this month's flavor ...

You can download the Canon 5D Mark III manual here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1ds_mark_iii

Perhaps that'll have some info on the tc capabilities of the camera...

The press release says:

"Like the EOS-1D X, the 5D Mark III also includes two methods of SMPTE-compliant timecode embedding, Rec Run and Free Run, allowing video footage from multiple cameras and separate audio recordings to be synced together in post production."

Hmmm...based on what I'm hearing about the C300's clock, well, I'm not expecting much...

You can download the Canon 5D Mark III manual here:

http://www.usa.canon...os_1ds_mark_iii

Perhaps that'll have some info on the tc capabilities of the camera...

The press release says:

"Like the EOS-1D X, the 5D Mark III also includes two methods of SMPTE-compliant timecode embedding, Rec Run and Free Run, allowing video footage from multiple cameras and separate audio recordings to be synced together in post production."

Hmmm...based on what I'm hearing about the C300's clock, well, I'm not expecting much...

The timecode 'syncing' capabilities on the 1Dx were to attach a proprietary cable between two cameras, which would syncronize their time-of-day clocks. I don't know if the 5D implementation is different, but you were not able to send TC from a lock-it box to the 1Dx

Oh no. This is the third sign of the end times.

[after a little reflection, let me revise this post...]

Actually, it's pretty cool.

Yeah i thought wow, who can afford that for there dslr. My one friend made one sorta like it in theory. He nick named it the "the wood" i thought it looked like a chopping block. I do think the Aaton inspired handle is pretty sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

The mark three is just in time. Now you can buy this wooden shoulder mount to make it seem like you have a faux aaton camera.

http://ergocine.blog...der-cat-20.html

HA HA HA!!! OMG thats great! And MAN is he trying to get a pretty pennt for that too! I went the Redrock Micro route with my shoulder rig. Nice thing about going that route is since its all so configurable, the more pieces you own the more configurations you can build.

"Anyone else wondering why they're nothing putting TA3 connectors on these cameras? it wouldn't take up much in the way of space and would be a huge step in the way of audio options."

As incremental as it seems, adding simultaneous audio monitoring via headphone jack is revolutionary in this market. Regarding getting better than that, Canon makes dedicated camcorders with XLRs............

But your suggestion would be a further advantage to companies like Nikon etc

I have contended that a base cam with a horribly overpriced breakout I/O adapter would make sense for these companies.

Canon do have their C300 and 'pro' range of cameras to protect. As you say, Nikon could easily get the jump on this.

There is the possibility of putting them into battery grips or breakout boxes for earlier models. But they may as well be XLR.

As Marc says, I don't think they're bothered about audio either.

I'm still flummoxed by Red putting 1/8" mini-phone jacks for audio inputs on their $40,000 Epic cameras. I can totally understand it on a $2500 still camera like the Canon EOS-7D... but not a $40,000 "4K" camera. Even a $5000 Sony prosumer camera has actual XLR audio inputs.

In fairness to Red, they are coming out with a $5000 module in April that will add XLR inputs and separate timecode jacks to the Epic. My fear is that a lot of camera owners are not going to buy or rent this option when it finally comes out (more than 6 months after the camera was released).

I'm still flummoxed by Red putting 1/8" mini-phone jacks for audio inputs on their $40,000 Epic cameras. I can totally understand it on a $2500 still camera like the Canon EOS-7D... but not a $40,000 "4K" camera. Even a $5000 Sony prosumer camera has actual XLR audio inputs.

In fairness to Red, they are coming out with a $5000 module in April that will add XLR inputs and separate timecode jacks to the Epic. My fear is that a lot of camera owners are not going to buy or rent this option when it finally comes out (more than 6 months after the camera was released).

My fear is when they do show up on set that producers will note that they now have XLR inputs and think that the audio quality has magically improved. Unless I've missed something, those things will just plug into the same 1/8" mini-jacks feeding marginal audio circuits that we have available now.

John, you would be stunned by the number of Red Camera users on the Reduser.net forum who want to slap a mike on top of the Red Epic and Scarlet "for reference audio only." And quite a few more that want to mount a shotgun on top of the thing. I think when they say "reference," they mean "reference that actually winds up in the final show."

I have no problem with people who are shooting under battle conditions, police work, etc., where a one-man crew is necessary, even mandatory under some situations. But I'm flummoxed that somebody would buy a $40,000 camera with god knows how much in lenses and related gear, and want to put a cheap mike on it.

And by the way, I've shot plenty of B-roll footage and stuff like that for news, and I get that there is a genuine need to sometimes get audio without a dedicated sound person. These people are trying to shoot actual movies and documentaries, and the level of ignorance is sometimes beyond comprehension.

It's the other way around. Cheap camera, expensive mic:

Iphone filmmakers meet up group (Northridge)

Date: 2012-03-19, 3:09PM PDT

Reply to: celestialithics@yahoo.com [Errors when replying to ads?]

The Iphone filmmakers meet up group is designed for those interested in film production and short films. We pool short scripts and projects among each other, workshop them and then go out and shoot the projects with our Iphones using industry standard production techniques. We then edit the films, screen them and send them off to festivals. There is no pay, this is not a gig. We are seeking passionate writers and filmmakers from all backgrounds, directors, editors, DP, sound, Visual effects, Actors to join us and go out and shoot material on a regular basis. This group is ideal for those new to film production and experienced production craftsman as well. Check us out on meet-up.com under Iphone filmmakers in Northridge.

The best way to contact us is through the Meet-up site on our Iphone filmmakers group page.

See you soon. Thanks!

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
  • Compensation: no pay

I am working with a guy who just bought a RED Scarlet and he pointed to the two 1/8" jacks on the front (which apparently comprise the default audio offering, because he was not up for buying the XLR add-on) and indicated that they were "mono inputs" (which made me scratch my head). He had been using a Radio Shack 1/8" stereo to mono adapter to get scratch sound onto the camera when he shot. He would usually take the stereo output of some signal (and yes, he has a battery powered hot-shoe "scratch audio mic" that he really liked using) and plug it into the adapter to <ahem> mix it down to mono (I can only assume line level) into the camera. This made me think that they were unbalanced line inputs, which REALLY made me scratch my head.

I actually get home and read the manual and discover that they are each 1/8" TRS balanced inputs.

Damn camera guys.

The 1/8" inputs on the front of the Red Epic and Red Scarlet can be balanced or unbalanced, menu selectable. I agree, it's a screwy, non-standard use of a jack. I think they were so hell-bent on making the camera small, they made the jacks as small as possible as a compromise.

I personally would've been much happier with a camera that was maybe half a foot deeper and had a better fan, full-size XLR jacks, a dedicated BNC for a timecode jack and a BNC for genlock. But that's me.