Sound Uniform: Wearing Black

Den Nic

Hey Guys,

I remember when I was in school and a couple of times afterwards I heard that us sound guys where black so if we got caught in reflection's we'd be safer. Most sound guys I see are wearing black or some dark shade. I usually wear darker shaded, especially black.

But in today's age of cameras, how valid is it to try to 'hide from reflections' by wearing black when booming? I mean you still have your arms and face to hide, and today's 4K cameras can pick up anything. (Makes me think of a post before when boomers used to cast a shadow on another shadow and film couldn't pick it up, but technology progressed and that went out the window). Then you have white logos on sound guys T-Shirts. Is wearing black just an old adage that just stuck?

One could even argue that wearing a neutrally shaded colour would allow you to be scene on the small screen ON the day, versus seen when they watch it on the big screen and see you moving.

Thoughts?

I've seen many a boom op and focus puller wear a duvateen serape to work on a set w a lot of reflection issues. An LA commercial director of renown insists his crews wear black. It is still considered a good practice. That said, I never did as a boom op. I wore a lot of color in my youth. These days it doesn't matter because I'm in the back row. The 4K and beyond resolutions of HD cameras is a good question to ponder. I'm guessing that lights, camera, people, will be as much an issue as the boom op.

CrewC

Black makes me itchy for some reason, I hate wearing it.... If its above 60 degrees or in ANY sun, forget it... I LOATH wearing it.. feels uncomfortable to me. Like Crew, I dont care too much for being right around the camera, for me the farther the better from the crew...

I try to simply be comfortable for the location. I will leave the uniforms to the conformists....of which I am not... ;D

For boom ops or the around camera folks I understand.. That does make sense.

I often wear dark clothes to hide myself as a boom but that's not too far from what i wear usually....it's not too often that my pale arms stick in the reflection that I'm blamed for...and then usually they say "you're ok if you don't move" and I say " that's great...as long as the actors don't either!"

Wear one of these...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368322-REG/Garfield_SGARROBE1_Photo_Black_Robe.html

A couple of months ago, we were at a location with a huge glass wall along one side of the room and the view behind was the background for the two judges on a cooking competition show. The trees outside were lit since it was a night shoot.

Previoulsy at the production meeting for this day, they were concerned about reflections, not from the sound dept since it was all radio mics, but from the camera ops etc. I suggested the Garfield anti reflection robes for all the cam crew. They all thought I was joking which I kinda was but deep down, I would've loved to see the whole camera dept wearing these robes and looking very hilarious all night long!!!!! Would've been a great photo!!!

Its a usefull product from Garfield for certain situations though.

Funny, I thought it was more wide spread. Also, that robe is hilarious. If I was to wear one I would definitely whip out my Red Lightsaber, Sith Sound lol. I don't really care about wearing black, because I really believe it won't help you at that much at all, but if a mixer wants me to wear black, it's his department and it's his call.

Definitely smart to wear dark colors. Besides minimizing bounce light and reflections, there is the perception that you're aware that you might contribute to bounce light and reflections. Best to keep a low profile and show that you understand the process, rather than invite that one instance where it matters or where some dope thinks it matters even if it doesn't.

I'd be concerned if my boom op showed up in bright colors. Beyond what Laurence mentioned about possibly bouncing light onto the set (as slight as it might be, you don't usually find operators and ACs wearing bright colors), there's an issue of being distracting to talent if you have to move during a take.

Black may not be necessary, but it's nice to be neutral. My boom ops typically dress neutrally, but keep a black jacket or sweatshirt on the cart just in case.

There's another color besides black? Being a Harley rider most of my wardrobe is black anyway. Just a matter of practicality because it hides grease and road grime better. I've only been asked once to wear all black for a production years ago.

The only color I won't be wearing following our last shoot is green. We shot a documentary in a medium security prison and the producer wore a green shirt. On the way out, the guard at Master Control asked the producer if he felt he was being watched. The producer didn't know how to respond. The guard went on to explain that the inmates wear green jumpsuits and the guards posted on the four towers had the producer in their "sights" all day long.

I wear a suit made of bright, reflective sequins. I figure if the rest of the crew isn't going to shut up during takes then I'm not going to worry about hiding from the camera.

Ha! Looks like that's working out pretty well for you. Too bad they got the name wrong on your customized harness.

chris+mirrors+close.jpg

If one is wearinbg "show black", there are no logos or other distractions, the entire outfit is solid flat black, and the shirt is long sleeves... This is now primarily a stage (theater) thing,

Apparently I'm always 'in uniform'. :P

Due to my being part asian I've got black hair and am fairly pale, so I've never felt that I look good in color. I also have no interest in being a walking billboard, so I'm pretty much always in a plain black shirt of one sort or other. The only variety to my 'uniform' is in the pants department: black, tan or gray. I like being boring and visually unobtrusive. It's just a happy coincidence that this color scheme works well on set. :lol: