Audacity 2.0

OmahaAudio

Cool. I use it all the time.

I took the ProTools class, but it was too confusing. Wish there was a 1-day ProTools class for playback, with a nice cheat sheet for shortcuts.

I'm sure someone can help you out with this. You can PM me with personal questions about Pro Tools. would be happy to help and provide a list of key commands for a certain job type.

Doh, I had to take a 4-day Pro Tools class to get through 101 and 102. I understand it well enough to cobble my way through it. Definitely a cryptic program in certain aspects.

I think Pro Tools is ideal for very complex playback situations -- a musical film or TV series, for example -- but for an everyday TV commercial or music video, I think a program like Courtney Goodin's BWF-Widget will be every bit as good and much less complex.

I have played around with Audacity, and just get frustrated by its inability to do things "The Pro Tools Way." I had that same feeling trying to use Word Perfect instead of Wordstar (or Microsoft Word), back in the day.

(Only very old people will remember Wordstar. That was such a cool program in the 1980s...)

Audacity, Sound Studio, Sound Forge (the stereo version) all are very similar, if you know one you can easily use the others. They have a very different approach to editing than ProTools (most other multitrack daws are much more similar to PT than they are to Sound Forge etc), this difference has some advantages and some drawbacks. In any case the 3 apps mentioned are cheap, lightweight and pretty reliable, and will work well for most simple playback and location-edit needs. I've done some pretty big jobs with all 3 at one time or another....

phil p