CBS Radford

Morantzsound

First post. Glad to be a part of this forum!

I got some not very good news the other day and wanted to find out if anyone else was going through the same thing and what their feelings were.  I am starting a single camera series on the Radford lot and was told last week that for all new television shows on the lot this year CBS Radford would be supplying the sound package. I have heard in the past that they supplied audio for the multi-camera shows but this is the first time they are doing it for single camera. With Warner Bros. being the last of the studios to do this, it is sad that we have taken a step back. I, like most of us have spent the last several years building my sound package to a where it needs to be and rely on the equipment rental as well as having everything set up and configured the way I am accustomed to.  I understand that they have a sound dept. on the lot and they need to work as well.  With less multi-camera shows on the lot they have mouths to feed like all of us.  I am trying to work something out with my production to bring on board certain things that they don't have and I am crossing my fingers. Was wondering what experience other mixers have had recently on this subject.

Thanks,

Steve Morantz C.A.S.

First post. Glad to be a part of this forum!

I got some not very good news the other day and wanted to find out if anyone else was going through the same thing and what their feelings were.  I am starting a single camera series on the Radford lot and was told last week that for all new television shows on the lot this year CBS Radford would be supplying the sound package. I have heard in the past that they supplied audio for the multi-camera shows but this is the first time they are doing it for single camera. With Warner Bros. being the last of the studios to do this, it is sad that we have taken a step back. I, like most of us have spent the last several years building my sound package to a where it needs to be and rely on the equipment rental as well as having everything set up and configured the way I am accustomed to.  I understand that they have a sound dept. on the lot and they need to work as well.  With less multi-camera shows on the lot they have mouths to feed like all of us.  I am trying to work something out with my production to bring on board certain things that they don't have and I am crossing my fingers. Was wondering what experience other mixers have had recently on this subject.

Thanks,

Steve Morantz C.A.S.

From what I've heard Warner's did a pretty good job of getting the correct gear and properly configuring and maintaining it.  Does CBS have it that together?

Philip Perkins

I did a Radford show several years ago and they had all the (current at the time) right equipment. I'm not sure if they have similiar HD recorders you might have, Steve. It would be good to ask - if you haven't done so already.

I do want to caution you on providing some of your own gear under this scheme. I'm aware of the comfort level when we use our own equipment - BUT Radford, like Sony will pay you a token amount per week for it. This wil further their business plan of making a tidy some on their provided equipment and cheapening the value of yours. Sony and Warner Brothers charge each production a healthy amount - I remember seeing figures of at least $2500/wk or more.

Good luck, I've been in the same situation. I recently turned down a Warner Brothers TV series because of the no rental deal.

Regards,

Richard

Yes, I think that turning them down is the only way to retain the value of our packages.  But understand that there are really good mixers out there that play this game and own very little (or none) of their own gear and are perfectly content to go into the "factory" every day and bring home a pretty darned respectable paycheck.  As well, the studios will put you on the "weekly" rate (try and figure your timecard out on those!!) and then short you each week in hopes that you won't check or won't have the energy to follow up after weeks of 17-hour days.  On my last Warner job, we would just send our stubs over to the union and at the end of a 17-day pilot, I got $150 that I was owed, as did my utility.  My boom got over $200.  Don't let them get away with it.  It's cheating pure and simple!

Morantz,

very interesting. I was wondering why

late last year we sold CBS radford sound dept. 2 -DEVA V'S w/ all the  i/o's and hard drives.

don't really think they have the other "latest greatest" mics (schoeps cmit5u) or comtek pr216's etc. or lectro venue systems. they will probably have the basic gear. not a "PREMIUM" sound packahe that most of you own.