Redcine latest build sync problem

The show I'm currently on is shooting on Red Epic. A company was contracted to do all the transcoding and syncing. Audio not being sent to camera. I get a call that on day 2, over 20 percent of the clips are out of sync that I (sound) must fix. I called Denecke to check with them and they haven't heard of any issues. Got with the dit and scanned through clips. Everything looked good. After a few emails back and forth an issue was found with Redcine X. The latest build is having problems with one audio file is used to sync with 2 Red Clips. The post house dropped back a version and all is well. Be warned if this happens on your shoot,,

Mark

There was a ligit reason for concern by all. There would be a scene where takes 1 and 3 were in sync with take 2 out by 8 frames.. It was also peppered by the fact that a second show is running and they had bad problems caused by incorrectly setting up the sync box. The key to finding the issue was on takes with more than 4 tracks, RedCine would brain fart. Any clips below that track count in the poly wav file would not have the issue...

• 2 weeks later...

I get a call that on day 2, over 20 percent of the clips are out of sync that I (sound) must fix. ...After a few emails back and forth an issue was found with Redcine X. The latest build is having problems with one audio file is used to sync with 2 Red Clips.

I hope the morons who did this apologized to you!

If they're using RedcineX Pro, are they getting the embedded audio in the clip (assuming there's a scratch track being sent to camera)? I had been told there were issues with Premiere and some other programs in being unable to retrieve the audio from clips. I guess I'm old school -- I just assume the assistant editor will sit there for an hour and manually sync everything up, film-style, using the timecode slate. I'm flummoxed as to why anybody objects to this, since it's fairly trivial and the assistant has to organize all the bins, name the takes, backup the drives, set up the session, and all the other things necessary for the editor. Syncing is extremely trivial... assuming the sound is good, the timecode is good, and the slates are readable (and accurate).

Well, you know they can import all the audio tracks, and then turn everything off in the timeline except for the mix track. Then, when they lock their edit, they can export all the audio tracks for a sound editor (assuming they do a real mix) and let the sound editor decide whether or not to use any of the isos. But... that requires a lot of thought and planning.

There's a whole bunch of ways to do this. For example, they can use something like XML-Pro to import the EDL from the Final Cut Pro session into Pro Tools, then reimport all the original sound files and create a new conform with the original production tracks:

PTsession.jpg