Horita PG-2100... Anyone using them as Lockbox alternative

I would also add to the above that the Denecke GR-2 weighs half a pound and is built of solid aluminum, so I suspect it will survive a 3-foot drop to concrete. Not so sure about Horita -- but I have used Horita products before in very controlled studio situations (usually readers), and they're OK.

GR2_front_2_w_small.jpg

If nothing else, the Denecke has a much nicer look and more solid feel, plus I think their timecode stability is second to none.

• 1 month later...

I've use them for a while and they are 'reasonable'.... For timecode transcripts or some light duty timecode, ideally Ambient products are the bomb and much more solid than Deneke or Horita, but where the real world meets your ideals, Horita is a viable option for 29 and 24 based timecode

I've use them for a while and they are 'reasonable'.... For timecode transcripts or some light duty timecode, ideally Ambient products are the bomb and much more solid than Deneke or Horita, but where the real world meets your ideals, Horita is a viable option for 29 and 24 based timecode

Where your ideals and budget meet non-TXCO time code clocks there are sync problems.

phil p

I have been using the Horita PGT since i won it at NAB2006 (yes, lucky me). I have used it as a generator to sync slates and also as a locket box on multiple cameras (from sony, through Red and Alexa, to Genesis and AAton). I have never had any sync problems or any post house chasing me about drifts. Yes it is plastic, but is lighter than the Deneke (camera people like that, specially on handheld mode). Yes it is RCA connector, but it is easy and cheap to get adaptors and cables. Yes the switch is very expose, i don't like that, but i made a little plastic cover that goes on top and problem solved. One really good thing, is you can see the timecode been displayed (at least on the PGT). And i can confirm, it does all the current frame rates, including 23.97.

It is a good product and the fact that is cheaper doesn't mean is no good, just that is no Deneke. If budget is not a worry, deneke products are more solid and robust, but horita product work perfectly and for the price of one, you get 2.

I have been using the Horita PGT since i won it at NAB2006 (yes, lucky me). I have used it as a generator to sync slates and also as a locket box on multiple cameras (from sony, through Red and Alexa, to Genesis and AAton). I have never had any sync problems or any post house chasing me about drifts. Yes it is plastic, but is lighter than the Deneke (camera people like that, specially on handheld mode). Yes it is RCA connector, but it is easy and cheap to get adaptors and cables. Yes the switch is very expose, i don't like that, but i made a little plastic cover that goes on top and problem solved. One really good thing, is you can see the timecode been displayed (at least on the PGT). And i can confirm, it does all the current frame rates, including 23.97.

It is a good product and the fact that is cheaper doesn't mean is no good, just that is no Deneke. If budget is not a worry, deneke products are more solid and robust, but horita product work perfectly and for the price of one, you get 2.

Have you tested this device against a known-steady clocked device, like the TC generator in a Denecke, Ambient, Sound Devices etc box? The Horita site provides no technical info on this box at all, like clock accuracy or how long one could expect a frame-accurate jam to hold. At this price it is very unlikely to have the sort of accurate clock found in more expensive devices, which is necessary for longterm sync, especially in varying temperatures. And the fact that post hasn't chased you re TC sync doesn't at all mean there weren't any issues--it could mean that they solved the problem themselves and didn't bother to try and find you! This happens all the time! I'd love to see the results of a test of the Horita vs. the more accepted TC generators, especially done in situations where the equipment is warm then cold then warm again etc..

phil p

Have you tested this device against a known-steady clocked device, like the TC generator in a Denecke, Ambient, Sound Devices etc box? The Horita site provides no technical info on this box at all, like clock accuracy or how long one could expect a frame-accurate jam to hold. At this price it is very unlikely to have the sort of accurate clock found in more expensive devices, which is necessary for longterm sync, especially in varying temperatures. And the fact that post hasn't chased you re TC sync doesn't at all mean there weren't any issues--it could mean that they solved the problem themselves and didn't bother to try and find you! This happens all the time! I'd love to see the results of a test of the Horita vs. the more accepted TC generators, especially done in situations where the equipment is warm then cold then warm again etc..

phil p

Hi Phil

I recently did a long documentary for CocaCola and the Olympics (http://www.somesuchandco.com/directors/kim-gehrig/beat-2012-trailer/) and i used the Horita PGT as a lockit box. I used my 788t as a master to lock the horita box and with it i locked the other 2 788t we used for FX. I re-jammed the box at lunch time. Then i kept the PGT on the RED camera as this camera sucks when it comes to TC. I was involved in the sound post and know the studio, and after 6 months, 5 countries and temps up to 40C (105F?) we didn't have one issue.

I don't know if i have been lucky, but 6 year of experience with it have been a good proof for me it works very well.

Hi Phil

I recently did a long documentary for CocaCola and the Olympics (http://www.somesucha...t-2012-trailer/) and i used the Horita PGT as a lockit box. I used my 788t as a master to lock the horita box and with it i locked the other 2 788t we used for FX. I re-jammed the box at lunch time. Then i kept the PGT on the RED camera as this camera sucks when it comes to TC. I was involved in the sound post and know the studio, and after 6 months, 5 countries and temps up to 40C (105F?) we didn't have one issue.

I don't know if i have been lucky, but 6 year of experience with it have been a good proof for me it works very well.

That's great to know, but you didn't answer my questions. Post deals with flaky TC all the time (at least I do) and makes it work. I would not recommend this box w/o a test like I described and some real specs from the manufacturer similar to what Ambient and Denecke provide. I like to know what the sync gear I use is doing (or supposed to be doing). So many devices (esp cameras) we deal with today are very "approximate" sync wise so I like my my TC gear to act as a fixed point in the TC universe.

phil p

I did one 3D shoot with it. The dp swore by it but the producer/editor told me the tc was all over the place so they didn't use the camera tc at all. He synched everything the old fashioned; way with the sticks. I dont know if it was an PEBKAC but I wouldn't trust the Horita for anything my employment relied on.