am I correct in thinking that the rear uprights will come off? Is that what the handscrews near the bottom are for?

Yes, you are correct in your assumptions. I wanted this whole cart to come apart and be easily re-assembled with just a turn of a few knobs. My goal is to get the frame to fit in the trunk of my chrysler and the skb's in the back seat.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this great industrial erector set http://www.8020.net/ I'm sure many of you have heard of it. Turns out they will send a truck out to your location and show you what you can actually do/create with it. Test the weight and strength of the product. If there is enough interest we can get him to come a central location and demo the stuff for a group of us. let me know.

This picture is my idea of juxtapasition. Kind of like a 'Mullet', only this is modern on the top and beat up on the bottom. Are you thinking about building the whole cart out of 8020? I've seen some nice ones. I'm designing a follow cart from the material.

Also, how do you like the Deva n Mix 8 work style? Any limitations or surprises? I wish Zax would build a new one combining the best of the Mix12 n Mix8.

CrewC

Mullet cart, now that's a good name! I actually got that PSC for free for renting out my 788t for a day. I needed to put together a small cart quickly, I'm slowly transitioning away from being a bag mixer, but still have to work out of my car...

Anyway, this works for me for now, the top comes off, allowing the PSC to fold up and fit neatly on top of a 1650 in my hatchback. As for the long run, I'll consider building the whole thing out of 80/20 but I like the idea of a really clean custom job as well, and I have some fabricators in the family....

And that's a 788t with a CL8 in the picture, not a mix8. I like the setup, simple and it works. I will eventually go the way of a nice analog console I hope, but this works for now.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good, I think if we started a "Sister Cart" album (like Sister Cities) ours would be a nice match. Re 19" accessories, that is the hardest thing to sort in a way, well it was for me. It was fairly easy to find shelves and trays but they were steel and heavy or their design took up to much rack space, there are some places that do aluminium shelves and draws but they are very expensive. After this job I think I'll pull my rig apart and do a bit of a rebuild, always little improvements needed and a nice winter job!

Curious re your main wheel attachment, when you unscrew them do the axles come of too? Some photos / parts info of that would be choice if poss (my ones do but not as easy as I'd like).

Cheers,

Chris.

Curious re your main wheel attachment, when you unscrew them do the axles come of too? Some photos / parts info of that would be choice if poss (my ones do but not as easy as I'd like).

Cheers,

Chris.

Shoot, I'll bring you an axle assembly if you let me visit you on set. LOL (keep up the good work btw!)

But yes, when I saw your cart I was surprised as to how similar they are. Even my boom pole cradles are going to be very similar.

I'll post some pics a little later today.