Nomad Zaxnet jumper cable

noeld

Has anyone used a jumper cable to move the zaxnet antenna to a different location in the bag?

My bag won't allow for me to use the anttena in it's normal spot. I like the bag, I don't want a new one.

I'm looking at these options on link and mounting in the bag.

http://www.surplussales.com/Connectors/SMA-4.html

I love the bag, but it's too tight for zaxnet antenna. I have a Cisco systems engineer working on a jumper cable. I'll let you know what I find.

see if someone with a 788 wants your bag, and order the 614a (a for antenna?). ebay is a source for jumpers if you have no luck.

ao

Where are u finding 614a listed?

I couldn't find it on Petrol site.

Thanks

my dealer told me about it. I do not see it on the petrol website either. perhaps an nab launch, or they might sneak it in under the radar because of the oversight. the right angle connector on the ifb antenna takes up more space than one would expect.

ao

Tom, Let me know after you test it. Also HOW MUCH?

The two antennas were $11.19 for both and the jumpers were $7.99. Shipping from China was free too. The seller's eBay ID is "chinarf". I just did a non-scientific test, randomly tried two different frequencies and did a little walk-around-test at my home. With a few walls in the way, the stock antennas did very poorly and could barely get out of my house where the new ones were doing much better. I don't think they added significant range, big picture wise, but where the stock ones were failing, the new ones were still receiving strong, they would just fail a few more paces away though.

Placing my transmitter outside, seemed to give me a range that was anywhere from 10% to 100% better, depending on what frequency I chose. The QRX-100 were being used as transmitters and the stock antenna was just placed on the right unit, where the new antennas were placed only about an inch away from the left side of the ZaxPaq. The stock antennas are omnidirectional low gain, where the 5dB is a bit more sensitive to proper antenna placement as they have null spots along the axis of the dipole (i.e. don't point the antenna directly at the receiver), but it is still pretty progressive and forgiving and appropriate enough for bag use, just make sure they stay more or less straight up and down. If figure if you put them up high and away from the bag entirely, it should do even better.

I swapped frequencies on the QRX's then, to make sure I wasn't getting a result that was skewed by interference, repeated the tests, and they were more or less consistent with my original test. The open air range did not give me 100% improvement this time, though, something a bit less.

I figure the next step is getting a bag friendly RF amplifier in there to muscle through any further range issues. Anyone have any suggestions?

Even if they didn't improve range, which they did, it was worth it just to be able to put my antennas someplace more convenient and to not stress the bulkhead SMA fitting / nut on the QRX. The fit is still tight, even with the low profile right angle SMA. The back side of the fitting is basically snug up against the adjacent QRX receiver.

• 3 weeks later...

my dealer told me about it. I do not see it on the petrol website either. perhaps an nab launch, or they might sneak it in under the radar because of the oversight. the right angle connector on the ifb antenna takes up more space than one would expect.

ao

Anybody heard anything more about this PS614a ?