Nomad users: What are the specs on your Breakaway Cable?

Adam Aslan

You will not be able to complete the circuits w/o a ground connection. Using the ground tab in the XLR will not do it as that is a chassis ground not a circuit ground. 

Eric

Thanks Eric.

And thanks Rich.

Senator i have had you on mute since quite some time ago.

If this info can save you some keystrokes, no need to thank me, I already feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will not be able to complete the circuits w/o a ground connection. Using the ground tab in the XLR will not do it as that is a chassis ground not a circuit ground. 

Eric

if the 7 pin XLR was used on the cable ends only, then could the shell not be used to make the ground connection? with ground being connected to pin 1 (assuming its not a 10 pin hirose or similar) on the breakout ends?

if the 7 pin XLR was used on the cable ends only, then could the shell not be used to make the ground connection? with ground being connected to pin 1 (assuming its not a 10 pin hirose or similar) on the breakout ends?

It's gonna be a 7pin-to7pin mid section with mixer tails (2 x TA5 into Nomad) and various camera tails.

The shell tab for ground grounds the connector to the chassis so there's no issue with voltage spikes. It does nothing for the circuit ground. Think of it like a 3 prong ac plug, you can use a ground lifter to lift (electrically) the circular ground pin and the circuit still works. 

Eric  

• 11 months later...

any of you use the breakaway snakes for also sending timecode to camera?,  is it risky regarding crosstalk?,   looking at buying a PSC Nomad breakaway setup,  most breakaways don't accomodate timecode.

I have ERX for timecode, but figured as a backup it would be nice to have timecode as a 4th line in the snake if possible. 

FWIW i had seemingly good success for a friend adding canare cable wired for tc to his existing camera snake with 1" pieces of heatshrink every foot or so. If you lay it out just so you can get the coiling between the two cables to match well. Ta3 connectors were used to have a break for the added tc cable.

Ken