Other names for "boom buddies"

TheAudioSynthesist

Believe it or not... In the fishing section of your local outdoor superstore or Wal-Mart. There is a fishing pole holder that is almost exactly the same as those Pearstone units, for like $14. The K-Tek unit is a lot more expensive, obviously... But I saw in the outdoor store some options that looked strikingly similar to that too, and for a lot less.

You are looking to support a pole in a specific direction, without damaging it. Not unlike what a fisherman wants to do with his pole, and they aren't unlike each other in size.

At K-Tek we have the Boom Cradle.

Love the Boom Cradle. Very nice design. I modified mine somewhat by putting a pin in it so that it can't separate from the C-stand. Great for sit-down interviews, plus it looks good.

There are cheaper alternatives out there, but none made better than K-Tek's (IMHO).

Glen Trew (of Trew Audio and Remote Audio) has said that the Remote Audio version is better welded than the fishing pole ones you can buy from Walmart, etc.

I had a fishing pole version break at the weld but only when I was trying to bend it in a vise. I have several fishing pole ones I use on a regular basis that have had no problems other than the rubberized coating tending to wear at the corners. I have no idea if the Remote Audio one has ever had that issue or not.

I'm not stumping for one over the other, just reporting what I know. (But, don't buy the Pearstone.)

+1 on the Remote Audio Boom Boy being better built than the knock off brands. I have a 10-year-old Remote Audio Boom Boy that is wider than the brand new Remote Audio Boom Boys (3/16-inch wider). My old Boom Boy fits my Loon Penta, but the newer ones are slightly too narrow. I cut off the rear hook on the old Boom Boy and use the front arm as a fulcrum for my boom poles. Wrap a single layer of medical tape around the plastic coating and the handling noise disappears when I make minor one-handed adjustments to tweak placement. No problem with either Remote Audio model--old or new--on my K-Tek booms though.

I have to agree with Marc that the K-Tek Boom Cradles are well designed and well built. I prefer them for my longer booms to alleviate stress. But the Boom Boys work fine on shorter booms.