AFW: VALUE "get to know me rates" ! Moving to NYC

Hey guys,

I'm looking for work in the NYC area and could use a few pointers. Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but I could use all the advice/help that is out there.

I'm a location sound mixer/recordist as well as a pro tools certified operator and willing to work in either production or post or both. If anyone knows of studios hiring or if any of you guys are looking for a sound guy please let me know.

Much appreciated! Thanks in advance

Chris

ps. please PM me. thanks!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I'm looking for work in the NYC area and could use a few pointers. Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but I could use all the advice/help that is out there.

I'm a location sound mixer/recordist as well as a pro tools certified operator and willing to work in either production or post or both. If anyone knows of studios hiring or if any of you guys are looking for a sound guy please let me know.

Much appreciated! Thanks in advance

Chris

ps. please PM me. thanks!

Pick a market man, jack of all trades master of none. Are you a mixer cuz you

Earned it in school or do you have professional credit. Best thing you can do if you don't have experience is work under neath an experienced boom op and mixer. Worst thing you can do is get a big gig with no experience and mess it up.

Pick a market man, jack of all trades master of none. Are you a mixer cuz you Earned it in school or do you have professional credit. Best thing you can do if you don't have experience is work under neath an experienced boom op and mixer. Worst thing you can do is get a big gig with no experience and mess it up.

yeah dude, I don't know what it takes to get "Pro Tools Certified", but mixing in protools and production mixing are two completely different things with no correlation whatsoever. I don't see any production experience on your resume at all. Try and get on as a utility on some things around the city. I see a lot of things coming up over there every day, it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to work under.

Remember it is easier to get a bad name for yourself than get a good name. People will take more notice as to the things you blew before they notice the things you did right. It will take at least a couple of years before you get enough experience and the knowledge to know how to be confident in the field.

I guess you missed my profile picture. :D

I've done location sound mixing on two feature films, tons of shorts, handful of ads, and more student films than I care to remember.

I have the experience doing BOTH. I've also sound designed many projects so what I'm looking for in terms of work is either or.

Jack of all trades master of none is rubbish. The more you know about other aspects of sound the better of a "sound guy" you become. (This holds true about other departments too, lighting, camera, etc) I can't tell you how many times the knowledge of live reinforced sound systems has helped me on film shoots. Scenes where the actors have to speak over a PA or a band is really playing and guess what...no one on set knew how to hook the damn thing up. Knowing about that type of equipment allowed me to get better location sound for the post guys. Oh, and it also helps knowing the post production audio workflow because you can record sounds that you think might be usuable in post.

I guess what you guys are saying is add more location stuff to my resume? If that's the case, I've already got that covered. Different resumes for different job types.

Seems like there are a number of multi-purpose audio folk on here that do relatively high end work in location and post (not referring to me). But unless you have a taste for tuna or love that new app called "Race to the bottom", you might want to avoid the term "CHEAP!" We'll all thank you for that (I hope).

but mixing in protools and production mixing are two completely different things with no correlation whatsoever.

I'd say having to use your ears would be one correlation that mixing in protools and location mixing would have. And those guys who mix iso's from mixers that don't give mix tracks, those protools mixers are doing the job of a location sound mixer, just in the comfort of a studio no?

But yeah, this CHEAP business is the worst. Rent is too damn high in New York City and health care premiums are at an all time high for very little coverage. God forbid you tear a disc in your back, or four of them like myself... just about one of the worst things a soundy can go through when you're living in a multi story walk up and you are relying on public transportation to get you everywhere, so happy I wasn't working CHEAP last year. Don't undersell your education, you (or your parents or your grand parents) paid for that...

I'd say having to use your ears would be one correlation that mixing in protools and location mixing would have. And those guys who mix iso's from mixers that don't give mix tracks, those protools mixers are doing the job of a location sound mixer, just in the comfort of a studio no?

But yeah, this CHEAP business is the worst. Rent is too damn high in New York City and health care premiums are at an all time high for very little coverage. God forbid you tear a disc in your back, or four of them like myself... just about one of the worst things a soundy can go through when you're living in a multi story walk up and you are relying on public transportation to get you everywhere, so happy I wasn't working CHEAP last year. Don't undersell your education, you (or your parents or your grand parents) paid for that...

Someone mixing in a studio from isos doesn't have to deal with 1/10th of what a person mixing in the field deals with. Also someone mixing in the field doesn't have the luxury of going back to tweak one or two lines of a mix without having to remix the whole thing.

whole different animal.

Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

But, don't be surprised if people here think you are a beginner. You clearly stated that yourself in the topic header when you listed yourself as, "CHEAP."

By the time you have a substantial amount of experience you will have learned that you need to eat, you need to pay rent or house payments, you need to pay bills, you need to pay for equipment maintenence, you need to pay for new gear, you need to pay for down time, and you need to not screw your fellow sound mixers by eroding our value in the marketplace.

A little tough love -- but, seriously, welcome.

" I've done location sound mixing on two feature films, "

anything anyone might have actually seen, or at least heard of ??

actually: you've done production sound mixing on two feature length movies,

and frankly, working on student movies, and for other beginners' projects (was that your 2 feature length movies??) usually teaches you how real movies are not made!

If you want to do production sound, it would be a good idea to get on a real movie set and learn what goes on, and how production sound gets done properly....

oh, yeah, and what everyone else is saying about that "cheap" thing.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Makes sense about the "cheap" thing but I'll be in new teritory, figured I'd not ask for my normal rate of $350/day. I'm willing to start off low because no one knows me up there. Down here in Texas land (and LA), I can get away with a $350/day rate because people here know my work.

The two feature length films I did were in India so none of you have probably seen either of them. One is called "Watch Indian Circus" and has already won a few awards, one of them being from the Bushan International Film Festival (sometimes referred to as the Cannes of Asia)

The other film, "Shala" has already won 7 awards. Sadly none for sound but I won't get in to why or what films that it was up against did win...apparently you can't nominate one movie for ALL the awards so we were not considered for sound even though our sound was really good compared to the other nominees.

So, these are real (foreign) films and making a mark in their niches. I was hired by the same sound designer for both films so obviously I'm doing something right and yes I've been on a "real movie set". 100+ crew, award winning writers, directors, and DPs. Automatich jibs, frame accurate motorized dollys. blah blah. I'm sure that qualifies, even in another country, no?

Look, I'm just trying to move from Texas to NY, not start any fights or debats nor am I looking for anyone to correct me when I'm wrong. I guess I don't mind but that is not why I posted this. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to who I should contact, register with, etc etc that would be very helpful.

And if anyone out there needs an assistant, I know I have a lot to learn, as we all do really.

Thanks!

Help newbie (old school sound mixers) to "inside" the "real movie" and teaching the "secret" of production sound mixing.

Because the next generation sound mixers are coming.

:)

not sure what you meant but you are right about the next gen coming. all compound things decay, including human ears. film sound alumni, why not spread your vast knowledge to us younger generation "soundys"? soon your trade secrets will be gone and we won't know what we're doing and perhaps movies will start sounding as bad as music these days.

:)

Ha...thanks. That light saber video was for a friend. I just did all the sound design for it.

I can see how a smaller market like El Paso would be tough to get higher rates but I would also think there are far fewer sound mixers available, which would (should) help keep the rates more reasonable.

If you happen to be swinging through Dallas between now and May let me know. I'm mixing a show here until the 5th of May. We could grab a beer if you're in the area.

www.matthewfreed.com

Production Sound Mixing for TV, Films, and Commercials

not sure what you meant but you are right about the next gen coming. all compound things decay, including human ears. film sound alumni, why not spread your vast knowledge to us younger generation "soundys"? soon your trade secrets will be gone and we won't know what we're doing and perhaps movies will start sounding as bad as music these days.

Unfortunately, your beginner status shows more with every post. Not just with your rates ($350, even with the addition of a reasonable kit rental, is way low), but with your attitude. Your statement above is a prima facie example. You wouldn't have to comb through this forum for long before you'd find out that unselfish sharing of knowledge has been happening here in a major way for as long as this resource has existed. The depth of knowledge being freely offered is humbling even to those of us with several times as many years experience as you have. That you'd make such a statement without finding out even the most basic facts about the territory you have ventured into, speaks volumes about your impetuous youth. But, don't worry, you'll eventually grow out of it. <g>

You seem to be in much too big a hurry to show everyone what hot stuff you are to take the time to really see what's going on around you. Simmer down, slow down, get acquainted, and you'll be surprised and amazed by this community.

Remember the quote, (often attributed to Mark Twain, but actually, of unknown origin), "Better to keep silent and be suspected the fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Ah... I think I should shut up now.

John B,

again, i'm not here to start fights or make insults or anything negative like that. i'm sure there is loads of information here and many other forums out there. i wasn't saying that the people here are NOT sharing knowledge. i was simply interpreting what Vasilious posted, which was difficult to understand. the part about movies sounding as bad as music was a joke, obviously i'm not a fan of modern music or music production. too much compression. anyway...

i'm not trying to prove to anyone that i'm hot stuff. in fact, let me make this statement right now:

"i don't know anything. i've got a lot to learn and am willing to put in the time and energy to learn it. i'm not here to pretend to be better than anyone here or anyone anywhere. i try to remain humble when i can but i'm sure my words get misinterpreted by people from time to time. i apologize in advance for this. i don't spend hours on this site nor should anyone. i have a life and things going on around me that do not include sound or film or audio production or anything related. look, its simple: i'm just a sound guy in a small city trying to get out and make a better life for myself. sorry if i've offended anyone. geez"

and why is it unfortunate that i'm a beginner or that my beginner status shows? you were a beginner too once and there will always be new beginners in every field, everywhere. is that okay with you? i hope so cuz if not you'll have to take that up with the laws of physics, more specificially the phenomenom we call spacetime.

good luck

btw John B. $350/day in El Paso is great. my rent is $425/month. think about that. the cost of living here is low and unfortunately, there isn't a lot of money in circulation here. i'm lucky to be getting the rate i'm getting. and yes, that is before equipment rental.

we are from differenct territories. you can't actually believe that you know what its like to be a production mixer in every city in the united states. each city has its own economy. not all of us are lucky enough to live in big cities where people actually understand production costs so count your blessings and be happy you're not dealing with the bs i deal with here on the border...

and why is it unfortunate that i'm a beginner or that my beginner status shows? you were a beginner too once and there will always be new beginners in every field, everywhere. is that okay with you? i hope so cuz if not you'll have to take that up with the laws of physics, more specificially the phenomenom we call spacetime.

good luck

huh?

btw John B. $350/day in El Paso is great. my rent is $425/month. think about that. the cost of living here is low and unfortunately, there isn't a lot of money in circulation here. i'm lucky to be getting the rate i'm getting. and yes, that is before equipment rental.

we are from differenct territories. you can't actually believe that you know what its like to be a production mixer in every city in the united states. each city has its own economy. not all of us are lucky enough to live in big cities where people actually understand production costs so count your blessings and be happy you're not dealing with the bs i deal with here on the border...

I think the problem is that you are too defensive. You have come on here asking for work without contributing to any other conversation that I can see. (other than looking for gear to buy)

These guys on this site have great respect for the work they do. The last thing people want is a new guy with little experience and a 702 moving into their city and stealing all the work with their low rates.

Before asking people here for work, contribute to conversation. Gain knowledge. Ask Questions. Answer questions. Having someone with little experience or knowledge on your team is like working even more closely with that PA who constantly asks you questions about all your gear and how you get your job done through an entire project.

There are two types of people who are production sound mixers. The people who learned all their geeky stuff and worked their way up the ladder, and the people who bought gear and just started using it with no clue what they were doing. Don't be the second of these types of people. They generally don't get too far.

huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

time only moves forward (as far as we can tell) so in order to NOT be a beginner you have to be a "non beginner". non beginners are people with experience. no one is just born with experience, you have to earn it, you have to START somewhere. so, we are all beginners at one point in time. getting around that would mean manipulating spacetime. that part was a joke. (should've been obvious)

my question was: "what is wrong with that?"

i'm certainly not trying to hide that. i never said i was an audio guru. i just stated SOME my experiences.

new question: "do some of you guys just look for posts in which you can insult and burn people?" that seems very childish. if you find something wrong with someone's behavior or thought processes wouldn't it just make more sense to approach them kindly, or even neutrally? agression only attracts more agression although i'm trying not to let the statement become true. i'm gonna go running...