Want to Buy, Want to Sell

Fiftyfoot

I reject the argument that posting comments in a sale thread is "helping" someone who might be new to buying gear or whatnot. It's the job of everyone to know the value of things before they buy and, in these days of free, plentiful knowledge, there are ample ways to do that.

So if you found out that your aging grandmother was about to wire her life savings to a "very nice investment counselor" in Nigeria you'd avoid warning her of the high probability that she was about to be scammed because, well, she should have done her research? Warning someone that they're about to make a mistake is really just doing a good deed.

Many of us have found this group, and its camaraderie, useful in the buying, selling, and trading of gear, mostly related to our avocation...

and while on a couple of occasions there have been issues, overall it seems to have gone pretty smoothly, and, if fact, a few scammers have been outed, much to all of our benefit. We also tend to watch each others backs for misappropriated merchandise...

In the context of this group, I don't see a problem with comments and / or discussions along with the horse-trading, and our host and others seem to agree. I notice there are some members whose only participation is for such wheeling and dealing, and in any case, of course, these folks are all completely free to take their horse-trading elsewhere.

Great point that you make about a very different, but important issue. If the seller in question is a scammer then by all means post a warning in the thread.

So if you found out that your aging grandmother was about to wire her life savings to a "very nice investment counselor" in Nigeria you'd avoid warning her of the high probability that she was about to be scammed because, well, she should have done her research? Warning someone that they're about to make a mistake is really just doing a good deed.

{ I notice there are some members whose only participation is for such wheeling and dealing, and in any case, of course, these folks are all completely free to take their horse-trading elsewhere. }

Across the globe, you'll find there are people recording sound but not getting a Los Angeles union mixers rental rate on their kit. Better gear has no chance of coming without the sale of what came before. This is the number one gathering spot for users of this equipment. Equate us with 'wheelers and dealers', Nigerian princes, what you will, that's your right.

My point is the price on a sale thread can be assumed to be a starting point for negotiation unless you see a word like 'firm' after the number. Why should someone with no intention to buy, publicly start the negotiation? The mere act, coming from an uninterested third party, implies the OP is looking to pull a scam. This kills the thread. It's why other boards have rules against it.

Our host has stated his position and I understand and accept it.

But I can't help but observe that there are some members whose only participation in the group is to serve a personal need to post anywhere and everywhere, seemingly so they can revel in the sound of their own voice. I guess it's like a hit of morphine.

Scott

"Why should someone with no intention to buy, publicly start the negotiation? The mere act, coming from an uninterested third party, implies the OP is looking to pull a scam. This kills the thread. It's why other boards have rules against it.

Our host has stated his position and I understand and accept it."

Thank you. As I said, this forum is not in the business of making lots of rules. We are all sort of self-moderated, using such things as common sense and common decency to guide us rather than unenforceable and punitive rules.

"But I can't help but observe that there are some members whose only participation in the group is to serve a personal need to post anywhere and everywhere, seemingly so they can revel in the sound of their own voice. I guess it's like a hit of morphine."

I have observed this as well, I am sure many others have, and also that (quoting myself) "common sense and common decency" are sometimes in quite short supply for some of our members some of the time. This is just a fact of life, part of being human, and there is no rule nor moderation on my part that could effectively deal with this.

This is an open, public request to senator to please stop harassing my sales threads. You have posted irrelevant comments in two of them in the span of an hour.

It's hard to imagine that you did not know that I find it harassing since I posted my opinions on this subject so publicly in this thread but I think it's fair to give you the benefit of the doubt. If you would, kindly read that post now. Further postings like those that have killed my threads today will be considered deliberate and hostile.

I am sending you a PM as well.

This is an open, public request to senator to please stop harassing my sales threads. You have posted irrelevant comments in two of them in the span of an hour.

It's hard to imagine that you did not know that I find it harassing since I posted my opinions on this subject so publicly in this thread but I think it's fair to give you the benefit of the doubt. If you would, kindly read that post now. Further postings like those that have killed my threads today will be considered deliberate and hostile.

I am sending you a PM as well.

You really shouldn't take Senator's comments on your threads as personal. He makes non-worthwhile, superflous, and annoying comments on every thread he can.