Replacement LEMO connectors

Matt Martin

I am looking to make some BNC to LEMO and ERX1TCD to LEMO time code cables for RED shoots. I find it very hard to justify the high cost of the pre-made cables but the LEMO connectors themselves are also not cheap.

In my research, I came across this site: http://www.econnek.com/ which has replacement LEMO connectors for a fraction of the price. I found one that is compatible with LEMO 4 pin but can't find a LEMO 5 pin on their site. The 4 pin is only $6.50 USD (even though it currently says 0 are available for shipping.... )

Does anyone have any experience with these connectors? Reliability, build quality, true compatibility with RED?

I just spent $60 on the wrong size lemos doing this myself. After my problem I ended up ordering one unterminated end from Trew, so Glenn and the boys may be able to sell you the part, which is around $20 retail.

Here's the correct sized part for timecode:

https://www.distrelec.com/ishopWebFront/catalog/product.do?language=en&shop==YY&series=1&id=01&node=DC-88207&artView=true&productNr=118592

PLEASE someone correct me if this is wrong, but after all my research the B series 5 pin lemo is the timecode standard.

Order it from one of the location sound vendors to make sure.. Or be prepared to do a lot of homework looking through Lemo's well-organized, but massive product directory and catalog of data sheets.

Oh fine, here are my notes from the last time I did it myself:

Lemo Part for TC:

FGG.0B.305.CLADxx

CLADxx designates:

C: Shell material - Chrome plated brass (L - Anodized Al)

L: Insulator material - Plastic (T - teflon)

A: Termination - solder

Dxx: Size of collet. D52 = 4.1mm-5mm cable OD

I just spent $60 on the wrong size lemos doing this myself. After my problem I ended up ordering one unterminated end from Trew, so Glenn and the boys may be able to sell you the part, which is around $20 retail.

Here's the correct sized part for timecode:

https://www.distrele...roductNr=118592

PLEASE someone correct me if this is wrong, but after all my research the B series 5 pin lemo is the timecode standard.

That looks right for a standard 5 pin Lemo connector. I'll double check this after posting. The part number is stamped on the connector, BTW.

Note that the Epic and Scarlet use a non-standard 00B 4 pin Lemo, I believe. If you order a 0B size 5 pin Lemo connector to use with an Epic or Scarlet timecode connection you will have ordered the wrong part.

Best regards,

Jim

" with these connectors? "

" LEMO connectors themselves are also not cheap. " !! ::)

beware of cheap imitations:

The Rule: generally speaking you get what you pay for.

I guess my question should have been worded more like "Based on actual personal experience, does anyone know if these LEMO imitations are cheap pieces of crap or just inexpensive alternatives that work just as well as the LEMO Branded versions." I know the general rule, but was trying to get further than assumptions.

Thanks for the specific links all, it's getting me closer to sourcing the right parts.

This is the 4pin version I found at econnek http://www.econnek.c...t&ProductID=406

The description says "compatible with LEMO FGG.00.304.CLAD27Z" which is the exact product number listed in the Epic and Scarlet manuals. Sounds like this is the right one? For $7 I guess it won't break the bank to try!

• 2 weeks later...

I use Keywolf for any of my connector needs. They are backward compatible to the LEMOs I have:

5 Pin, 0B Shell, in stock: $15.28 Each

http://www.keywolf.com/search.php?keywords=KW01.FGG.0B.305

Datasheet:

http://www.keywolf.com/metal_male_solder_plug.php

Connector Configurator in case you need a different number of pins. They guide you through the selection just like how Derek explained the part number to be.....Metal > Male Solder Plug > Number of Contacts > Cable Size

http://www.keywolf.com/pn_config.php

Except they have a minimum order of $50.

I stopped short of placing the order and then i got this email today:

Hi Vinod, we noticed you created an account but stopped short of placing an order.

We can only assume it is because of the international shipping prices on our website. The reason is FedEX is extremely expensive for international shipping and we have to use that for orders through our website.

We also recently starting selling our connectors on Ebay at http://myworld.ebay.com/keywolf/. On Ebay, we are willing to ship it via USPS which is much cheaper than FedEX. Please see our listings on Ebay and the connector you need isn't listed, please let me know what configuration and quantities you are looking for. That way, either we can list it on Ebay or that doesn't make sense, we can execute the order via the phone and credit card.

Regards,

--

Kevin Lee | Electro-Mechanical Engineer | KeyWolf LLC | +1 213-255-5943 | Los Angeles, CA

I wrote him about the 50$ min, let's see what he says...

sorry, got confused, that 50$ min is with econnek, not with key wolf... my bad...

VIn, I was just about to say, I never had to order $50 min before.

No problem, Marc. Let me know your thoughts on them if you ever check them out - they've been great for me thus far. Just not willing to pay ridiculous amounts of cash for connectors anymore....

Alright time for midnight snack---

Well, I just wired a 4-pin Lemo-type connector tonight for sending time code to an Epic. I used a connector I bought from one of the lesser known "usual suspects." It was not a Lemo brand one and, having wired several genuine Lemos, I could definitely tell the difference.

Those are tiny, precision connectors and the quality difference of the less-expensive copies does make a difference.

Another example of "You get what you pay for."

• 1 year later...

I bought a 4 pin lemo wired by Pro Sound for use with the scarlett in feb. $75. Used it for 4 weeks on a feature. 2 weeks ago the housing of the lemo plug fell off (the screw connection holding the locking lemo head had twisted off). Now I can't seem to twist the plug back on such that the pin arrangement is maintained relative to the red dot, or/& the pins are shallow enough in the housing to make consistent contact with the camera's female. Ive been plugging the cable bare in sans the lemo housing with the success, but the day will soon come when the solder has snapped.

Any clues on how to twist the lemo connector back on?

I would love to "get what i paid for" but i think Matt is onto something in his hunt for alternatives.

I bought a 4 pin lemo wired by Pro Sound for use with the scarlett in feb. $75. Used it for 4 weeks on a feature. 2 weeks ago the housing of the lemo plug fell off (the screw connection holding the locking lemo head had twisted off). Now I can't seem to twist the plug back on such that the pin arrangement is maintained relative to the red dot, or/& the pins are shallow enough in the housing to make consistent contact with the camera's female. Ive been plugging the cable bare in sans the lemo housing with the success, but the day will soon come when the solder has snapped.

Any clues on how to twist the lemo connector back on?

I would love to "get what i paid for" but i think Matt is onto something in his hunt for alternatives.

I have had these little guys fall apart as well.   You need to line up the metal shell to the plastic nub.. and then that nub lines up with the red dot.   It wont insert all the way unless you line it up, and unfortunately there is no guide track for insertion like you'd find on an XLR for example.  I think a bit of threadlock is nice addition to the barrel to keep it from loosening

• 2 weeks later...

what are folks using for a cable for a lemo4 to lemo5? any coily alternatives?

I've just received a lemo4 and I found that it does actually line up properly with a little notch. not hard to find, but everything is very small and one must be able to feel a small notch while putting it back together.