Civility

BrianW

Okay, I'm the FNG around here as it were, but I have a suggestion regarding moderation. It's only a suggestion, and I do know how much work is involved in moderation forums, so I won't be offended either way. Maybe you're even already doing this, but a recent thread has motivated me to give this thought.

I think that people should be able to disagree on just about anything and still be able to "get along", as long as when they disagree they stick to discussing the positive value of their own opinion. When it turns to putting down the other person, or even generalizing/classing people who hold an opposing view, perhaps warnings could be issued.

I understand that sometimes it can be valuable to point out flaws in an opposing view, such as, "well, that won't work because placing a lav in someone's butt crack is likely to pick up more unwanted sounds than the dialog you're after", so that's not what I mean, as long as it's followed up with why they believe another specific method might be better. I'm talking about when the argument turns into, "well, you're stupid if you believe that", or things like, 'well, anyone who believes/does that is a pussy". Or anything that degrades the other person or group rather than promoting the value of the individual's own viewpoint.

I think it's a measurable standard that wouldn't be too difficult to define clearly, even though it may take up more time in executing moderation.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope that you don't think I'm criticizing how the board is run, because I've truly gained allot by being here. Thanks again for putting this all together.

You're asking people to be reasonable? Not gonna happen.

It's way too easy to fire off a message and have a tantrum when you're not directly in front of the person you're arguing with. I suspect 3/4 of the arguments here would never happen in real life, because people would immediately back down the moment somebody takes a step forward and raises an eyebrow.

To me, it's all about picking your battles, knowing when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em. A bunch of ASCII text on a screen is rarely worth getting upset about, especially when it's just armchair pundits shooting from the hip on the net.