Schoeps CMIT + Cinela Osix3

Matthias Richter

just FYI:

I sent one of my CMIT to Schoeps because I sometimes have some audible noise (sounds like a klick / klack) when moving / shaking the mic in the Cinela Osix (CMIT) suspension.

Apparently it´s not the mics fault (although my 2nd CMIT doesn´t show this symptom) but according to Schoeps the Cinela got a resonanz-freq at 20-25Hz which can overload a AD or DA converter and result is this klick / klack

On another note:

I have found the CMIT to be quite sensitive in picking up a hum / noise from mains-power.

Was shooting in a studio and picked up what sounded like a noisy ballast but was just the in-house installation at the wall / ceiling. Held the mic close to the lead and it was really loud. Changed to a MK41 and was clean.

Matthias

This is very interesting -

I just developed the exact same symptoms described with my CMIT this week. It's intermittent, but i appears when most inconvenient. I changed out everything in the signal path, but it's exhibiting the same behavior with any of several preamps/power supplies.

-Adam

The Schoeps CMIT is ultra sensitive to low frequencies and they can overdrive the AD converter or preamps on your recorder or mixer. This was the case with my CMIT when I first got it as well as with my Neumann KMR81. A little filtration is necessary. I now go to the 60 Hz -6dB setting when using those mics with my Cantar.

The Schoeps CMIT is ultra sensitive to low frequencies and they can overdrive the AD converter or preamps on your recorder or mixer. This was the case with my CMIT when I first got it as well as with my Neumann KMR81. A little filtration is necessary. I now go to the 60 Hz -6dB setting when using those mics with my Cantar.

+1

Here's an update on my CMIT 5U's issue:

I spoke with the product rep at Redding Audio. He said they'd heard ground hums with the mic before if the 4 Torx T6 screws near the XLR mount. I tightened them up & can't reproduce the issue right now, so hopefully this fixed it & my mic can avoid a German vacation. I was told that at some point in the manufacturing run the factory started using LocTite on these screws because of this.

[Margus & Jan - This is definitely a ground hum problem, at least with my mic.]

well dang, that's the symptom i had w mine, i could wiggle the xlr slightly and the buzz would either get worse or disappear. at any rate i think it's on its way to germany already. sent it to trew nashville hoping they could find something simple such as what you found w your torx screws but they fwd'd it to redding already, and if no one stopped to look at it, it would have left yesterday w redding's friday shipment to germany. at least it'll get a full checkup. either way buying a 8060 on monday.

(null)

I am confused. Is the original post about the SUPER CMIT ? ? ? Somehow I think it switched to the 5U.

I have been interested in the Super Cmit for a while, so I would be curious to know if people are experiencing problems wtih them.

THANKS.

Awesome info. 8)

I use the low cut on the mic itself and a low cut on my mixer or recorder (80Hz / 18dB per oktave). Normally that should be low cut enough to prevent the input from clipping. Schoeps said they checked 6 or 7 different CMITs with my Cinela all with the same effect. It´s just weird that my 2nd CMIT doesn´t produce that sound at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two cmit's, one with the old style cinela wire suspension, one with the newer type plastic suspension.

The wire type never has a problem, the plastic one has handling problems, clicks, clanks.

I have tried both mics with both suspensions, older wired type is always perfect with either mic.

Why did they change it?

Is your suspension wire or the newer plastic type?