a supercar issue

Mattafact

Previous post was regarding the first edit. Second sounded great! I didn't realize there was music until it had been going a while. Either have it in or out. Check the mix at low volumes to see if the music disappears too much. Overall, it sounds fantastic and the edit looks great! Nice job.

As someone who has spent most of his life around race cars, especially the Prototypes that run long distance races like in the video, the only sounds which were remotely accurate were the wide shots ( as Tom V said ). Everything else was completely distorted. Even if you had the misfortune of being trapped in the engine bay, no way it would sound like that.

The editor did you in. Your recording sounds very nice. I'd even say that in the mix you did yourself, you should crank the car sounds up a bit !

Very tough to record, you've got to let the dynamic range play out. I did some recordings of F1 cars a couple years ago, and didn't realize until playback, that I could hear crickets between the cars !

It is! Never heard of the series, but recognized the Supermarionation look of Thunderbirds. And here's the first episode of Supercar; dig the theme song.

Love Supercar and Thunderbirds. Those were great shows to grow up with when I was a kid in the 1960s. They were a little rare in the states, but huge in the U.K. For those of us in the States, it was very hard to see these shows, which made it even more rare and surprising to discover it.

The whole "Supermarionation" thing was related to sound: they pre-recorded all the dialog with actors, recorded an on/off pulse that coincided with the consonants, so when the dialog was played back live on set, the on/off pulse was fed down an electrical wire, which triggered a solenoid inside the puppet's head to precisely open and close the mouth. That way, they had perfect lip-sync on the show. Very clever system. Gerry Anderson, though, hated the fact that the puppets couldn't "walk" very well, due to the limitations of marionettes.

We now return you to the previous racecar discussion...