Rack/bag for MOTU Traveler

I went with the MOTU finally after some soul-searching.  It really did get great reviews from nearly everyone; the Presonus did not, especially in regards to the mic preamp sound.

Now, I am looking for recommendations for a bag that will hold the Traveler, perhaps an additional 1U XLR patch-panel (so I don't have to dig around in the back of the rack to make frequently used connections) and a nice space to carry/use the laptop.

I have looked at the Gator bag and it will probably do fine, but I am not thrillled for some reason.  The Digi Designs bag looks nice on the outside but no one carries a photo of the inside; trying to find one locally so I can peek.  I am looking for somthing better; anyone got any good bags to look at?

D.

Now, I am looking for recommendations for a bag that will hold the Traveler, perhaps an additional 1U XLR patch-panel (so I don't have to dig around in the back of the rack to make frequently used connections) and a nice space to carry/use the laptop.

D.

Are you really looking for a BAG for the Traveler and a laptop? How's that going to work? Is this just to carry stuff around or is it going to be a working bag.

Below I have posted an image of a very nice Traveler/Metacorder rig... I am sorry to say that I do not remember who did this one. If you are looking for something like this, or a rack case to put stuff in, I have some other recommendations of ways you could go.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

post-1-13081507448_thumb.jpg

I opted to not go w/ bag since I seem to reconfig for every recording, sometimes w/ 2 Motu boxes some times one.  One thing to watch out for w/the Traveler--the first 4 inputs don't really pad down to a real hot line level--like one might get as a board feed at a live show etc..  I was also finding that I had to trim my mixer direct outs down to where I was making a stereo mix at too low a level, and the outputs to the Traveler/Metacorder were still too hot.  I ended up making -20db inline pads for those 4 inputs and the levels are now good all around.  Analog inputs 5-8 seem fine as is.  The later MOTU boxes (I have an 8Pre) don't seem to have this problem.

Philip Perkins

Phillip-

I always understood that those first four inputs were really mic-level inputs with the "pad" trim to allow for something like -10 keyboards input.  I am actually surprised that your -20 pads give you much "throw" on your trims.  But I certainly like the idea of in-line pads to take advantage if you need more than 4 line-level inputs.  I plan on pretty much using the Traveler to record live classical performances and rarely need more than three inputs for the people I record.

As an aside, I am pretty happy recording production track to my combination of Fostex DV824 and Sound Devices 744T.  I am really seeing no need for a Mertacorder/Boom Recorder setup because I don't think that a laptop is sufficiently durable to take, let's say, the wind and dust of the New Mexican dessert<g>.  Have I mentioned how much I hate the dust in New Mexico??  The above combination gives me FIVE copies of the dialog on the cart at any one time which I find, somehow, VERY AMUSING.  Has the THREE copies from the 744T bailed me out, more than once?  Sure has.

BTW, does anyone have an interior view of the Digidesigns Digipack bag. Can't find one anywhere althouigh the outside looks pretty sweet.

D.

Phillip-

I always understood that those first four inputs were really mic-level inputs with the "pad" trim to allow for something like -10 keyboards input.  I am actually surprised that your -20 pads give you much "throw" on your trims.  But I certainly like the idea of in-line pads to take advantage if you need more than 4 line-level inputs.  I plan on pretty much using the Traveler to record live classical performances and rarely need more than three inputs for the people I record.

As an aside, I am pretty happy recording production track to my combination of Fostex DV824 and Sound Devices 744T.  I am really seeing no need for a Mertacorder/Boom Recorder setup because I don't think that a laptop is sufficiently durable to take, let's say, the wind and dust of the New Mexican dessert<g>.  Have I mentioned how much I hate the dust in New Mexico??  The above combination gives me FIVE copies of the dialog on the cart at any one time which I find, somehow, VERY AMUSING.  Has the THREE copies from the 744T bailed me out, more than once?  Sure has.

BTW, does anyone have an interior view of the Digidesigns Digipack bag. Can't find one anywhere althouigh the outside looks pretty sweet.

D.

The Traveler line ins will line up pretty exactly where you want them with a +4 level on inputs 1-4.  The problem is that line sources from live recordings need more headroom than it has at that level.  The pres seem fine to me--I've used them quite a lot, sometimes 12 at a time without any nasty buildup of artifacts etc..  I know its dusty where you are but I've used laptops in very dusty places myself (and rainy) as have video assist guys and they hold up pretty well as long as you don't get stupid on them. My real main issue w/ recording to laptops isn't their durability, it is DC powering for days at a time (doable I know, with some fiddling) and visibility of the screen outside in the sun.  The setup Jeff W showed is very sweet but the whole rig is a little exposed and off-balance for my taste, and the screen is out in the open.  Darren B's cart (on here somewhere) I think is more like it--a kind of "lanai" arrangement for the laptop that shades it as well as protects it.  I limp along w/ a Hoodman--it's ok.

Philip Perkins