Mike's Sound Cart Build

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still looking for a place that sells rack mount drawers for cheap. Or, if you have some decent used ones for sale then please hit me up. I prefer to deal locally only (L.A. area). Thanks

Rackman in Sylmar. They'll make whatever you want, as well as having stock items. Manufactured on site. Local jobs and competetive pricing. Aluminum too, if you're interested.

In 350 years from now that will build my sound cart, the color will be have it color cyan.

I'm big fan for colored carts!

Michael what type metal?

Hmm, now you really have me thinking about changing the color. I wonder if its already been painted. I think I'll call the powdercoater and find out.

I built this cart out of steel since it was the cheapest/quickest option for me. I'm pretty sure I can build it out of aluminum and still have it be as strong. My next project will be an aluminum follow cart, so I guess I can judge the strength after I'm done building that one.

" I'm big fan for colored carts! "

one of my mentors had this motto displayed on his cart:

"High Quality, High Output, Low Profile"

Paint it with Green Screen color.

This give you little distance from the actors.

No boom. No lavaliers. Only dynamic microphones.

High Quality, High Output and you are looking fabulous with green color.

;D

Paint it with Green Screen color.

This give you little distance from the actors.

No boom. No lavaliers. Only dynamic microphones.

High Quality, High Output and you are looking fabulous with green color.

;D

I suppose I can just wear an entire green screen body suit too. This way I can be right in front of their face with my mic, yet still be invisilble. haha

There is one thing that I'd like to hear about once it's loaded. The unfortunate thing about equipment racks is that they are not an even weight load once all the gear is in place. The front rack rail ends up carrying most of the weight. An open archatecture cart can remedy this by placing the gear all around the shelving and structure to distribute the weight. I've helped this somewhat in my rack mount rigs by putting gear on both front and back rack rail as much as possible. Also, my I suggest that your battery power be as low to the rear axel as possible.

Again...nice job.

There is one thing that I'd like to hear about once it's loaded. The unfortunate thing about equipment racks is that they are not an even weight load once all the gear is in place. The front rack rail ends up carrying most of the weight. An open archatecture cart can remedy this by placing the gear all around the shelving and structure to distribute the weight. I've helped this somewhat in my rack mount rigs by putting gear on both front and back rack rail as much as possible. Also, my I suggest that your battery power be as low to the rear axel as possible.

Again...nice job.

After analyzing the design of most rackmount drawer systems I found it best to build my own. I also didn't like the way that they are only supported in the front as well as their overall weight. I chose to use 5/8" baltic birch to build the drawers since it is very tough when built right. The added weight by going with wood is less then steel drawers and I'm able to customize the size and make them deeper. I used full extending/soft closing drawer slides that support up to 100lbs in weight (not that I would ever have that much in one drawer). Even after pricing out the cheapest drawers I could find on the net I was able to build all 3 of these for less then one 2U steel drawer. I still have material left over for a custom shelf/drawer for my mixer.

Here are some pics of what I was able to get done this weekend. I'm going to finish them off with Walnut faces because I'm a bit nostalgic and I like that "old school toolbox" look. No sense having skills if I don't practice/put them to work.

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg