Low cost, folding sound cart

saadasound

Im looking to get a cart for my 788t rig. What's a good recommendation for either an inexpensive cart or a good way to make one. Looking for a cart that is similar to the PSC or film tools cart, but also open to a follow cart like the magliner. Most important part is that it folds almost flat.

Are you looking to put your bag on a cart, or pop out of the bag?

I built my own PSC-style upright cart when using a mixer (mix12), rack mounted Lectro Venue, antenna mast etc. On jobs where I am in a bag, but want something cart-like, I also use a Rock n Roller R12. Just rest the bag on the shelf. Cheaper than a Magliner cart, and sturdy enough for your 788T bag rig. Not sure how it would handle being built out like people do with their Magliners, but it works great for what I need.

Another vote for the Rastorder Foldup cart. It's light, folds flat when you remover the quick detatch wheels. And it has options for boom pole/antenna mast holders along with hooks for cables.

It is a compact design and is a bit smaller than the PSC cart. However due to shipping from Australia, it isn't exactly inexpensive.

Plus Rob Stalder is a great guy to do business with.

post-639-133117620235.jpg

+1 for the Rastorder Foldup and the Rock n Roller both. I just got my foldup to use with my 788 bag setup, and have repurposed my Rock n Roller to follow cart. Both carts and all gear cases fit in a single layer in the back of a Subaru Forester with the back seats down.

• 1 year later...

I got a folding magliner from Amazon and got a couple shelves from Backstage. I also had Backstage add a longer nose (so it won't tip over) and added a boom mount on one side and a C Stand riser mount on the other side. I'm really happy with it for my bag. And I can add a CL9 on the second shelf so I can mix more comfortably. This cart has also been put into action as a satellite support cart and as a playback cart. It's great.

Tim Hays

post-1-0-19214500-1376833403_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-02286100-1376801143_thumb.jpg

Hi Tim,

I had the same idea. I bought the foldable magliner and now, I would like to add some shelves. How do you fix the shelves to the magliner? The idea is to have my bag with SD 664 and wireless on the top and use a Audiodeveloppment AD 245 for mixing on the low shelve.

Can you add some detailed pictures.

Olivier.

Hi Olivier

Backstage has shelves that mount to their upright magliner carts. They have bolts the go through the shelf and the magliner with a big plastic hand "nut". I had them drill holes through the 3 cross sections so I could put the shelves in any of those 3 positions. I'll try to take some pix for you but it make take me a few days to get them here. If you look at the pic of the magliner, the one that shows it open and folded, you can see the cross sections clearly. One cool thing I did was to get longer bolts and add the backstage rear magliner handlebars behind the highest shelf position which gives me another handle to move the cart around, but more importantly, it gives me a place to hang cables.

Petrol makes these led strip lights that run off of 2 AA batts, I got a couple of those and velcro'd them under each shelf. You can see that in my picture or the cart. They're cheap, very handy, and very cool.

http://www.petrolbags.com/product/0/PA1013/_/Deca_Removable_LED_Lighting_System?set_sub_site=19

I grabbed these links while posting this from my phone so I hope they work right.

Cheers, Tim

Hi Olivier

Backstage has shelves that mount to their upright magliner carts. They have bolts the go through the shelf and the magliner with a big plastic hand "nut". I had them drill holes through the 3 cross sections so I could put the shelves in any of those 3 positions. I'll try to take some pix for you but it make take me a few days to get them here. If you look at the pic of the magliner, the one that shows it open and folded, you can see the cross sections clearly. One cool thing I did was to get longer bolts and add the backstage rear magliner handlebars behind the highest shelf position which gives me another handle to move the cart around, but more importantly, it gives me a place to hang cables.

Petrol makes these led strip lights that run off of 2 AA batts, I got a couple of those and velcro'd them under each shelf. You can see that in my picture or the cart. They're cheap, very handy, and very cool.

http://www.petrolbags.com/product/0/PA1013/_/Deca_Removable_LED_Lighting_System?set_sub_site=19

I grabbed these links while posting this from my phone so I hope they work right.

Cheers, Tim

post-435-0-15508200-1376818228_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-53095600-1376818245_thumb.jpg

My idea was to semi-permanently mount a couple of speed rail sections so that I could fold the cart without having to de-rig too much hardware, then use Matthews monitor mount offset arms with magic finger for flexible configuration and positioning. I'm going to see what Chindha can offer instead with their new small cart, so still up in the air as to which way I'm going to go. As a folding magliner owner, I find it an extremely useful item to have around.

Ok, I managed to take some pix of my Mag Folder. I used it as a playback cart today.

Here's some pix of the cart as I broke it down today.

Heres a list of the things I did to it:

(2) Backstage Shelves

Backstage Magliner Rear Handlebars

Extended bars on the nose for stability

Added a boom mount

Added a C Stand riser mount

Added a baby pin on the top cross section

It looks like some of my pix are uploading rotated even though they are correct in the original file. Don't know what's making that happen, sorry.

post-435-0-56797100-1376882195_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-08789700-1376882223_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-42476700-1376882253_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-25491600-1376882282_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-86741200-1376882308_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-06496600-1376882337_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-96621500-1376882371_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-20397300-1376882401_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-00647200-1376882448_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-00105700-1376882476_thumb.jpg

"It looks like some of my pix are uploading rotated even though they are correct in the original file. Don't know what's making that happen, sorry."

Cart looks good...  I did similar things to one of the mini-carts that I built (from Magliner stuff and Backstage products). The problem with pictures being rotated is there actually is some meta-tag within the file that is storing its orientation. When there is only one image (on the site) I usually pull it off, open it in some image software (like GraphicsConverter), rotate it and then save it. I then upload the image back into the post that someone has made. In this case, there are a few too many images so I think I'll just let them be. I might pull one off and put it in the Gallery of Sound Carts if that's okay with you.

Hi Jeff

Please post whatever pix you like in the Gallery. Thanks.

I think I've discovered what happened, the sideways pix were taken with my iPhone upright and the correctly orientated pix were taken with my iPhone horizontally. Oh well.

I love this cart. It's so handy.

Cheers, Tim