Nomad users: What are the specs on your Breakaway Cable?

Adam Aslan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I built all my breakaway cables with two sets of Neutricon 8 pin connectors. So that I can have several mixer ends as well as several camera ends and I just run the appropriate length of cable between them. I have several 15 and 25 foot runs of cable - so I can use just one length or add an additional length to the run if necessary.

As for the mixer end I built two cables that each have two TA5's on them - one TA5 is the two channel camera send and the other is the two channel (stereo) camera return. I also have a similar mixer end that has two XLR females on it.

The attached images are two photos of the mixer end - withTA5's and one of the camera end.

post-1067-0-51210500-1332804776.jpg

post-1067-0-57077000-1332804795.jpg

post-1067-0-18036100-1332804810.jpg

I built all my breakaway cables with two sets of Neutricon 8 pin connectors. So that I can have several mixer ends as well as several camera ends and I just run the appropriate length of cable between them. I have several 15 and 25 foot runs of cable - so I can use just one length or add an additional length to the run if necessary.

As for the mixer end I built two cables that each have two TA5's on them - one TA5 is the two channel camera send and the other is the two channel (stereo) camera return. I also have a similar mixer end that has two XLR females on it.

The attached images are two photos of the mixer end - withTA5's and one of the camera end.

What cable are you using?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I notice a few people have gone with 8pin Neutricon.

Is there any reason for this over 10pin Hirose or vice versa?

Nope - I think it comes down to personal preference. I first started using the Neutricon 20 years or so ago because that is what most people I knew were using. Now I am so entrenched in Neutricon - that it would be expensive and a pain in the ass to change everything I have over.

I notice a few people have gone with 8pin Neutricon.

Is there any reason for this over 10pin Hirose or vice versa?

For semi permanent installation, like the output of a mixer, a Hirose is great. Big and solid.

My second mixer was a Cooper 104. It was equipped with a Hirose, so I made all my cables to camera using the same connector. Push in while you screw, pull out while you unscrew. There's a good joke there somewhere, I just can't find it. The Hirose has 3 screws that can come loose over time. Two are on the cable clamp - I've lost a couple over the years, but the most important one is the one holding the sleeve to the pin part. If that one comes loose, you might be twisting the wires inside the connector every time you plug in/out. Not a good thing.

I discovered the Neutricon when I bought my 442. I bought RA cables at the same time. The Neutricon really shines when it comes to multiple plug-in/plug-out during a day, with a breakaway for example. It's faster than a Hirose, very reliable, and smaller.

• 2 months later...

I just made a breakaway cable using Mogami 2931 with Neutricon 8 connectors and I'm experiencing clicks and pops when moving the cable on the 2 XLR channels. I'm thinking it might be due to the shared ground between the 2 xlr channels being a spiral as opposed to braided shield and capacitance being built up and discharged as spiral braids come into contact with each other mid cable. I also may have compromised the integrity of the shield by cutting some of it to allow it to fit in the small solder cups on the Nuetricon connectors, though I did tin the combined shields further back on the cable to make sure all of the shield wires were connected. Has anyone experienced these clicks and pops? If so, how were you able to remedy the situation? Maybe I'm missing something on how to fit all those shield wires into a Neutricon 8 connector.