PSC RF multi and powered Antenna

ProSound

Looking for some real world feedback from other RF Multi users is anyone set up with Lectrosonics ALP 620 powered antenna http://www.lectrosonics.com/390-ALP620/View-details.html

If so I'd like some feedback on your range or feedback if there is a better powered antenna option for long runs. Also do you need any other power for the antenna or is the Rf multi supplying enough power thanks

I've been using one. It works great. I've experienced about a 30% increase in range although theoretically the circuitry inside the sma RF Multi should just make up for the splitting loss and not noticeably increase the gain. This was with a passive sharkfin antennas and 15' of Rg58. I just got powered sharkfins today and I will report about that later. I know this is a rather unscientific post, just my observation so far. Take it for what it's worth.

• 1 year later...

post: " Can I use the PSC Multi sma to boost smqv used as an IFB? "

nope...

" I'm having trouble getting it to work. Smqv into RF multi sma to ALP620. "

you have probably killed it...

" Just trying to see if I can get more range of a SMQV in IFB mode. "

Hudson River Range ??

you could get a linear amplifier, like CBer's use... 

you do need to do some reading up, and a call to the manufacturers involved could change your life!

Just to clarify, powered antenna are not designed to give you more range. They are designed to make up the loss of long cable run. Amplifier gain is does not mean more range. Just like a preamp, more gain means your are also bringing the background noise up with it. What makes for longer range is:

Frequency selection

Frequency coordination

Proper antenna placement ( up high and clear line of sight )

Unity gain of component

My two cents...

Now let's see how many people jump at my throat...

No jumping from me. Radio frequency gain is bit like digital recording - zero is the max - after that things go from great to bad. This is part of the reason that using a remote antenna system can be more complicated than it seems at first; a little bit of research and a little bit of math.

The correct selection of antenna can make or break it too. Too much gain, too much direction, too wide RF bandwidth.