How to Spot a Rookie at 100 Paces

Jan McL

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just like to note - no timecode. My submission is: Rookies who think you cannot make a film without timecode, and who assume you are unprofessional for not providing it when they have failed to budget for it.

So true... it's become a bit of a slippery slope these days. Granted, timecode definitely expedites the post process, but the expectations for it (and the reaction when it's not provided or when there are issues with it) have become somewhat unreasonable. Your example is spot on. If Tarantino can get around without it...

~tt

A lot of these fools want the free timecode, then even if you have BROUGHT a slate for them... They will flat refuse to use it.

This posting is a perfect example:

http://filmmakeriq.com/2011/11/the-joy-of-craigslist-no-pay-filmmaker-jobs/

Incidentally, I was just pondering whether or not it would be considered generally "unprofessional" or a rookie move to get creative with verbal slate ID's...

I think we covered that earlier. I don't see a point to doing anything except "A Camera Mark!"

The big exception would be multicamera sitcoms, where (at least from my first memory working on them back in 1984) they've always done verbal slates: "Scene Apple, Take 1! A&B Camera mark... C&X Camera mark!" That's pretty standard on those shows. If the cameras have half-hour loads, and the scenes are very long, 15 more seconds for the slate is not that big a deal.

Sitcoms kind of live in their own world, since they name the scenes with letters rather than numbers. But I can remember the AC's clowning around and using the names of the actors or characters for the letters. "Lucy, take 1!" That kind of thing.

I think we covered that earlier. I don't see a point to doing anything except "A Camera Mark!"

I'm referring more specifically to when a PSM "replaces" the normal verbal alphanumeric slate ID: "scene 24 foxtrot-alpha", with something more creative: "scene 24 falling-asleep"... etc.

Anyhow, just wondering how many other mixers do this.

~tt

I'm referring more specifically to when a PSM "replaces" the normal verbal alphanumeric slate ID: "scene 24 foxtrot-alpha", with something more creative: "scene 24 falling-asleep"... etc.

Doh, tell them to shut up and be less creative. Unless, of course, you're working for Quentin Tarentino!