Red Epic Unbalanced Input "revisited" ERX1TCD Y Cable

RadoStefanov

Hi Rado,

I am rewiring an old Stereoline Zaxcom line hope cable like the one you did. I have found that, if I leave the Zaxcom Lemo 4pin unmodified, pin 1 & 4 (Ground and Genlock respectively in Red Epic configuration) are bridged and pin 3 is audio signal (Time code input in Red Epic config) .

Is it an issue if we leave ground connected to Genlock for our purpose of just feeding tc to Red?

Did you unsolder the Lemo pin contact number 3?

Thanks

Daniel

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

That's my point. Even if only outputting audio, there is timecode bleeding into that audio stream from inside the ERXTCD itself. Balanced connection to the epic is not going to fix it. If you send TC from one erx, and audio from another, the audio one is still going to have bleed in it, no matter what.

Just playing with this again today, and this doesn't seem to be the case. Audio is fine and clean when just the XLR is connected or outputting just audio. Once TC is connected and output, the bleed appears. Seems to be internal to the Epic.

Just playing with this again today, and this doesn't seem to be the case. Audio is fine and clean when just the XLR is connected or outputting just audio. Once TC is connected and output, the bleed appears. Seems to be internal to the Epic.

To be honest, I think the Epic was using a dud firmware on the job when I posted that. BUT- There is very low level TC and whine in the Zaxnet audio signal, at least in my version (which comes from a QRX).

To be honest, I think the Epic was using a dud firmware on the job when I posted that. BUT- There is very low level TC and whine in the Zaxnet audio signal, at least in my version (which comes from a QRX).

Justin, I have this problem also when feeding my ERX from my QRX.  It is internal to the QRX, and bums me out.  It is NOT a problem with the ERX receivers, as I use these as my primary IFB, Boom Op monitor, and camera hop with out bleed fed from either my Nomad or IFB100.

I posted about the QRX bleed on the Zax forum a little while ago, and never got anywhere.

• 10 months later...

I'm needing to revive this post as I'd like to get a definitive wiring configuration for the ERX2TCD to Red Epic sending a scratch track to the audio input and TC to the 4 pin Lemo.

This is what I have just wired in my cable assembly. As I don't have access to a camera at the moment, I can't test the cable so could some learnered fellow just check this and correct me if there's some glaring error.

Much appreciated!  

ERX side:

TRS - Tip- TC

Ring- Audio

Sleeve- ground

Epic side:

TRS- Tip- Audio +

Ring- ground (Unbalanced)

Sleeve- Ground

4 pin Lemo- 1- Ground (uncertain whether to connect the sleeve to pin 1 of the Lemo)

3- TC

Addendum: Is the input of the Epic mic/ line switchable? If it's mic only, how would I attenuate?

I'm needing to revive this post as I'd like to get a definitive wiring configuration for the ERX2TCD to Red Epic sending a scratch track to the audio input and TC to the 4 pin Lemo.

This is what I have just wired in my cable assembly. As I don't have access to a camera at the moment, I can't test the cable so could some learnered fellow just check this and correct me if there's some glaring error.

Much appreciated!  

ERX side:

TRS - Tip- TC

Ring- Audio

Sleeve- ground

Epic side:

TRS- Tip- Audio +

Ring- ground (Unbalanced)

Sleeve- Ground

4 pin Lemo- 1- Ground (uncertain whether to connect the sleeve to pin 1 of the Lemo)

3- TC

Addendum: Is the input of the Epic mic/ line switchable? If it's mic only, how would I attenuate?

It should be: ERX ring to Epic connector tip & ERX ground to Epic connector ground. There's no need to ground the ring on the Epic audio connector. Both ends of the cable are unbalanced from source to input as the ERX output is unbalanced.

It should be: ERX ring to Epic connector tip & ERX ground to Epic connector ground. There's no need to ground the ring on the Epic audio connector. Both ends of the cable are unbalanced from source to input as the ERX output is unbalanced.

Many thanks Eric. So then the ring on the Epic side is not connected at all? Also, on the lemo side, I presume I don't connect pin 1 to the sleeve either? 

Many thanks Eric. So then the ring on the Epic side is not connected at all? Also, on the lemo side, I presume I don't connect pin 1 to the sleeve either?

There's no need to connect the ring as there's no contact in the Epic for it. I don't believe it's necessary to contact the Lemo pin 1 to the shell. You could do it and if there's no problems then leave it alone.