soundiegirl

I have a schoeps MK41 that has a crackle that only shows up if I plug directly into my SD442 mixer. If I use a deneke phantom power supply the crackle is MIA. Thoughts? Help? Reasons why it is so?

I'm pretty sure it all ends in a European vaycay for my mic but I'm curious about the science behind this.

Thanks in advance!

Does it happen on all 4 inputs? Have you tried another mic on the input that is giving you trouble? Try a different cable too. I dont remember if it was a dirty pot or the input, but I had a crackle problem on a 442's #1 input which was fixed after sending to SD for service/cleaning.

I know some schoeps doesn't get enough voltage from certain mixers.. Are you running on internal batts? Try it with another mixer. When I was an intern on a comedy show some years ago we were running on the cantar and the boom op complained on this exact problem. Solution was external phantom box. On one scene we changed the cantar to the sd744 which was internally powered, and there was no issue! hope it turns out ok!

I have a schoeps MK41 that has a crackle that only shows up if I plug directly into my SD442 mixer. If I use a deneke phantom power supply the crackle is MIA. Thoughts? Help? Reasons why it is so?

I'm pretty sure it all ends in a European vaycay for my mic but I'm curious about the science behind this.

Thanks in advance!

Are the inputs set for 48v phantom & not 12v?

Eric

Hello,

try to play with the 48/12V switch , sometimes it stays just between the 2 positions because of the dust,...

You can do the same with the PH/T switch and the LINE/MIC switch, I had the same problem once.

For me ,great improvement of the 552 is the toggle switch for these functions.

Maybe....

This happened to me as well!

Hello,

try to play with the 48/12V switch , sometimes it stays just between the 2 positions because of the dust,...

You can do the same with the PH/T switch and the LINE/MIC switch, I had the same problem once.

For me ,great improvement of the 552 is the toggle switch for these functions.

Maybe....

Interesting guys. i am using a SD442 mixer which powers the mic from the mixer. I'm pretty sure it's set to 48PH but I will check this out asap. Both the deneke and PSC phantom power boxes power it just fine with no prob. It is only when in the mixer directly that this happens. I power the mixer with it's own NP1 which seems like it would perform as good as the 9 volt in the phantom power boxes...

Either way I am loth to send it to the factory to be cleaned when it performs just fine with the phantom power boxes.

I appreciate the help very much tho!

• 2 months later...

What's the best way to do that? Q-tips and alcohol?

Ideally, Stabilant 22:

http://www.posthorn.com/Stab_2.html

but I use alcohol, too. Don't use typical drug store rubbing alcohol, however, as it often has a large amount of water mixed in. The percentage should be listed on the label. I use denatured alcohol and have found the most cost-effective source to be the hardware store.

http://www.doitbest....-sku-775931.dib

You want a percentage of alcohol into the 90s with 98%, or more, being the ideal. If you're only cleaning your mics, then you don't need to worry about cost-effectiveness. I use it for tons of electronic (and some other) cleaning, so I buy it by the gallon. Drug stores probably have the higher grade stuff in the pharmacy so you'll probably need to ask.

Be really careful not to get any liquid down in the capsule or electronics, etc., so you don't want to have any liquid dripping from the applier. I typically use strips of thick, non-coated cardboard (dipped in denatured alcohol) to clean between the contact grooves. Again, don't get any liquid down into the units themselves and also be careful not to obliterate any writing such as a serial number, etc., and use a careful, gentle touch in order not to damage any fragile contacts.

Proceed at your own risk. I'm only offering advice, not guarantees.