Low cost, folding sound cart

saadasound

Dominque and Carios and all you, thank you. 

I made this cart over a period of 2 months. I want to made to this cart was Compact and Small and light. I was referring the the sound cart of this site. Sound Cart of this site is a wonderful cart. However, Japanese room is very small. My room is small too. I need small cart. I was thinking. This cart was born.

If you will make a same cart, I want to help you.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for a cheap cart for my Video Playback gear I came up with a solution that others may want to use for sound cart.

Costco has an Aluminum Hand Cart (Cosco 3 N 1 Hand truck)  That looks like a Magliner but is much cheaper and is more versatile.

When I bought mine it was about $95 but is now about $109.  I added about $10 worth of Tempered 1/4" Masonite and hardware store hardware [C] to make a folding shelf  and create a working cart that transforms from upright cart [A] for easy transport in my minivan to horizontal Cart  to haul cases to the set then to its 3/4 angle mode [D]  Where the cases can be placed on it and opened up and used as a working cart [E].   The folding shelf I added folds flat then pops up and locks into position using the carts own locking bar.  No extra parts to leave behind or lug around.   Transforms from Horizontal mode to 3/4 mode in about 10 seconds using no tools.

Only modification to the original cart is to drill 2 holes in the frame to mount the shelf bracket.  Total cost about $125 all in.  And in the Working Cart mode it is very stable because of the triangular angles and rolls well with a smaller footprint than a full Magliner.   Also the angle of the plastic tub I use for cables is held at a convenient angle and is easy to work out of while remaining fully mobile. With the leftover Masonite, I added a small  shelf to the lower level held in place by Velcro, which can hold a block battery or small case of extra gear. 

post-230-0-15078600-1379465886_thumb.jpg

Rock N Roller guys- how do you attach holders for boom poles? Just got an R12, and I got 2 PSC Bobbers, but haven't figured out a spot where they can work well and also not interfere with the folding of the cart. I have high and low shelves from RnR.

I don't know if they still make them (a google search only produced a manufacturer but no current images), but I found a canvas apron that zip ties to the end of a RnR cart in such a manner that it can fully fold up with the apron still on. A boom will lean a bit, so i safety it with a ball bungie to a small clip on the cart. The link below shows the apron in use on another cart:

http://www.syncsoundcinema.com/2008/12/apron-strings-good-kind.html

And here's the relevant result from searching for "boom pole apron":

http://filmtvsound.com/index.php/accessories-a-more/boompole-apron

attachicon.gifRock n Roller 12 mod 1.jpg

attachicon.gifRock n Roller 12 mod 2.jpg

attachicon.gifRock n Roller 12 mod 3.jpg

attachicon.gifRock n Roller 12 mod 3.5.jpg

attachicon.gifRock n Roller 12 mod 4.jpg

Although my 'shot-bag shelf' mod may appear to compromise the curb hopping ability of the 'stairclimbers' -

(So far ...) I have yet to encounter a situation I could not easily overcome. (The shelf is hinged on the rear axle shaft.)

attachicon.gifRock n Roller 12 mod 5.jpg

attachicon.gifRock n Roller 12 mod 6.jpg

attachicon.gifRock n Roller 12 mod 7.jpg

p.s. . . . I use http://www.notubes.com/Sealant-C14.aspx in my tubes.

Jim, very nice mods! What are the name of the rubber quick releases you're using for your boom poles? I have the bottom taken care of on my cart, but those would be a step above Bongo ties for sure. Mine is brand new (to me), so I'm going through the upgrade process now and these would just be wonderful.

new mexico soundmixer

Nice mods to you RnR.

Are the front and rear wheel original? They look bigger than mine.

I'm very interesting in more info on the bottom wood plate (boom holder) and top boom holder?

How does the bottom wood plate attach? More pics appreciated.

It looks like you have the top boom/stand holders attached to a removable bracket of some type. I'm trying to decipher this as well.

I really like your set-up... I need to do this soon.

Many thanks for any more info and pics.

Nice set up. I was guessing something like this. Maybe I can get busy on this soon. I have all the wood in stock.

Mine does not have ties like that, am envious.

It looks like you modified the headphone hanger to attache to the middle of the push handle. I'll have to get it and see how it attaches. My neighbor welds for a hobby, so should be able to adapt.

Many thanks and nice job!!

Is this too low cost?

ase4ymez.jpg

That looks very much like a shooting stool, like the ones that are typically found on the firing line of high power rifle competitions.  Here's a version that has wheels.

Verticle-Rifle-001A.jpg

Yes, a boom pole does in fact fit nicely where the rifle is pictured.  I have one, pull it out occasionally for light gear days in more rugged than usual locations.  It doesn't do too well with heavy loads, although I've pushed it's boundaries I'm sure with batteries, Peli 1510, mixer, recorder, and cables.

http://www.schnellermanufacturing.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/35

That looks very much like a shooting stool, like the ones that are typically found on the firing line of high power rifle competitions.  Here's a version that has wheels.

Verticle-Rifle-001A.jpg

Yes, a boom pole does in fact fit nicely where the rifle is pictured.  I have one, pull it out occasionally for light gear days in more rugged than usual locations.  It doesn't do too well with heavy loads, although I've pushed it's boundaries I'm sure with batteries, Peli 1510, mixer, recorder, and cables.

http://www.schnellermanufacturing.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/35

Tom that's very interesting. That could be excellent for carrying a light rig plus all batteries, cables, accessories, etc. Sometimes a light rig is great, but if you're going a long way from a storage / drop point hauling the extras by hand isn't usually an enticing option. Something to think about for sure. 

I'd say it that this cart is right on the border of being rugged enough to actually carry any significant amount of weight, and being compact, foldable, and useful for a long haul.

Tom that's very interesting. That could be excellent for carrying a light rig plus all batteries, cables, accessories, etc. Sometimes a light rig is great, but if you're going a long way from a storage / drop point hauling the extras by hand isn't usually an enticing option. Something to think about for sure.