Lectrosonics 411a/um400a very random bubbly soft popping

Scotty What

Hi all,

I just miced up someone today with the above system and very random, without a mic plugged in, I hear a very random popping. Almost like a cable popping but softer and not scratchy. The system work perfect the last time I used it. My experience with troubleshooting wireless is not much. So any help would be great. I swapped batts, antenna and jiggled it violently with no specific result. Very random and not caused by vibration.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Put the transmitter into the refrigerator for 10 minutes and then, while the 5 pin is still cool, exhale into the connector. See if this replicates the problem. If so, the jack needs to be cleaned with alchohol.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I plugged in the mic and wore it myself for about 20 min last night with no issue replication. Maybe it dried out or whatever. I guess I'll just keep working it.

Thanks for all your ideas.

Scott

Thanks for the info Larry. I plugged it in for the first time today an immediately heard the issue. I have phones on now and it's doing it. It sounds like the microwave popcorn when it's almost done. I alcohol swab the connector and that didn't fix it. It will act up just sitting on the counter.

Do you have a second transmitter on the same frequency you can test to make sure it is indeed the transmitter that is noisy?

LEF

Thanks for the info Larry. I plugged it in for the first time today an immediately heard the issue. I have phones on now and it's doing it. It sounds like the microwave popcorn when it's almost done. I alcohol swab the connector and that didn't fix it. It will act up just sitting on the counter.

I do. I'll test tonight and report. I managed to get another for the rest of the shoot... Thank you Charlie Tamaras if I need to have it repaired, should I send it to LSC in LA or send it to Lectrosonics? I will prolly send the two that I have and service them both at the same time.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Scott

Lectro loves Location Sound but on weird things, mother (ship) knows best.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I do. I'll test tonight and report. I managed to get another for the rest of the shoot... Thank you Charlie Tamaras if I need to have it repaired, should I send it to LSC in LA or send it to Lectrosonics? I will prolly send the two that I have and service them both at the same time.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Scott

Thanks all. Here is my current test sinario, (the original issue was with um400a and 411a pluged into ch2 of 788t powered by np1/psc distro) ...I ran a ucr211/um200 all day today with no issues. So it doesn't seem to be the channel. Right now ive been listening to a um400a on the 411a (the issue sys) on ch2 ....with no issues for about 40 min. Prior to this I plugged in to ch8 with a um400 (dif tx) and 411a (issue sys) and had no issues for about 20 min. ....did I get a visit from the "fixit fairy" and made it all better?

I'll make throught the show and keep testing. Then I'll look to be sending both my systems in for a check up.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrr....Scott