Nagra Reel Nuts Thread Count

jawharp

Hey hey,

Anyone know the thread count for the reel tie down nuts on a Nagra 4.2? I can't figure out if it's metric or not. Looks like it could be.

Anyway, if you know it let me know. I'd like to find an alternative to finding actual nagra replacement ones.

Thanks,

joe

I don't know the thread count so I can't directly answer your question but I do have information that might be relevant. I think you may be stuck purchasing genuine Nagra components.

Nagra routinely manufactured their own screws to a proprietary pitch. This is why users swapping out pre-amps (QPM-3-5, QPSE-200, etc.) had to use the supplied Nagra screw to lock down the pre-amp to the receptacle in the chassis; only the Nagra screw would fit. I couldn't say whether this was coincidental (Nagra went their own way on a number of matters) or if it was a deliberate practice to discourage people from making components that might compete with the genuine factory items. Also, it's not necessarily true that every screw in the recorder was non-standard but many were.

Those nicely machined aluminum reel screws were pretty expensive. I recall they sold for about $30 for a set. But in later years Nagra also offered plastic reel nuts that were considerably less expensive. I think there is a high likelihood that you could still purchase them from a Nagra dealer.

David

Just checked the 'tie down nut' on my old Nagra - and ( don't ask me why!) checked it on a Schrader tire valve.It fits perfectly!

Details for the Schrader valve thread -

It's a TR-6 Schrader valve, 8mm OD (nominal). actual 7.7 mm

Thread designation is .305 "-32tpi or 7.70 mm x 0.794mm pitch

hope this helps!

Recording. I just got one because I just came off a job where the director requested a Nagra every day in addition to the other 2 machines we were rolling. I guess 7 weeks of loading the damn thing made me love it. I'd just stare at it next to the Sound Devices machine and the SD machine just looked like a toy.

100% Stockholm Syndrome.

Anyway, I like it alot.

Joe

Just checked the 'tie down nut' on my old Nagra - and ( don't ask me why!) checked it on a Schrader tire valve.It fits perfectly!

Details for the Schrader valve thread -

It's a TR-6 Schrader valve, 8mm OD (nominal). actual 7.7 mm

Thread designation is .305 "-32tpi or 7.70 mm x 0.794mm pitch

hope this helps!

If that's the case then just us an old tire valve cap to hold on your reels. You'll be the envy of every teamster!

• 7 years later...
On 3/21/2012 at 3:44 PM, jawharp said:

Tread M8x0,75mm

John

Hey hey,

Anyone know the thread count for the reel tie down nuts on a Nagra 4.2? I can't figure out if it's metric or not. Looks like it could be.

Anyway, if you know it let me know. I'd like to find an alternative to finding actual nagra replacement ones.

Thanks,

joe

I don't know the answer exactly but I do know that Kudelski was known for using his own specifications for screws and other threaded components. It may be that the threads do not conform to any standard. 

On the other hand, relatively inexpensive reel nuts made from plastic used to be available. I think they were available from Nagra. 

David